Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,849,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Parents should be parents, not friends.
That's an old saying and I really don't know if it is true. A friend is a person you trust and confide in...My kids when they were young and now that they are adults...confide in me...I guess that makes me their friend now...but when they were really small...I had an immature attitude and I was more like a sibling than a father...If you are going to be the friend of your child...You can do that as long as you do not pretend you are the same age...because you are not. When a mother starts to dress like the daughter...that is a no go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,473,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Maybe you should stop watching TV if you find it so perplexing.
LOL... if that's what you think, it's fine with me.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,785,006 times
My mom was 19 & 21 when my sister and I were born. We have great relationships with her, mainly because she mothered us. We had friends and so did she. Her favorite saying when we were growing up was, "I'm your mother not your friend" along with, "I have to love you, I don't have to like you".

Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,849,169 times
"I do not love them because they are good. I love them because they are my little child"........that is the beginning of tolerance.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:02 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,522,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My relationship with my daughter has always been as her mother. As a child, she would have no concept of me as young, so would not be seeing me as her sister. A woman on a tv courtroom show testified that her daughter always thought of her as a sister since she was only 17 years older. To a young person, seventeen years is an eon. She's been an adult for awhile now, and I asked if she ever thought of me as her sister? Her response: What for?

Have to add, she and I have never had crosswords. Not sure how it happened. It surely didn't happen for my mother.
It all comes down to how a child is raised. It doesn't matter how young the mother is, if she raises her child to look at her as the mother and respect her then the child will never think of her in a sisterly way. I have heard though that many real young mothers will raise their children more like a sister since they are so close in age. I don't think this is health for either the child or the parent.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:57 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,917,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm confused, did you have your daughter when you were 17? Why would you want or expect her to see you as a sister? Your first sentence is most perplexing: "My relationship with my daughter has always been as her mother." - You ARE her mother so why would your relationship with her be anything else?

Stop making sense?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,907,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Parents should be parents, not friends.
While I get the theory behind that statement, in practice I have to disagree........you can be both a Parent AND a friend. I have that relationship with my two Sons. They have always known I am a Father figure and was strict when they were growing up, but we are also best friends and share a terrific relationship with each other on that level too.

They are in their early 40's and we still talk every day. We share our good times and our bad ones too. We enjoy the same hobby and spend time at our shop building cars together. When they were young they were the main focus of my life and we spent most days doing things together. I could come to them with any problem and it would become their problem, as would their problem become mine.

So I kinda get that you are saying that kids will not respect you if you are "friends" with them, but I am living proof it can be done, if you do it the right way. It takes love, consistency, and not asking them to do something you are not willing to do yourself.

Don

Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,745,959 times
Quote:
My relationship with my daughter has always been as her mother. As a child, she would have no concept of me as young, so would not be seeing me as her sister. A woman on a tv courtroom show testified that her daughter always thought of her as a sister since she was only 17 years older. To a young person, seventeen years is an eon. She's been an adult for awhile now, and I asked if she ever thought of me as her sister? Her response: What for?

Have to add, she and I have never had crosswords. Not sure how it happened. It surely didn't happen for my mother.
It's not always a compliment, you know. Some parents are so immature, that their children never see them as the parental figure, just someone who's as immature as they are. It sounds like your daughter respected you and that's a very good thing. Good job, Mom.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:52 PM

88,836 posts, read 85,240,026 times
I remember reading an article by a local newspaper columnist during a time when there was a lot of talk about the problem of teen pregnancy. He said his mother was 16 when he was born, but that never made a difference to HIM. She was always his mother, the woman who cared for him, disciplined him, taught him things, etc. He never thought of her as "teenage mom" because she was never that to him. She was just Mom.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 PM

88,836 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Thanks! English is obviously your first language. LOL. When reading the earlier comments, I wondered why they didn't read my whole post.
No, it's because you didn't make it clear in your OP that YOU were 17 when your daughter was born.

But, I think we've all got it by now! ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships