Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM

977 posts, read 1,817,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straw71 View Post
I always say Hi, good morning etc when I come across someone in passing especially if the person looks at me. It is common courtesy, and just because I say Hi first, doesn't mean I want to start up a conversation. It's just being polite. And it doesn't mean I am trying to SELL you something or ASK for anything!!
I don't know where you live but I live in a large metro area and have a mile walk between train and work. I pass by hundreds if not thousands of strangers, am I supposed to say hello to everyone? Similarly, but on smaller scale, am I supposed to say hello to everyone I pass by at the grocery store, on my walks in my crowded neighborhood/park, on the train, etc? Trust me, pretty much nobody says hello to strangers here and if you did, everyone would think it's weird/creepy.

Matter of fact, this morning some guy walked up to me and some others and asked for a job. I pretended not to hear him That's why we have our guard up around strangers in downtown urban type areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,798,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
I don't know where you live but I live in a large metro area and have a mile walk between train and work. I pass by hundreds if not thousands of strangers, am I supposed to say hello to everyone? Similarly, but on smaller scale, am I supposed to say hello to everyone I pass by at the grocery store, on my walks in my crowded neighborhood/park, on the train, etc? Trust me, pretty much nobody says hello to strangers here and if you did, everyone would think it's weird/creepy.

Matter of fact, this morning some guy walked up to me and some others and asked for a job. I pretended not to hear him That's why we have our guard up around strangers in downtown urban type areas.
I basically agree with the non-cynical version of what you're saying. We can't be going around saying hello to each and every person we encounter for a myriad of different reasons.

However, I think we, as a society, should always stay proactive when it comes to challenging old and cynical paradigms. For instance, you can't say hello to each person individually for plain logistical reasons but what if one day someone got on a train and bid the passengers as a whole in the immediate train car a "Good Morning, everyone!" or "I hope everyone has a nice day today!" and people kept on doing that? I wonder what kind of creeping effect, after the initial weirdness faded, that would have on the normal silence and mistrust between strangers and the general morale of a city?

Usually, people will conform to the customs of the culture they are in...If you get people being consistently and overtly polite to everyone around them as whole using simple, broad sweeping, non-invasive, polite acts aimed at whole crowds, other people are going to start thinking "Oh, that's how we're supposed to behave? I better start doing that or I won't fit in or seem rude."

And it's so easy to do and it doesn't involve getting in a person's face and bothering them.

All it is is verbally wishing everyone well around you once, but day in day out, as a routine and custom.

If people are repeatedly given verbal confirmation (as opposed to dead silence) that they are in a city where people wish them well, over time, that's going to slowly rewire their thinking and behavior toward their fellow citizens.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 AM

807 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
People annoy me when they say Hi. What makes you think I want to talk to you? If I want to talk to you for whatever reason then I will go up to you and say what I want to say. Randomly saying "Hi" is just annoying.
So it's ok for you to initialize the conversation but not them?

Yea, right.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,394,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
And again, you're in the southwest. People on here are not understanding that things are different region to region and I dont know why. SOme of you need to get out of your small towns once in a while
You should never assume that people in an anonymous forum are some sort of country bumpkins simply because they still know how to be human. You could be very wrong.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:15 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You should never assume that people in an anonymous forum are some sort of country bumpkins simply because they still know how to be human. You could be very wrong.
Ummm, you were the one who said you moved to a small town in Texas, did you not? hmmmm

To people people in LA, NYC, Chicago, Detroit and MIA, that screams bumkin, or someone reallly naive to what goes on in the rest of the country, whether you like it or not. And wheres the law book that says being human means smiling and saying hi to everybody? I didnt know it existed.

As I said, since you're an old timer, you are not seen as threatning so women feel more comfortable talking to you. Good for you

Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,670,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have encountered people though, when in certain parts of the country, who look suspiciously upon an unsolicited greeting.
Can I guess where ?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,394,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Ummm, you were the one who said you moved to a small town in Texas, did you not? hmmmm
Let's just close this discussion noting that your assumption about me is very wrong.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,704,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
So it's ok for you to initialize the conversation but not them?

Yea, right.
Uh no. I don't go over to people to just say Hi. I just say what I have to say which is important otherwise I wouldn't talk to them. I have no problem with people just saying what they have to say if it is important. Hi is not important. Off you go.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 AM

807 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Uh no. I don't go over to people to just say Hi. I just say what I have to say which is important otherwise I wouldn't talk to them. I have no problem with people just saying what they have to say if it is important. Hi is not important. Off you go.
Me either, but if I pass you by I'm going to greet you rather you like it or not. Especially in a professional setting. If you don't like "Hi" there is always the middle finger. Maybe that's more in tune with your personality?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,704,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Me either, but if I pass you by I'm going to greet you rather you like it or not. Especially in a professional setting. If you don't like "Hi" there is always the middle finger. Maybe that's more in tune with your personality?
No, silence is more in tune with my personality. I don't greet people unless I'm formally meeting someone or it's the beginning of an important conversation or inquiry. I don't do it just to do it nor when I'm passing someone. It's absolutely pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships