Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 9,672 times

Advertisements

I'm starting university this summer in Oklahoma. I'm extremely shy, and I'm a bit of a pessimist because I tend to think negatively when I meet new people. Sometimes when I talk I make no sense then I hide in my room or car thinking I blew it meeting people forever.

I want to be outgoing and sociable. I want to make friends. I'm tired of being quiet and shy.

I just have these obstacles that block me from doing things.

How can you overcome this? Any tips on how to make friends in college or in my dorms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydil View Post
I'm starting university this summer in Oklahoma. I'm extremely shy, and I'm a bit of a pessimist because I tend to think negatively when I meet new people. Sometimes when I talk I make no sense then I hide in my room or car thinking I blew it meeting people forever.

I want to be outgoing and sociable. I want to make friends. I'm tired of being quiet and shy.

How can you overcome this? Any tips on how to make friends in college or in my dorms?
I was an extremely shy guy. Then I got into a Meetup.com group that I had a lot in common with upon moving to Washington, I made a couple of good friends and now I'm more social than ever.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I was an extremely shy guy. Then I got into a Meetup.com group that I had a lot in common with upon moving to Washington, I made a couple of good friends and now I'm more social than ever.
I've tired looking at the area I'll be in with meetup.com but there are no groups :/

It's a relatively small town, the school is tiny itself too. :c

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM

Bump ?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Is it OU? Go to a football game, or to a pep rally. You'll have fun and I bet make friends. Don't try to over think things, be yourself. Personally, I think the quiet shy girls are the most attractive.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Is it OU? Go to a football game, or to a pep rally. You'll have fun and I bet make friends. Don't try to over think things, be yourself. Personally, I think the quiet shy girls are the most attractive.
No. I don't really like football, I'm more of a basketball/baseball girl!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
If it's a university, there will be all kinds of groups and activities to join. Most colleges have a fair or something where all the groups have tables and people can sign up. Sign up and then follow through and actually go to meetings/participate. Make friends with the people in your dorm.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:

First: Get rid of the pessimism and negativity in your mind of others. You are not perfect nor are they. Plus people can spot that attitude a mile away and avoid you like a plague.

Second: Be relaxed and ask general questions about the university. You all are in a new situation so all of you a stumbling around there trying to get in where you fit in.

Third: Find you a couple ( literally meaning two) of good friends while at the same time BEING a good friend. You are not there to make friends but learn. 98.5 % of those people on campus right now will be of no importance to you after you graduate. Everybody will go on to live there independent lives apart from you

Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Have a bunch of "stock" questions to ask people. If the university is in a small town, did they grow up in a big city? Is it difficult to get used to a small town?

Do they have brothers and sisters?

Why did they choose the majors they chose?

Stuff like that. To fill in the quiet spots, when they drag on too long (some quiet spots are good, in conversation).

Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:

Join as many clubs as you can (newspaper, French club, sports etc.) Be an active participant! Most importantly, make the first move! Just go up to three strangers a day (in class or a club) and speak first! Also smile at everyone and say hi!

I used to be very, very shy, and I expected everyone else to do 100% of the work of making friends while I just sat there not saying a word. I finally learned how unfair I was being to others, not to mention the fact that many people didn't understand that I was shy, they thought that I was a snob. I was incredibly self-conscious. I was really paranoid. Then I finally realized that no one was really paying me any attention.

Join Toastmasters or take a speech class, get involved in dorm activities, just get involved! College is so much more fun than high school, and this time away from home is the time to really stretch your wings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships