Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell. We had neighbors next door about who moved about 3 years ago when the husband took a new job. While they lived here, the wife was lonely and knowing I worked from home often appeared at my door for coffee, questions, etc. I was always cordial and we went to dinner a few times with these neighbors. We didn't especially click with them. They couldn't sell their house so they leased it to a family....the tenant wife is an executive in the same business community I was in before I retired, the husband works an IT job from home, and both kids attend an elite private girls school in Dallas (Hockaday).

Occasionally my former neighbor contacts me for referrals of service people to do work on their house. I am a landlord and have properties that regularly need work so I don't mind sharing contractor info. Today my regular handyman told me that he has recently done a $700 repair at my neighbor's house but the tenant requested he give him a $1100 invoice "for tax purposes." My handyman wasn't aware the guy was a tenant until I mentioned it to him and now he wonders if my "friend" the actual landlord is being stiffed by the tenant who paid him by check. Do you think I should say anything to my former neighbor, the owner of the house, that his tenant might be submitting a fraudulent invoice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Have the handyman call and let them know about the arrangement with the tenant.

Don't get involved.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I'd see if the handyman will call them. If not, yeah, I'd let them know. The landlord is paying the extra $400, and the tenant is pocketing it.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I'd definitely let the owners know.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:50 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
In a nutshell. We had neighbors next door about who moved about 3 years ago when the husband took a new job. While they lived here, the wife was lonely and knowing I worked from home often appeared at my door for coffee, questions, etc. I was always cordial and we went to dinner a few times with these neighbors. We didn't especially click with them. They couldn't sell their house so they leased it to a family....the tenant wife is an executive in the same business community I was in before I retired, the husband works an IT job from home, and both kids attend an elite private girls school in Dallas (Hockaday).

Occasionally my former neighbor contacts me for referrals of service people to do work on their house. I am a landlord and have properties that regularly need work so I don't mind sharing contractor info. Today my regular handyman told me that he has recently done a $700 repair at my neighbor's house but the tenant requested he give him a $1100 invoice "for tax purposes." My handyman wasn't aware the guy was a tenant until I mentioned it to him and now he wonders if my "friend" the actual landlord is being stiffed by the tenant who paid him by check. Do you think I should say anything to my former neighbor, the owner of the house, that his tenant might be submitting a fraudulent invoice?
I get a "bad vibe" from these people. They seem to live a very "false life" and things don't add up. I am not even from Texas and I have heard of the Hockaday school. I don't know how many renters send their children there. The wife is an executive but the husband works from hone in IT. Or so he says.
Even if she did own the home, asking the handy man to inflate the bill on the renovations, is dishonest. There is something going on here.

Your relationship with the owners of the next door property is not close. I'd tend to advice you to keep out of it right now. I can't put my finger on what's going on.

But something is. Keep you distance from these neighbors and be cautious with the people who own the property next door. Remember how you said that you never "clicked" with them?
There could be a good reason for that.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I get a "bad vibe" from these people. They seem to live a very "false life" and things don't add up. I am not even from Texas and I have heard of the Hockaday school. I don't know how many renters send their children there. The wife is an executive but the husband works from hone in IT. Or so he says.
Our gated community actually has many renters who pay between $3500 - $10,000 per month. We have NFL and NBA players and executives who are new to the area. In the neighbors' case, they hadn't sold their prior home and this was a new job when they came here so makes sense they rented....its becoming a norm it seems for newbies to rent in such a hard market for resale.(that is changing)

My DH agrees with you and says maybe the owner asked the tenant to get an inflated invoice. But, I really did get to know those people and that doesn't wash for me. My gut tells me the owner is being fleeced. But of course my conflict is looking the other way or causing bad will between the owner and the tenants.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM

524 posts, read 400,246 times
Let your friends know. Would you expect inform you if the shoe was on the other foot? The fact of the matter is that these people are scamming someone else, they are stealing their money either by direct payment or a discount in rent. The landlord can easily find out about the work by asking for a detailed or line by line invoice. In addition, he can ask for receipts to prove how much was spent on materials. This doesn't have to come back on you at all. The fraud will reveal itself, you are just giving a heads up!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Stay out of it. I see trouble all over that, and you'll probably end up making both mad at you. Have the handiman call her.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post

Yes. It would be no different than if you saw the tenant taking $400 from a vending machine. What's more, since the former neighbor did indeed ask your advice, you are peripherally involved. I mean, just because you didn't click with the guy over dinner doesn't mean you should stand by and watch the guy get fleeced.

I personally do not understand the posters here who think the guy shouldn't inform that poor guy who is getting defrauded. Do you not have any scruples?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Stay out of it. I see trouble all over that, and you'll probably end up making both mad at you. Have the handiman call her.
Handyman has no motivation to phone an unknown customer and rat out the guy who paid him ; he risks no longer getting called back for work at that house. His conscience took him to tell me but he's off the hook now and I have that monkey on my back . The no good deed goes unpunished thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships