Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 05:28 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,006 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that many people only consider you a friend when they need something from you. Very few people hit there friends up just to chat and catch up. I almost never hear from my friends unless they comment on something I post on Facebook or Instagram. They almost never text me or message me. Yes, sometimes I hit them up just to see what’s going on but most of the time it seems like we just don’t have much in common to talk about. I have grown tired of trying to make new friends through meetups or other social venues. Any of you in my situation ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 05:54 PM

11,092 posts, read 7,154,662 times
I really don't have any friends any more, but it's for various reasons (nothing dark or sinister on my part). But I'm perfectly fine with it. I have no demands, and no needs. If friends come along, that would be great and welcomed. But otherwise, I'll keep things free and light. I guess I've grown tired of wrestling with much of life that can't be changed. So I adopted a different approach that keeps me positive and undemanding. Takes the strain and load off of life.

You mentioned Facebook, but that seems to largely make people for fake and superficial. No one really seems to be real with themselves or each other. A lot seems to be self-promotion. And the whole communicating online / remotely will never compare to living / breathing interaction, looking into each other's eyes, body language, all the dynamics or personal interaction. Of course, in contrast, we're here communicating in a worthy way. So, there's some hope.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-08-2021 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 04:38 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
It depends how much you value human interaction. I find most of it to be a colossal pain in the hole and would rather spend time reading, writing, watching movies or listening to music. Lockdown, such as it was in my neck of the woods, gave me a perfect excuse to keep to myself, stay home and enjoy all my favourite hobbies. I suggest the OP find some pastimes that don't depend on others joining in and keep himself happy and busy that way.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:38 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I gave up years ago. I have two cats and I'm fine with it, lol

Old 04-09-2021, 12:47 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
The couple of friendships I had here, shrank to almost nothing when they moved back to the U.S.

We are friendly with our neighbors, but don't share anything except a few outings and trips to the store, happy hour at the gazebo. We (condo) are 90% single retired men, strangely, so I don't have many options. I consider them more friendly acquaintances. But they'd be there in an emergency, so...

I really wish I had someone "to talk to" but that just isn't in the cards and I've come to terms with it...

Sometimes it makes life easier, as mentioned above.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:17 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I see my friends regularly and we are thoughtful and helpful to each other. But that's about a half dozen people. It would be harder to maintain large groups of friends because friendships need maintenance. I have some pretty nice acquaintances, too, and if they needed something from me, let's say a trip to the airport, I'd be fine with it. A couple times a year. That doesn't mean I would be driving them there or anywhere on a weekly basis. One must have boundaries.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:29 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
This forum is riddled with petulant threads about friendships. It always surprises me how difficult it is for many people to decide what "friend" actually means. What many seem to demand from casual acquaintance-level friends often seems unreasonable. The conflicts they feel they must dump long term friendships over are often trivial. People who complain that they don't have any friends are often the same people who live inside their own heads; their own views, their own problems, their own joys. Their world has a population of one. Other people pick up on that and realize there's nothing there for them.

FWIW, I only have a few people I consider close friends. They have been there for decades. They don't demand anything from me nor I from them. We may not chat that often but it doesn't matter much. When we do, its meaningful. We know each other so well superficial things don't matter. We invest time and energy in each other because we care deeply about the person they are, not just what we can get out of them. No scorecards...who always calls first, how often they get in touch, who updates FB, who doesn't, blah blah blah.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-09-2021 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-09-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This forum is riddled with petulant threads about friendships. It always surprises me how difficult it is for many people to decide what "friend" actually means. What many seem to demand from casual acquaintance-level friends often seems unreasonable. The conflicts they feel they must dump long term friendships over are often trivial. People who complain that they don't have any friends are often the same people who live inside their own heads; their own views, their own problems, their own joys. Their world has a population of one. Other people pick up on that and realize there's nothing there for them.

FWIW, I only have a few people I consider close friends. They have been there for decades. They don't demand anything from me nor I from them. We may not chat that often but it doesn't matter much. When we do, its meaningful. We know each other so well superficial things don't matter. We invest time and energy in each other because we care deeply about the person they are, not just what we can get out of them. No scorecards...who always calls first, how often they get in touch, who updates FB, who doesn't, blah blah blah.
I don’t understand what you are saying. I don’t think there is anything wrong with expecting someone to act like a friend if they claim they are your friend. A friendship is a type of relationship and all relationships take work to maintain. What’s wrong with expecting someone to check in with you once in a while ? What’s a friendship without communication?

Old 04-09-2021, 04:07 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I don’t understand what you are saying. I don’t think there is anything wrong with expecting someone to act like a friend if they claim they are your friend. A friendship is a type of relationship and all relationships take work to maintain. What’s wrong with expecting someone to check in with you once in a while ? What’s a friendship without communication?
I didn't claim friends don't need to communicate. I wrote that there shouldn't need to be an expectation of how frequently or who always initiates it. That's the "scorecard" aspect I believe is petty. Unrealistic expectations can doom friendships.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I didn't claim friends don't need to communicate. I wrote that there shouldn't need to be an expectation of how frequently or who always initiates it. That's the "scorecard" aspect I believe is petty. Unrealistic expectations can doom friendships.
Ok that makes sense then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships