Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:42 PM

448 posts, read 687,139 times

Advertisements

Its like every time I buy something for my son, I get told about all the "more important" things I could've used the money for.

Keep in mind, I don't really consider myself a single mom, because my sons father is fully involved.

But yea, all I hear(from older people around me), "you could've saved that money/put in a college account/put toward school supplies". You're a single mom, you shouldn't spoil him.

Why do you assume I haven't already? How do you know I didn't put money in a college fund? How do you know I didn't get my son the necessary school supplies? I paid my rent, paid my bills, I have money left over. Why can't I buy him a pair of air Jordan's, or a PlayStation?

Are only children in married homes allowed nice things?

When people make statements like that, it really frustrates me. Its rude. Mind your own business, not my wallet.

I have a career
My own place
I pay for EVERYTHING out of pocket and depend on NO ONE

Let us live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,248,700 times
I hear you.

The thing is, I don't really think it's about your being single. I'm married, and I've heard that stuff from my elders too, particularly my grandparents.

People just like to second-guess other parents, especially those you are younger than they are.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,826,514 times
Who says these things, your mom?

Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Who says these things, your mom?

No just people in general.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,494,786 times
I've often found that people with nosy, intrusive comments or questions are the ones that automatically assume that since you are single, you must be receiving some kind of government assistance, and how dare you buy anything at all when "OUR" taxes are paying for you to eat, sleep, and crap! It always annoys me, and I never have a problem putting people like this in their place. I work damn hard NOT to be on any assistance, but most people are on it because they need it, and don't need to be questioned by strangers on how they spend their money. The government is already up their rears with a microscope, tracking every dime, and they don't need help. Just another example of people being rude and ignorant.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,826,514 times
The only people I talk to about what I buy the kids are very close family, so I don't have any advice, sorry. I honestly can't remember the last time a coworker, casual acquaintance, or neighbor told me what she bought her children.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,095 times
I'm confused. How do they know what you buy your kids? Do you tell them? Why? The answer to this its self explanatory, IMO.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I'm confused. How do they know what you buy your kids? Do you tell them? Why? The answer to this its self explanatory, IMO.
If somebody ask what I got my son for Christmas, or his birthday, I tell them.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,494,786 times
For me, things come up in casual conversation. My daughter takes or has taken several different classes and in each one there was a nosy parent who first manage to weasel their way into my business and figure out I wasn't married, and then tried to push further to try to figure out how I managed to pay for the same classes their child was in.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,300,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
If somebody ask what I got my son for Christmas, or his birthday, I tell them.
Ok, but then you say in your rant that the people should mind their own business after you give them the information.

If someone asks how was your Christmas? I keep it vague. "I bought the hubby some shoes." I have never had anyone ask for information. The people don't have to know that the shoes were Jordans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships