Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 PM

17 posts, read 72,206 times

Advertisements

I tend to think keeping friends is harder because as time passes, ppl grow and change. The person that you are at age 23 won't be the same person when you are 33. As time passes, ppl get busy with life and they lose touch with each other. I mean we do have social media networks now days to keep in touch, but rarely ppl use these media sites for good. Another factor that friends are hard to keep is because ppl are constantly moving. You make a friend one day, the next day she/he is moving to another state. Which is harder to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:58 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times
I had to say goodbye to my friend of over 20 years, since 1st grade. A combination of getting married, punching out 4 kids with a controlling christian wife, alcohol problems, DUI's, chronic lying and severe depression/abandonment issues pretty much left me with no choice but finally saying goodbye to him. One of the hardest things iv'e ever had to do, as he was at many times, the only friend this lonely, introverted nerd ever had going through school all these years. What other few friends i've had over the years moved on for one reason or another after high school or college. Marriage and having kids tends to really kill friendships as well.

So no, finding/making new friends doesn't even compare.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflamesx View Post
I tend to think keeping friends is harder because as time passes, ppl grow and change. The person that you are at age 23 won't be the same person when you are 33. As time passes, ppl get busy with life and they lose touch with each other. I mean we do have social media networks now days to keep in touch, but rarely ppl use these media sites for good. Another factor that friends are hard to keep is because ppl are constantly moving. You make a friend one day, the next day she/he is moving to another state. Which is harder to you?
Keeping friends. Your post hits the mark on how time and responsibility can cause people to lose touch. Sometimes even more so then physical distance. Can happen to all of us. We think to ourselves we will see the person, Or give them a call and time passes-More each time that we contact one another. Many, Despite thinking fondly of one another find themselves sitting one day in the future at home and wondering how the other is doing. FB, On one of it's positives has helped people reconnect in many cases.

I had one friend, Whom I went to elementary school whom I was friends with until about high school who still lives close to his original home. I last saw him in 1997, Despite us never having any falling out. He married, Had a child and changed careers several times according to a mutual friend-Whom I was close with also and ran into last year when he pulled up with his car at a bus stop I was waiting at in the middle of the night. I had not seen him in years either.

Another one from my childhood I did maintain contact with but rarely see in person. He has personal issues that caused much strife in his life and withdrew a lot. This is a guy I know over 30 years to boot. And another friend-Bringing up another point here-Stopped speaking to me because I did not hang out every week and he felt neglected. I was there for this guy through several difficult life events and still saw him pretty often.

Life is truly a winding road.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:00 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
It is extraordinarily easy to make friends with and maintain friendships with people you like and are compatible with.

If someone is no longer compatible with or likable to me, the friendship is over. Is that what you mean, because it doesn't seem that complicated.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:32 PM

249 posts, read 473,600 times
Keeping friends is tough, what works as a friend at 22 does not work for me at 36. At my age it is hard with everyone being busy to stay connected , many of my friends are having children and that is what their whole life seems to revolve around. They do not have the time to call anyone with their busy schedules. A better question would be how do you keep your friends, what does it take to keep a friend?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
I agree. Making friends isn't hard but keeping friends sure is. Your late teens-mid twenties is when you start to realize how difficult it is to maintain friendships. When you graduate high school some of your friends will go to college, a couple to the military, and some will pursue other things that will occupy a good amount of their time and you won't see each other on a regular basis like you used to. And people change ALOT between 18-25 so you will naturally drift apart from of the people you associated with as friends.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:28 PM

265 posts, read 534,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I agree. Making friends isn't hard but keeping friends sure is. Your late teens-mid twenties is when you start to realize how difficult it is to maintain friendships. When you graduate high school some of your friends will go to college, a couple to the military, and some will pursue other things that will occupy a good amount of their time and you won't see each other on a regular basis like you used to. And people change ALOT between 18-25 so you will naturally drift apart from of the people you associated with as friends.
This.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:48 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
I happen to have a much harder time making friends in the first place.
It's assumed, to me, that people will drift apart, esp. if they no longer enjoy each other-
but I struggle most effortfully with the part where one replenishes one's social network with new people.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:51 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
For me personally, MAKING friends is much more tremendously hard. If I was handed 10 friends right now, I know how to be a good, geniune, fun, & trustworthy friend to people.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM

25 posts, read 67,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflamesx View Post
I don't use social media sites or networking sites, although that is suppose to be one of the main reasons why those sites are so adapt, because they are great over long distances to keep in touch with others you haven't talked to in a while.

As for your question. I don't think making friends is hard nor is keeping them. Usually it depends on your interest and what you or others may have in common. But even if you don't have anything in common it is possible to be friends with someone who is a total opposite.

Having differences with people is just a part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships