Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 05:35 AM

239 posts, read 595,778 times

Advertisements

Generally speaking, I think it's rude to show up at someone's door unannounced. That said, I ALWAYS answer my door, because it could be someone in need of something, or something being dropped off. The other day I was sitting around the house and watching a movie when the door bell rang. I was a bit annoyed, and almost didn't answer, but ultimately was glad I did because it was the mailman delivering a birthday package which required a signature.

Then a couple weeks ago, I knocked on a neighbor's door late one afternoon (which I never do, and I don't have her number). The next morning she ran into me on the street and said it was rude that I showed up at her door unannounced, and that's why she didn't answer. I pointed to her car and told her she'd left her lights on, and I just knocked to let her know. When she tried to start the car (and it wouldn't start), she apologized.

I'm curious what other people do when someone shows up unannounced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I don't think it is rude if you are not expecting to be invited in and only want to tell the person something important while standing at their doorstep.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Nope.

I am not dropping what I am doing and schlepping my butt all the way to the other side of the house to deal with a (illegal) solicitor.

It has never been a friend or neighbor dropping by just to say hi.

We all have each other's cell phones. We text or call first.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:41 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
I thought it was generally rude to ignore someone knocking at the door. Usually it's a delivery, or something. I don't think a friend showing up at someone's house is rude at all, unless of course as Chava said they expect to be invited in, unless there's good reason for them to be there. Of course, many friends do this a lot, and it's common in a lot of other cultures around the world (certainly not uncommon in South-East Asian cultures which is my family background). If you're busy or it's not a good time simply say so, dunno why people are getting in arms about it being 'rude.' Of course, I don't purposely go out of my way to go to someone's house without telling them, it might be if I'm in the neighbourhood or something, or if I have some reason to drop by.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
We have an even bigger problem. People (usually teenagers) who just walk into our house if doors are unlocked. They show up unannounced and suddenly are just in the house. I've explained that if you just walk in and my dogs attack you, that's your own damn fault because technically you are trespassing. They will not attack if you ring the fully functioning doorbells and let someone bring you into the house! So, Unannounced is fine with me. Walking in on your own is something else entirely!

Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
No. I won't answer if I'm not expecting anyone. The people I am friends with aren't just going to "stop by" and any packages I'm expecting get left with the business downstairs from me. If I had a house and there was a pkg that required a signature, the postal worker can just leave one of those cards and I'll go to the post office the next day to pick it up. No biggie there.

If it's UPS or FedEx, I would have been expecting it, so I would glance out the window and see if I see the truck (which you can usually hear, anyway!)

Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 AM

624 posts, read 939,110 times
Depends on how I look. I don't like people showing up unannounced and everyone who knows me well knows that, but so few people knock on doors these days that I figure it's no bother to see who it is if I don't look like I just woke up.

I even answer for Mormon kids and Jehovah's witnesses. I'm a non-theist and I think it's obnoxious that they spread their message to people in their own homes, but they are just doing what they believe is right to do. I just take their literature and politely ask them to refrain from coming again. I'm not judging anybody here who wouldn't do that, but for me personally it's not that big of an inconvenience. I guess I'm kind of a "front porch society" holdover in some respects.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 AM

838 posts, read 1,352,943 times
I don't like it at all. I live around family and it wasn't nothing for a cousin to just walk in if we didn't answer the door quick enough. Sorry but this isn't the Andy Griffith show.

The fix? I bought Doberman pup which is now 1.5 years old and lives indoors. I no longer have an issue with people wanting to come to my house unannounced and I sure as hell don't have anymore family walking into my house without me saying it's ok.

Although I don't think he would bite anyone, the way he barks and runs to the door when someone knocks you would think he would tear your ass up.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
Generally speaking, I think it's rude to show up at someone's door unannounced. That said, I ALWAYS answer my door, because it could be someone in need of something, or something being dropped off. The other day I was sitting around the house and watching a movie when the door bell rang. I was a bit annoyed, and almost didn't answer, but ultimately was glad I did because it was the mailman delivering a birthday package which required a signature.

Then a couple weeks ago, I knocked on a neighbor's door late one afternoon (which I never do, and I don't have her number). The next morning she ran into me on the street and said it was rude that I showed up at her door unannounced, and that's why she didn't answer. I pointed to her car and told her she'd left her lights on, and I just knocked to let her know. When she tried to start the car (and it wouldn't start), she apologized.

I'm curious what other people do when someone shows up unannounced.
If I knew people thought it was rude to ring their door bell I would not do it even if I saw their car broken into, left their lights on, found their wallet on the street or anything else that this person might want to know about. I would let it be a rude surprise instead.
In other words -You get what you ask for.

If a person like other people on this board said, wont even bother to make it to the door to see who it is and why they are there, why should I bother even making the attempt to do the right thing.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I don't open my door, but I also live in a two family house in an urban area and can't see who is at the door without going downstairs. I don't live my life in fear, but as a woman living in a city, I'm not going to go out of my way either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships