Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:07 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times

Advertisements

My mom passed away about a year ago. She was living in her house on my property in sort of a guest house arrangement. Over the past year I have gotten rid of some stuff-sold on EBay or given away, but much remains, including the furniture.

I am her only child. My adult daughter has taken what she wants. No other relatives who want anything.

My wife and I are moving in a few years so we are starting to get rid of things in both houses now.

Now to the point:

My BIL is breaking up with his gf and moving into an apartment. He has some stuff and my wife has suggested letting him have some of the household things he lacks.

The problem I have with this: He owes me money-a lot of money-and has made little attempt at payback. I can't shake this feeling of being a chump if I again enrich him after screwing us over with his unpaid loan. He lives a transient life-six ex-wives, countless homes, etc. but doesn't manage to keep anything from place to place. I have little sentiment for these household things but it would bug me if they were "lost" during his next move. If they went to strangers I would not have any clue what happens to the things. He moved to town about six years ago and this will be his seventh move since getting here.

On the plus side it would save me the hassle of giving it away or selling it on CL. Plus, my mom would have appreciated it going to family rather than a stranger or selling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Whatever you are comfortable with is what you should do and once it leaves your possession you should have no concerns with what happens to it after that. It appears to me though that you would actually be more comfortable selling the items since you would have no control over knowing what happened to them after they are gone.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
My mom passed away about a year ago. She was living in her house on my property in sort of a guest house arrangement. Over the past year I have gotten rid of some stuff-sold on EBay or given away, but much remains, including the furniture.

I am her only child. My adult daughter has taken what she wants. No other relatives who want anything.

My wife and I are moving in a few years so we are starting to get rid of things in both houses now.

Now to the point:

My BIL is breaking up with his gf and moving into an apartment. He has some stuff and my wife has suggested letting him have some of the household things he lacks.

The problem I have with this: He owes me money-a lot of money-and has made little attempt at payback. I can't shake this feeling of being a chump if I again enrich him after screwing us over with his unpaid loan. He lives a transient life-six ex-wives, countless homes, etc. but doesn't manage to keep anything from place to place. I have little sentiment for these household things but it would bug me if they were "lost" during his next move. If they went to strangers I would not have any clue what happens to the things. He moved to town about six years ago and this will be his seventh move since getting here.

On the plus side it would save me the hassle of giving it away or selling it on CL. Plus, my mom would have appreciated it going to family rather than a stranger or selling it.
Does your wife feel the same way about the unpaid loan or is she more sensitive to his position of lacking household items? If she feels the same as you, I wouldn't give him a dish towel. If he has the means to afford 6 ex wives and homes, he can buy his own blender.

Now, if she's all, "Oh, but dear, he's my brother, I can't do that to him. Whatever happened, happened, he's still my brother and I need to help him"...yadda yadda, then I think you're out of luck and may end up giving those items to him.

How about donating them rather than selling them to complete strangers? Churches take all sorts of household items.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Does your wife feel the same way about the unpaid loan or is she more sensitive to his position of lacking household items? If she feels the same as you, I wouldn't give him a dish towel. If he has the means to afford 6 ex wives and homes, he can buy his own blender.

Now, if she's all, "Oh, but dear, he's my brother, I can't do that to him. Whatever happened, happened, he's still my brother and I need to help him"...yadda yadda, then I think you're out of luck and may end up giving those items to him.

How about donating them rather than selling them to complete strangers? Churches take all sorts of household items.
He's broke. Always has been, probably always will. He doesn't pay alimony or child support, he manages clean breaks from all his wives. Unbelievably, he just had his first kid with the gf he is breaking up with-so no child support with any X. There is a lot of drama and background with him-his women, jail time, arrested by the Secret Service....and on and on.

I got the dear brother yadda, yadda during the crisis when we loaned him the money. The wife is fed up as I am with his non payment so when I told her I don't want to give him things because of the loan she understood.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 PM

349 posts, read 459,819 times
I would just donate the stuff to either Goodwill Industries, local churches, local Veteran's Association or the Salvation Army. Sometimes they will come pickup the stuff. Just get a receipt and claim it on your taxes next year.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,040 times
^^^ I was going to write exactly this. ^^^

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

Now to the point:

I have known people like this, people that are not responsible, that do not take care of things and only take advantage of people. Personally I would donate what is left of the estate to somewhere that would appreciate it, and not to him.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
I have had a very similar situation. I finally realized I would feel better about giving it to an organization where folks that receive it will appreciate it . . . and I would not once again feel somewhat "taken advantage of" this way.

I found there were several organizations in my area that will bring a truck and pick up the items. You may find this is the easiest way to handle the matter. Remember to get a charitable donations receipt for your taxes.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffegal05 View Post
I would just donate the stuff to either Goodwill Industries, local churches, local Veteran's Association or the Salvation Army. Sometimes they will come pickup the stuff. Just get a receipt and claim it on your taxes next year.
This.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I would give the stuff away also. And whatever you do, don't mention it to him. Just donate it to someone who will come get it and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships