Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:16 AM

238 posts, read 1,144,465 times

Advertisements

I suspect that many of us spend alot of time with people we do not like just because they are family. I know there are members of my extended family (Aunts and Uncles and Cousins) that I see and socialize with on an occasional basis that I would prefer that I never see again but am forced by my Mother and Grandma to put on a happy face and grin and bear it. (I see the bad relatives to keep my Grandma happy)

My wife has a distant and cold relationship with her brothers and sisters but has agreed to get together with them for trips just because they are family. She would not give the time of day to any of them if they were not family.

Just because someone is family, is this a good enough reason to spend time with them even if the relationship is terribly distant and strained?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 06:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
We all have to bite the bullet once in a while and deal diplomatically with people in a social setting that we really don't care for or, in your case, in an effort to maintain family peace. What do you mean when you refer to "trips" though? For instance, going on a weeklong sailing trip when six of the other eight people on board are people you really detest would be sheer lunacy, in my opinion, and no situation in which to put yourself just to appease the two people that you DO like and for whatever reason you feel obligated to! Cheers!

Old 10-27-2007, 07:12 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
I can do a couple of hours once a year. But turned down an all-expenses paid ten-day family cruise a year ago. Sanity is priceless!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 41,302 times
Just because someone is family, is this a good enough reason to spend time with them even if the relationship is terribly distant and strained?

Nope, I say do what makes you happy!

Old 10-27-2007, 11:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Certainly not if your vacation time is limited. If you only get a few weeks off from a job each year you need to spend it doing something you want to do--not faking having fun with people you don't like. If you've got unlimited time you might want to try and suck it up.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:18 PM

169 posts, read 632,899 times
Having (stupidly) spent far too much time with certain family members or in-laws that I don't like, just because "it's expected/they're family" .... No I would never do it again.

Life's too short and I prefer not to waste any more of it being with people who stress me out.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
This reminds me of a family reunion we went to last Aug.
Hubby and I made our own travel arrangement while three others decided to travel together.
We get there and figured out that all but 5 were from the same town.

At 1st hubby and I joked that we had to travel from Orlando to Crested Butte to see family members that lived 15 minutes from us. The we realized that we didn't hang with them at home for a reason and wouldn't again travel that far to vacation with them.

I'll spend a day with them but never vacation with either family.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 PM

223 posts, read 694,187 times
I gotta chuckle at this one.
I dont like my extended family.
So, no I would not spend time with them... I haven't seen most of my ext. family for many years.

wife's family, on the other hand, I would deal with - They aren't as bad as mine, and It would make my wife happy.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:28 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
I suspect that many of us spend alot of time with people we do not like just because they are family. I know there are members of my extended family (Aunts and Uncles and Cousins) that I see and socialize with on an occasional basis that I would prefer that I never see again but am forced by my Mother and Grandma to put on a happy face and grin and bear it. (I see the bad relatives to keep my Grandma happy)

My wife has a distant and cold relationship with her brothers and sisters but has agreed to get together with them for trips just because they are family. She would not give the time of day to any of them if they were not family.

I am not a believer in spending time with people I don't like because they are family. Some people can just cross that line where I'm done with them, family or not... and unless they drastically change who they are I would rather not even be in the same room with them unless I have to (like a funeral). No one has the right to treat you like crap even if they are family... but that's just me...

Old 10-29-2007, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,481 times
Smile Iam with you

[quote=mommabear2;1849194]I am not a believer in spending time with people I don't like because they are family. Some people can just cross that line where I'm done with them, family or not... and unless they drastically change who they are I would rather not even be in the same room with them unless I have to (like a funeral). No one has the right to treat you like crap even if they are family... but that's just me...I hav to agree with you all the way,believe me when I was down and out my kids were the worst people I could go for help,not all of them,their good kids and they have their problems too,but living with any of them for get it!!!! i mean even for a short time,I nevr felt I was welcomed and i was constantlly reminded they were doing me a big favor,I never sponged off anyone in my life,I paid my ways any place I went.why didn't I get a apartment of my own??? I think its called lonelynessIam 64 lost two of my sisters in the last three years,my father was 55 when he died and my mother 60 ..someday the tables will turn and they will get the crap end of the stick just like me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships