Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:46 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,118 times

Advertisements

Bloomer? I was completely wilted before I even made it out of middle school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,964 times
I've got to be the true definition of late-bloomer, careerwise, relationship-wise, travel-wise, sexually, you name it. Except puberty. I hit that pretty early, go figure.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:48 PM

957 posts, read 1,060,125 times
I'd say I am, relationship wise anyway.

It kinda sucks that I spent my twenties afraid of pretty women that were in social circle. Oh well, life marches on!

If I would have been interested in women then maybe I wouldn't be living slope side with an awesome job. It is what it is.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I'm a late bloomer and bopping along quite happily at 37, with no husband or kids in sight. What weird place are you from that everyone is hitched and spawning by 23? My friends and family didn't bother with that til their mid 20s to early 30s. Even the ones who were dating each other in high school.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:26 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Bloomer? I was completely wilted before I even made it out of middle school!
Thanks for the chuckle!

I am a late bloomer in that it took me to my current age (60 on Saturday) to finally be at peace (with myself, other people, world in general). Lots of yoga, mindfulness, studying Zen Buddhism, and self-help books have enabled me to grow and I would even say bloom. I don't regret that it took me this long---it's so nice to have growth and equanimity at my age instead of the regret/remorse/depression/apathy/stagnation of so many of my peers.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:34 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
I have yet to bloom at all. I'm in my mid 30's and still live in the same dead-end small town I grew up in. I make $9 bucks an hour at a job I had straight out of high school. Never had any relationships/girlfriends, only been with a hooker when I was 18 years old. My mental issues combined with copious use of alcohol and weed in my youth is probably why I'm still stuck in adolescence. Anyone who is smart and talented get out of this town ASAP so I'm surrounded by similar people trapped in loserdom.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 PM

723 posts, read 868,434 times
**** getting married in your 20's, seriously. I haven't looked at the divorce statistics but I'd take a gamble on most of the marriages that end in divorce being the ones people get into in their 20's.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
You are young 23 is a great time, enjoy!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times
folks mentioned by the OP who are marrying and having kids in their early 20s, will have a stunted life in the practical aspects, however fulfilling their attainments on the social/family side. Inversely, many people complete advanced degrees, secure lucrative jobs and build thriving investment portfolios, only to be stultified and rebuffed in the dating world, cast aside despite their practical success. Of course, a few are successful in both the practical and the social aspect.

I would only worry (and even then only mildly) if one suffers persistent setbacks in both the practical and social aspects. But it appears that the OP is doing fairly well on the practical side.

But even for those who lag on both the practical and social side (and for those who happen to excel!), it's worth noting that life is nonlinear. Sometimes nothing happens for years, followed by a sudden break, a watershed. Sometimes the search for a relationship is completely fruitless, only to suddenly go from chance-meeting to marriage. And sometimes the reverse happens… and early and successful coupling ends after many years in bitter divorce. Tortoise and hare, so to speak.

Life is very long. There are plenty of chances to succeed, or to fail.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Most of the people I knew from childhood were married and most of those had at least one kid by 25, but I grew up in a depressed, traditional area.

Though the economy and external factors have a deal of impact on how we turn out, I still believe most of how we turn out is based on decisions we make. I grew up in a bad area, didn't go to good schools, didn't come from a wealthy family, etc, but I think I've done "okay." Not as well as I'd have liked, but "okay."

I'll be 28 in April and am starting my first professional job next Monday, nearly four years out of college. I've only worked in call centers and have mostly lived in depressed areas. By all accounts, I should be one of life's screwups, and have been for a long time, partially due to the economy, but also due to my own poor decisions.

Once I drew the line in the sand around Christmas, it didn't take me long to straighten out. I've gone for under $25k with no benefits to $55k with excellent benefits. Yes, there's some hassle involved, but you have to do what you have to do.

I'm barely getting warmed up and don't feel 28, especially when I see the wrecks many of my peers' lives have become. I guess I'm a late bloomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships