Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 PM

156 posts, read 440,416 times

Advertisements

This is something that torments the heck out of me for some reason and I'm not sure why.

Every year, my grandma sends me a birthday and Christmas card with a check in it. I always send a thank you note/card as I know it's the proper thing to do. What drives me crazy is that I literally am at a loss for what to write in the thank you note/card. I've researched what should be written in it, but when I go to write it, I come up with a big blank.

I usually end up writing something like this:

Dear Grandma,
Thank you for the generous gift. I think I will save it for something special.

Love,
Kate

---
Sometimes I'll lie about what I'll do with the check just to keep from sounding boring because I never spend it, I save it. So I might say:

Dear Grandma,
Thank you for the generous gift. It will come in handy for that new cat condo I was planning on buying.

Love,
Kate
----

I know I'm supposed to write more than that. But I can't come up with anything. The last few years I've been sending a pre-printed thank you card (as opposed to a blank one) and then adding my own thing to it.

I don't ever see my grandma even though she lives nearby. I'm very, very shy and actually have social anxiety so I dread the thought of visiting her (and a lot of other people I love). We never had a close relationship in that she wasn't very affectionate and didn't seem to know what to do with a child. She always made me feel uncomfortable and scared even though she's a very nice person. Although she does come across as nervous herself but certainly isn't shy. I remember spending the night at her house as a child and being scared to death and secretly crying in bed because I wanted to go home. I never told my parents. I usually only willingly went to her house to see my younger cousin who she usually babysat. I feel bad about our relationship but she always knew I was shy. She could have and still could make an effort to see me, if she really wanted to.

So anyway... Any advice as to what to write in the thank you note/card? Or is what I've been writing good enough? Is the fact that I'm acknowledging her gift and sending a thank you note/card good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
This is something that torments the heck out of me for some reason and I'm not sure why.
You might consider exploring this issue, with professional help, vs. any wording on notes.
(assuming this isn't a troll post, who know?)

Old 10-24-2013, 11:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post

So anyway... Any advice as to what to write in the thank you note/card? Or is what I've been writing good enough? Is the fact that I'm acknowledging her gift and sending a thank you note/card good enough?
Could be that you weren't taught on the how-to aspect of this very nice etiquette or haven't got the experience/comfort down. Personally I don't like what you've written because it sounds just as awkward as you feel and feels incomplete.

I usually go to websites like this: Thank You for the Gift to get an idea of how to write and see a sample. If you look to the left, there's a section dedicated to teaching how to write that perfect TY note ("How to Thank"). It even has the top 10 Don'ts. The step by step link: How To Write a Thank You Note

Old 10-25-2013, 03:14 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Since you are waiting for her to come visit you, tell her you are waiting for her visit so you can treat the both of you to a nice dinner.

Last edited by elyn02; 10-25-2013 at 04:06 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 03:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Next time you receive a gift from her, Why not call instead of writing a note? She would probably love to speak to you on the phone.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:43 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
stop beating yourself up...

when someone gives a gift- it makes them feel good giving it...so any reply/thank you is good..

you sound like a nervous chipmunk, chill out....stop worrying..

Old 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
You are really overthinking this.

Stop thinking of the note as a symbol of your relationship.

Just write variations of what you've already done. It happens once or twice a year. It really is not something that has to be Pulitzer-worthy.

At least you are writing thank-you notes!

And PLEASE get some help for your social anxiety.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,261 times
Lol, all I did was give them a call to thank them and see how they were doing. That worked out fine.

You need to settle down.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
Wow, the BIG problems in life must REALLY eat away at you ! As the others have said, you did better than most folks, you took the time to write a thank you note. I would have called her, said my thanks there, and then sent her a little note too. If you want to go even beyond that, you might send her the thank you note with something nice enclosed, like a small gift or some treat she enjoys eating. (We old people LOVE food treats. )

Quit beating yourself up, you did good.

Don

Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
You researched what should be written? Just write from the heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships