Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,605 times

Advertisements

I've had a Facebook account for several years and I use it a few times a week to stay in closer touch with my family and some old co-worker friends. I currently do not live in close proximity to these people so I like to see their pics, updates, etc... in other words I don't really want to delete my account.

BUT-- I'm having a privacy problem that is really getting on my nerves. It's my mother in law! About two years or so ago she got a computer and got on Facebook. My MIL and I have never been close, we are just very different, but still I try to be polite as she is my hubby's mother.. so when she sent me a friend request I accepted. She also friended my mother and some other relatives of mine.

Fast forward to present day. I feel like she stalks my FB. My husband and I moved to a new state about a year ago, and my MIL got very passive aggressive with me for moving her 52 year old "baby" from his home town, and things have never been the same since. I'm quite certain she resents me big time now. Back to FB- my husband doesn't do FB so I can see that she likes to check my profile to kind of see what's going on with us/him. But I'm tired of it-- I feel like I can't post freely to my friends and family without her making some snide remark to my husband -- like who may be coming to visit, what we just purchased, etc... I'm just SICK of her being in my business!

So my question is can I turn off the newsfeed that she sees so she can't see my posts to others? I know I can control if she sees my own status updates, I'm talking about what I post to others, or if I "like" something... for example she recently mentioned to my husband "oh I see Grain liked <certain tattoo page> on FB is she thinking of getting one?" "No Mom her friend does tattoo art"

Note- she doesn't ask me, or comment to me on FB, but somehow she knows every last thing I put on there, like I said it's getting on my damn nerves!

Does anyone else have an in-law on FB that has forced them to change how they use FB?

I don't think I can unfriend her or put her on that restricted status either because it would be a big family scandal Quite frankly all of my in-laws have been passive aggressive since we moved but that's a different post for a different day.

Any suggestions on how I can reclaim my life and privacy on FB without causing even more family drama?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM

699 posts, read 1,015,892 times
I don't have a Facebook account so know nothing about settings, etc. if it were me, i would unfriend her and deal with the consequences.....you mention the need to avoid a family scandal by unfriendling her, so an alternative would be to shut down your account and make up some reason why for your MIL and then open another account under a new identity.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM

19,735 posts, read 20,284,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post

So my question is can I turn off the newsfeed that she sees so she can't see my posts to others? I know I can control if she sees my own status updates, I'm talking about what I post to others, or if I "like" something... for example she recently mentioned to my husband "oh I see Grain liked <certain tattoo page> on FB is she thinking of getting one?" "No Mom her friend does tattoo art"
The privacy of your posts to other people depends mostly on their privacy settings. If their statuses and pics are set to "public" or "friends of friends", then she can see it all.

FB has changed their privacy settings, so unfortunately you cannot hide your "likes". (They will show in the side ticker) Though you can remove the "recent activity" from showing on your timeline, which will prevent her from diggin through your actions.

Go to your page, on the right side above the friends column, where it says "Recent Activity", there should be a list of things you've done ( likes, comments, wall posts, etc) & you will have the option to hide all that from showing up on your timeline.

There will be an X next to it-- click it, and it will give you some options.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
Just defriend her. Odds are she won't even notice. If she gets mad just say, "Darn Facebook keeps changing everything. How did that happen?"

Old 02-02-2013, 09:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Don't unfriend her. Block her. Go to HER FB page, and look on the right side of the page next to the Message tab.

You will see a blue box with a little gear icon and a down arrow. Click the arrow and a drop-down menu will show several options, including "Report/Block." Click it, then click on "Block (MIL)."

She will not be able to see ANYTHING you do on FB, including your likes, and you will not have to unfriend her. She will just think you aren't on FB as much, but she won't be able to say anything because she can't out herself as a stalker.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM

861 posts, read 1,250,838 times
Any suggestions on how I can reclaim my life and privacy on FB without causing even more family drama?[/quote]

You can:

1. Block her
2. Close your facebook account and "check-in" via someone else's account.
3. Hire a hit man

I suggerst option #2

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,654,801 times
How do you know if she has viewed your Facebook page? I didn't think it possible that you would know who visited your page.

Perhaps I misunderstood your post or I am uninformed about being able to do this?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM

309 posts, read 516,321 times
Facebook recently has a new feature displaying the list of people who had viewed your post.

FB developers are not all-powerful. They tend to change the functionality around and update privacy policies frequently. Even themselves cannot keep track of what, where, and when, not to mention us users.

Oftentimes what's intended to happen didn't, and the users didn't even notice till later when everything blows up in flames. Do you really want to hand over your precious interpersonal relationship and private information to these sleep-depriving engineers?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM

19,735 posts, read 20,284,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Facebook recently has a new feature displaying the list of people who had viewed your post.
Wait a minute, where is that????!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
I haven't checked in a while, but I believe you can go into settings and create a restricted list so that certain people can see only certain things (or nothing at all.) I have people from work restricted so they can't see everything; same with older family members. Then when you post something you can decide if you want everyone to see it, or just people who aren't restricted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.