Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,333,155 times

Advertisements

Nah, no introvert here, currently I had lunch and I'm tired of doing bank books and I'm getting ready to fix a fresh cup of coffee and switching between here, my game site and bank books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,820,202 times
Introverts, Extroverts, Perverts. It's all good. I just don't take anything here too seriously. It's just fun.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,474,741 times
Whenever I take the Meyers-Briggs I always come up a strong "I", but I'm not awkward or shy (I don't think. ) Like, this morning I had back to back to back meetings, and I feel totally zonked right now from having to be "on." I'm glad I can sit in my office with the door shut for the rest of the day.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:02 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,487,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Whenever I take the Meyers-Briggs I always come up a strong "I", but I'm not awkward or shy (I don't think. ) Like, this morning I had back to back to back meetings, and I feel totally zonked right now from having to be "on." I'm glad I can sit in my office with the door shut for the rest of the day.
Introversion does not necessarily come with a side dish of awkward or shy. You sound just like the way I feel after being around people. I have to have the ME time to recharge myself between the "ON" times.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,383,291 times
Am I an introvert ? Yes. Do I also have a history of (offline) relationships ? Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I think that I'm attracted to forums in general because you can find like minded people to discuss your chosen topic/interest/hobby. Introverts cringe when they have to make small talk in real life. We're very quiet until there is a common interest, and then you can't shut us up.
That^, esp. the last line, is oh-so-true for me.

Quotes from Susan Cain's "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking", 2012-
Quote:
Originally Posted by book excerpt
pg.63: "[quoting Pete Cashmore] 'Perhaps social media affords us the control we lack in real life socializing: the screen as a barrier between us and the world.' "
"The same person who finds it difficult to introduce himself to strangers might establish a presence online and then extend these relationships into the real world."
Quote:
pg.107: "...as he [Jerome Kagan] notes that many high-reactives become writers or pick other intellectual vocations where 'you're in charge: you close the door, pull down the shades and do your work. You're protected from encountering unexpected things.' "
Quote:
pg.269: "This book is about introversion as seen from a cultural point of view. Its primary concern is the age-old dichotomy between the 'man of action' and the 'man of contemplation', and how we could improve the world if only there were a greater balance of power between the two types."

Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,550,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie ribbons View Post
I ask this because there are a lot of adult virgins and people who have never had a date before in their life posting here.

seems like introverts are more drawn to message boards in general..just my personal observation i could be wrong
Not true. I come here to find out what other people think, amuse myself, laugh, etc. It's fun. I think we have more fun people posting on these boards than virgin introverts.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,358,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm not an introvert or socially awkward, I just enjoy posting here. I think a lot of posters here are just normal people who enjoy wasting time browsing around here. It's not that much different than watching TV or reading or anything else people do to pass the time. And there are a lot of other great boards besides the relationship centered ones - I'm a big fan of the pets and food & drink sections.
I'm not sure if that was just sloppy language, but introverts ARE normal. Depending on the study, 1/3 to 1/2 of the US population is considered introverted.

Another person mention the NYT best selling book, "Quiet". I just finished this book and it is excellent! I highly recommend reading it. The odds are either you, your spouse/significant other, family member, or child is introverted and this book will really help open your eyes and allow you to relate better to others.

I'm introverted and the book has really helped me get more comfortable with who I am naturally vs who I have to pretend to be at times at work or social situations.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I'm not sure if that was just sloppy language, but introverts ARE normal. Depending on the study, 1/3 to 1/2 of the US population is considered introverted.
Thank you. There was a post on here before as to whether introverts are looked upon negatively by society. The poll results by CDers indicated that people viewed them negatively. I was stunned. Sure, people are entitled to their opinions, but it almost bordered on ignorance. Your doctor, tax accountant, teacher, coworkers, friends, and family members may very well be introverted. Do you look down on them? No.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:02 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,358,105 times
Google "famous introverts....you'll be surprised how many in history were considered introverts not to mention many famous contemporary indvidiuals as well.

I like ths as well...

What advantages does an introvert have? (if any)

According to Laney, author of The Introvert Advantage, there are several advantages to being an introvert:
  • work well with others, especially in one-to-one relationships
  • maintain long-term friendships
  • flexible
  • independent
  • strong ability to concentrate
  • self-reflective
  • responsible
  • creative, out-of-the-box thinking
  • analytical skills that integrate complexity
  • studious and smart
source: 30 Famous Introverts - Introverted Personality Types and Traits : Quips and Tips for Achieving Your Goals

Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,408,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
According to Laney, author of The Introvert Advantage, there are several advantages to being an introvert:
  • work well with others, especially in one-to-one relationships
  • maintain long-term friendships
  • flexible
  • independent
  • strong ability to concentrate
  • self-reflective
  • responsible
  • creative, out-of-the-box thinking
  • analytical skills that integrate complexity
  • studious and smart
I like this list. I'm probably more aligned with those in bold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships