Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,257,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I don't understand this at all and to be truly honest, in my experience it has happened more times with women than men.

I went downstairs to our break room where a beautiful young women was at the drink machine. I smile and greet her by saying "Hey, how are you?". What does she do? Looks at me and then walks away. I wanted to ask her if she spoke english but decided that wouldn't have been a good idea.

When someone greets you, do you greet them back? Why wouldn't you greet someone back?
I always respond to "Hello" or "Good Morning," but a greeting that is a question (as above) appears to invite conversation, which I may not be interested in. But in that case I think I would simply respond with "Hello," and not something that invited further conversation if I didn't want it.

I live in a culture where it is commonplace that total strangers greet each other on the street or when arriving in a doctor's waiting room, etc., but these greetings are always of the Hello and Good Morning type. In my experience only people who are used to seeing you regularly, or who know you, greet with a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,874,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Yeah right I guess you don't live in a big city where people hit you up for stuff fairly often. I've perfected the "I don't hear you or see you" hard straight ahead stare when walking in public for that reason.
Oh yeah, for all us who live in the suburbs, let's not forget the starting the convo with the neighbors which will last at least one hour, never mind you just worked a full day at work and cannot wait to get to your couch.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM

8,730 posts, read 11,141,100 times
i do think its rude but I am guilty of this. At times, I've been in deep deep thought....I am so zoned in, everything outside is ignored. I do admit feeling bad a few times I've done this with even people I do know.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 AM

178 posts, read 329,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
These responses remind me of what happened to me yesterday.

I saw a next door neighbor who is male for the first time coming out of his apartment as I was going into mine. I smiled and said a simple "hello."
He gave me a dirty look and walked away.
There is a man in our condo community who will not acknowledge a friendly greeting from either me or my husband. He's not a very pleasant person apparently, as one day someone filled the entire front seat and floor of his truck with styrofoam peanuts. We have a parking garage and his space is next to the stairs so we had to walk right by it and determined the guilty party must have a key to his vehicle...a spouse or girlfriend maybe?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM

3,059 posts, read 5,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
So it all comes down to you only spoke to her b/c you found her hot.

Unless you look like Brad Pitt in his prime, you cant just go around feeling entitled to talk to very attractive woman.
Its known that if you are really good looking yourself, people like talking to you because it makes them feel good looking too.
That must suck for attractive women that only people of equal attractiveness can talk with them. I figured they put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us Quasimodos.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,134,296 times
Who says the OP only spoke to her because she was attractive? Obviously they work in the same building, so IMO no matter who it was in the break room it would be pretty rude not to at least say hello. If I pass a coworker in the hallway or in the kitchen I always say hello, how are you. It's called manners. No matter how crappy of a mood I'm in, I would never be so rude as not to say hello to someone who spoke to me. Who knows, maybe one day this snotty girl will be up for a promotion and OP will be the one who decides yes or no. It could happen. That's why I'm always polite to my coworkers and people in my building even if I've never seen them before.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM

977 posts, read 1,819,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Who says the OP only spoke to her because she was attractive? Obviously they work in the same building, so IMO no matter who it was in the break room it would be pretty rude not to at least say hello.
Maybe b/c he mentioned it in his OP and then once after too. Besides that, most guys (younger ones, at least, not sure how old OP is) don't just say hello and how are you to strange women (even in the workplace) unless they find her attractive. I doubt he says hello and how are you to every strange person that he encounters at work unless it's a really small workplace.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM

9,022 posts, read 13,893,141 times
It seems the OP was slighted because a pretty woman didn't respond back.

If it was an unattractive woman,I doubt he would have even started this thread.
Why? Because he probably wouldn't have even said anything to her.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM

7,453 posts, read 13,458,485 times
OP, often it is about the other person and not you in such situations as your OP. Don't take it personally.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM

956 posts, read 1,771,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
You're right. I thought she was very attractive until she just completely ignored me. I'm not sure if she works with us but if I ever see her again and she ignores me, I'm going to straight up ask her what her deal is.

I honestly rather get a "F**k off" than nothing at all.

Don't do that or she might throw the ''he's agressive and I was scared'' trick. Say ''you're the one who didn't anwer me when I said hi. Well, aren't you the friendly one''?!

Last edited by Gudra; 04-25-2013 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships