Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Normally I agree with you.

And I don't go about fuming in anger over even the extreme case I described. I just have no interest in friendly reconnecting, with unrepentant rapists, no matter how many years ago it was. There is enough "grudge" left in me to shut them out and want nothing to do with them, since justice is not possible.

I'd feel the same way if I had known someone who, say, tortured animals or something. There are some things I just don't forgive, that's all.

If that is sad and petty of me, then so be it. I'm a little judgmental when it comes to such things.

But I'd never go to a HS reunion anyhow. I attended 4 different schools, and moved many times, and now live across the country from where I grew up. I am connected by social media to only a handful of my former classmates, and we never talk. I have many friends, just not from that period of my life.
What you described is horrible, reprehensible behavior, and rises above "holding a grudge" territory. Most of the talk here though is holding a grudge simply against those they perceived to be the snooty popular cheerleader/jock crowd...now decades older. "Boo hoo, Janey Jumpsuit never gave me the time of day back in 1974, I'm never gonna let that go and Janey can just suck it up and deal with me never coming to a reunion!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
What you described is horrible, reprehensible behavior, and rises above "holding a grudge" territory. Most of the talk here though is holding a grudge simply against those they perceived to be the snooty popular cheerleader/jock crowd...now decades older. "Boo hoo, Janey Jumpsuit never gave me the time of day back in 1974, I'm never gonna let that go and Janey can just suck it up and deal with me never coming to a reunion!!"
...ah.

Sorry, guess that is hard for me to imagine.

Although I can confess to a little bit of petty smuggery when I found out a boy I'd dated in high school, who dumped me for a girl I didn't like and set off a pretty angsty time for my moody, broody goth teenage self, is not really doing all that well as an adult. Gained weight, lost his hair, has a dead end job, divorced, just really blah life...and compare his present to some of the successes I've enjoyed and the awesome experiences I've lived and my generally happy existence.

I know it's mere coincidence, but some things feel like karma, y'know? When you find out the popular kids who treated you badly, went on to become loser adults, it's not quite a grudge, but you do get a smidge of satisfaction from that, I think.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
...ah.
Although I can confess to a little bit of petty smuggery when I found out a boy I'd dated in high school, who dumped me for a girl I didn't like and set off a pretty angsty time for my moody, broody goth teenage self, is not really doing all that well as an adult. Gained weight, lost his hair, has a dead end job, divorced, just really blah life...and compare his present to some of the successes I've enjoyed and the awesome experiences I've lived and my generally happy existence.

I know it's mere coincidence, but some things feel like karma, y'know? When you find out the popular kids who treated you badly, went on to become loser adults, it's not quite a grudge, but you do get a smidge of satisfaction from that, I think.
I think it's okay to not feel sorry for them, and I think it's okay to even laugh about them.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
And it's perfectly okay for them to feel that way, no matter how strongly someone else disapproves of their feelings.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
And it's perfectly okay for them to feel that way, no matter how strongly someone else disapproves of their feelings.
Yup, it's their choice.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 PM

344 posts, read 245,106 times
I never had any issues with people in high school so no grudges. In fact, I am still friends with many and very good friends with a few. They know me best and love me anyway. :-)

Old 01-18-2018, 06:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Ha, ha. Karma I get but it for me it is for other adults who are way out of school, lol.

I also get what you mean about truly "bad/mean" people from school. No I wouldn't want to be friends with them but that is not a grudge. To me that would be common sense. I have no use for either toxic or bad people in my life but I also don't think about or waste my time on them.

If it "is" minor stupid HS stuff then yeah people should let it go. In the scheme of life it is just not that important. It's unhealthy and unproductive to carry baggage like grudges around. Move on.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:18 PM

I know a guy who looks up criminal records of people he went to H.S. with and posts it on social media on his personal page. He does this on a fairly regular basis. A lot of it is DWIs, domestic violence arrests, assault and battery, etc.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:32 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
I'm still holding a grudge against the kid who wouldn't trade their twinkie with me in the 3rd grade. Hope that twinkie gave him the runs.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I know a guy who looks up criminal records of people he went to H.S. with and posts it on social media on his personal page. He does this on a fairly regular basis. A lot of it is DWIs, domestic violence arrests, assault and battery, etc.
How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships