Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 11,915 times

Advertisements

I don't understand what the point is, unless you are one of those (very) few people who peaked in high school and thought it was the time of your life, why would you bother going? I'm sure most people had the times of there lives after high school. What i'm saying is, high school really is not that significant.
Furthermore, most of us have kept in contact with the people from high school that we wanted to keep in contact with. Thanks to social networking sites, its easy to find old friends and keep in touch. That being said, if you went to your high school reunion, who exactly are you going there to see? Apparently your former classmates that you weren't friends with because you had nothing in common with them back then, and probably don't now either. So again, what's the point?

It seems to serve as an annual judge and compare competition, to see who's got the best job, who got fat, who's a loser....etc. I mean what else would you talk about? what else is the point of seeing all your classmates you never liked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
To meet up with people you haven't seen much of since high school.

To serve as an annual judge and compare competition, to see who's got the best job, who got fat, who's a loser....etc

Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
This has been discussed repeatedly on City-Data. Try searching for "class reunions" for many differing points of view in all those other threads.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
To meet up with people you haven't seen much of since high school.

To serve as an annual judge and compare competition, to see who's got the best job, who got fat, who's a loser....etc
This. Thanks to Facebook I know what 90% of my classmates look like, what they do, who they're married to, how many kids they have, etc. No point in going to the reunion!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
MOST people enjoyed high school. I did. That does not mean it was the best time of my life.

Facebook is not a substitute for real life conversation. I guess some think how many kids, who the wife is, and where they work is conversation. Being with a group of people you haven't seen in 10 years is enjoyable for MOST people.

Every time a reunion thread is on CD the social misfits show up. MOST people have fond memories of high school. MOST people were not bullied. MOST people did not move 3 times in those 4 years.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
I went to my reunion because I thought it would be fun to see classmates who I hadn't seen in ten years. Turns out it was fun.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
The look of satisfaction you get when you see that popular bully is now a fat loser...

lol just kidding

Should be obvious. Just to see what happened to everyone? Why is this even a question? I'm not going to mine, btw.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I went to our reunions for a lot of reasons. I like to go home, and always hope to run into someone from high school.

I always hope to see certain people, although many of them don't show up. However, I made friends with a couple of people that I rarely spoke to in school.

And, sure, it's interesting to observe how people have changed. And I'll admit that it gave me some sinister pleasure to see a few of the snobby witches age hard. But it also warmed my heart to see how most of the plain ones back then improved and became attractive. So, for me, reunions are a way to hopefully see people you liked at once, and observe how karma can slap you or reward you.

I've stopped going, though. Fewer and fewer people were going, and it just wasn't the same after a while.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
MOST people enjoyed high school. I did. That does not mean it was the best time of my life.

Facebook is not a substitute for real life conversation. I guess some think how many kids, who the wife is, and where they work is conversation. Being with a group of people you haven't seen in 10 years is enjoyable for MOST people.

Every time a reunion thread is on CD the social misfits show up. MOST people have fond memories of high school. MOST people were not bullied. MOST people did not move 3 times in those 4 years.

Absolutely agree. Facebook is not a suitable replacement for human interaction. High school is only four years of a life, but for MANY, they were lasting and impressionable memories.
I am so glad I attended mine.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
I went to one and one was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships