Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 PM

141 posts, read 234,667 times

Advertisements

Do you only want to be around your own race when it comes to friendsships or do you make a consertive effort to have friends of different races/ethnic groups?

I'm not talking about work related situations where you only interact while at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 PM

27,453 posts, read 1,054,960 times
I'm lost. I never understood this "try to make friends with so-and-so" thing. I never tried. If it happened, it happened. Even when you layered your effort with race, it'd still not be something to try to do, I don't think. It all seems so engineered rather than natural.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:02 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
No, I don't make a deliberate effort to make friends with people of other races. When it comes to friends, we either click, or we don't.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I have friends who are black, Mexican, Asian, Russian, Japanese, and even Californians. Hearing about different cultures and just the little differences in thinking is fascinating. But I have discovered that people are just people. Everyone has the same happiness, fears, struggles, and issues as the next guy.

Oh I don't make an effort, look there's a Klingon, I'm gonna make nice. Guess I'm more open than some folks.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:14 PM

141 posts, read 234,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniemae View Post
I'm lost. I never understood this "try to make friends with so-and-so" thing. I never tried. If it happened, it happened. Even when you layered your effort with race, it'd still not be something to try to do, I don't think. It all seems so engineered rather than natural.

I am in the business community a great deal in my city. I make bbreat efforts to do business with other ethnic groups. I go where they are and try to create long-term relationships.

That's the same way I am with my friendships.

I am the Director Of Finance, I make hiring decisions. I make effrots to hire women and blacks in Finance positions. Mainly because diversity is good and getting different perspectives from a diverse groupd of people is great too.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Most of my friends are a different "race" than me. Its more about who I enjoy spending time with and care about. There also aren't a lot of other people of my race in my current city.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I am in the business community a great deal in my city. I make bbreat efforts to do business with other ethnic groups. I go where they are and try to create long-term relationships.

I am the Director Of Finance, I make hiring decisions. I make effrots to hire women and blacks in Finance positions. Mainly because diversity is good and getting different perspectives from a diverse groupd of people is great too.

I'm an accounting major and have been noticing that very few women reach higher level positions in finance/accounting type jobs.
I have interned at an insurance company and interviewed at another one and it seriously felt like I traveled in time at both companies. All of the managers were white men with similar backgrounds and they all had young attractive interns/assistants most of whom were white women. It was like being in Mad Men.

At the other insurance company, I was taken on a tour of the office with a group of 20 other prospective interns (18 men, 2 women including myself). One employee came up to the HR lady who was giving us a tour and told her to hire more women because everyone there was a man!

I never got that job. I wonder if the other girl did. Those two companies which are both F100 insurance companies really turned me off to ever working full-time at an insurance company again. This happened in 2012.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM

142 posts, read 205,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
i have friends who are black, mexican, asian, russian, japanese, and even californians. Hearing about different cultures and just the little differences in thinking is fascinating. But i have discovered that people are just people. Everyone has the same happiness, fears, struggles, and issues as the next guy.

Oh i don't make an effort, look there's a klingon, i'm gonna make nice. Guess i'm more open than some folks.
:d

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
I am really particular about applying the term "friend" to someone. They really have to be trustworthy, and I can count my true friends on one hand.

So, seeing as how that is the case for me, I can't imagine further narrowing the potential friend pool by selecting people based on race or ethnicity. If it happens that way great, if not, whatever.

Acquaintances are a whole other story.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I don't make an "effort" to make or have friends of a different race.

However, I've ended up with two very close friends of a different race/color/what have you and it was completely, well, meh and unintended and in fact I can barely believe I'm posting about it here because seriously it should be an unremarkable thing..

So, yeah. Friends as in, would loan/borrow money to and from, would and have help move, have their house keys in case of emergency, have visited in hospital, know family members, will look after dog in case of emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships