Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM

548 posts, read 891,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Have you thought about applying to work in a vintage record shop? Or in a music store? How about working on a weekly community or special-interest newspaper (hard copy, not just online)? Given your interests and experience, these places might be just the ticket. There likely to be special-interest weekly or monthly publications in your area which focus on the music/hipster/performing arts scene - such publications can be found in almost all larger cities.

But you do need to polish up your writing before you can expect to see it in print.
I've tried those outlets before most aren't hiring.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM

548 posts, read 891,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
This is just extremely childish excuse-making. Come on, you can do better than this.

Get some additional training/education in whatever field interests you and in whatever field you think you might have a future, given additional knowledge and ability to apply that knowledge. Then apply for work in that field, not something totally unrelated. You have to earn some credentials, either through continued education/training or experience. Making excuses of this kind doesn't cut it. Get real, get some solid training under your belt, then put it to use.

Once again, you need to clean up your writing. Bolded are two errors: "associates" should be possessive, i.e. "associate's". It's "because", not "becuz". You are not texting here. You've also left out commas in three places: after "degree", after "doctor" and after "maker". You also omitted a period after "me" in your last (run-on) sentence, which should be divided into two sentences. That sentence would also be improved by adding a comma after "yes". That's six errors in five short sentences. That's WAY too many for someone who calls herself a writer.

If similar careless errors occur in your online magazine writing (not to mention your various job applications), you will not be taken very seriously or read as widely as you might wish, as such errors make your writing very sloppy and hard to read. They do not reflect well on your eye for detail, and make you seem careless and disrespectful of your audience. Such mistakes are very easy to spot and correct, so take the time to do both, if you want to be read and have your writing respected.

For others who may be concerned about similar errors in their C-D posts - this is not directed at you, but just at Napy666 and at anyone else who presents himself or herself as a writer, be it online or hard copy. If you call yourself a writer and want to be taken seriously, for goodness' sake, learn to write clearly and cleanly! If Napy666 had no interest or background in writing, but wanted to do something entirely different, my advice also would be different.
I know how to write alright so just stop with your teacher wannabe tactics. Also again I have been applying to jobs I applied to 8 YES 8 different McDonald's locations and IF NONE of those hit me back for a interview then I DO NOT KNOW what I am doing wrong.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I've tried those outlets before most aren't hiring.
When did you last apply at these places? Many such places have a rather high turn-over. It might be worth your while to apply again, or at least check by and find out if your earlier applications are still active.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Quote:
I know how to write alright so just stop with your teacher wannabe tactics. Also again I have been applying to jobs I applied to 8 YES 8 different McDonald's locations and IF NONE of those hit me back for a interview then I DO NOT KNOW what I am doing wrong.
[*sigh* can't believe I am even jumping into this thread]

But you said upthread that volunteering wouldn't do you any good? Right now, since you aren't getting paid for your writings, technically, that is exactly what you are doing, volunteering.

Since you obviously do not have enough substantial experience to garner even a callback, I think you need to beef up your resume by volunteering (yes, more unpaid work) just to have more experience to offer.

And it needs to be something that can translate into a job. Why not check out Craigslist's volunteer section and see if there is something you can do, even if its only a few hours a week, just to gain some experience. Help a food kitchen, help at a local event, maybe some light office work filing, typing, answering phones, anything to increse your skills. You can still apply for jobs during this time but your competing with people with resumes with actual jobs on them, you need more. Much more to offer. Ask relatives of they need any help around their workplaces.

When you have more experience, your job search should be better.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
"I just applied to 8 different McDonald's positions and IF NONE of those hit me up for a job then I do not know what I am doing wrong." https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...cations-2.html

Did you apply to eight locations or apply for eight different positions?

Job openings for crew positions in McDonald's in Glendale, CA:

Type Position Location
Crew Crew 1326 East Colorado Blvd., Glendale, CA
Crew Part-time Opportunities 1634 West Glenoaks Blvd, Glendale, CA
Crew Crew 1634 West Glenoaks Blvd, Glendale, CA
Crew Part-time Opportunities 1326 East Colorado Blvd., Glendale, CA
Crew Crew 500 North Central Avenue, Glendale, CA
Crew Part-time Opportunities 500 North Central Avenue, Glendale, CA
Crew Crew 2234 Glendale Galleria Mall, Glendale, CA
Crew Crew 1544 Canada Blvd., Glendale, CA

One ad stated "We're looking for hard working, enthusiastic individuals who want to be a part of a winning team. If you enjoy working with people and love to learn new things, we want to meet you." So what is the experience you're talking about????

Open this link and you'll see the above addresses and you can also apply on line: McDonald's Jobs: Find a Career @ McDonald's

Apply on line, this is for pt time, 500 No. Central Ave.: McDonald's Jobs: Find a Career @ McDonald's - Restaurant # 4128

And no, you don't know how to write.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,748,440 times
Quote:
CraigCreek is being nice to you. Stop being so snarky.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
CraigCreek is being nice to you. Stop being so snarky.

Thanks, Timneh5. I am trying...

Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 PM

Napy666: FYI, it's "all right". "Alright" is not a word.

I have a degree in English (among other things...), and I have taught at the high school level. No wannabe here.

You say you don't know what you're doing wrong, yet when others try to point out things which could use improvement, or things you could do differently and/or more advantageously, you reject all suggestions.

Do you really want advice, or are you just here to complain?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
25 and you've never held a job? Writing for a magazine and NOT getting paid is NOT a job.

I can see why your mother is tired of you. Really? Get a FREAKING job!!! Fast food, grocery stores, Target, WalMart, etc etc etc. They are ALL hiring! It may not be as "glamorous" as your non-paying magazine writing gig but at least you'd be putting SOMETHING toward your keep!!! Why should your mother support a 25 year old?????

Sheesh! Get a job, get a life, and get the frig out!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,627 times
Sorry to put this on blast, but the OP has written about this publicly in another thread of hers, but she has a learning disability. If I remember correctly, she was in Special Education classes in high school. This is why she has not passed the driving test, and I imagine, it is also why she is very quick to bite at the hands trying to help her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.