Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:01 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times

Advertisements

Recently started a job which I absolutely enjoy going to. (Surprising in this market). After the first weeks of learning the skills and training...I also learned cattiness is alive and well . One co worker enjoys taunting the newbies. Beyond that my one boss is a bit too opinionated about our team members. I may have my personal views of team members (mostly positive and encouraging). My boss though says things that are best served directly with the employee privately and not within earshot of
workers. It makes us team members feel undervalued.
Curious if I should gently say something or just bury my head and let the morale erode the team. I'm overly a believer in accentuating the positive in folks to encourage better results. So I pose....Is silence (put up and shut up warranted) in this matter? Or what can be done to ease the boss's mouth from being engaged in public areas of our faculty? His boss is aware and says while he's abrasive he knows the market. She is a wise and. Diplomatic boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 05:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
You've been there how long exactly? Based on your words, not nearly long enough to make your dissenting opinions known to anyone. In this case, your silence is indeed going to be considered golden.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:03 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,209,544 times
I concur with Mattie.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,472,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You've been there how long exactly? Based on your words, not nearly long enough to make your dissenting opinions known to anyone. In this case, your silence is indeed going to be considered golden.
Thanks ! So put up and shut up .Gotcha every boss's dream answer.

I'll keep that wisdom and disregard the underlying message of you're new so you don't get a say.
ahh fresh eyes to see and a closed mouth to hum with

Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

I'll keep that wisdom and disregard the underlying message of you're new so you don't get a say.
It's not just every boss's dream answer. It's the wise thing to do.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:26 AM

23,352 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's not just every boss's dream answer. It's the wise thing to do.
Yes at this point I have to grudgingly agree. Silence may be golden, but there's another wise saying; there is a proper time and place for everything. Stepping in right now may be premature. OP, its not because we think what you described is acceptable, its that you are new enough that your opinion doesn't carry much weight YET. You may not realize some of the undercurrents in your office yet. If you start delivering unsolicited suggestions to management you'll come off as an arrogant know-it-all. That's not going to endear you to anyone and they may simply ignore you. It could backfire on you. However, you can start earning the ear and respect of your managers by behaving professionally and honestly with all. When opportunities to change policies come up, volunteer to get involved. When the chance for feedback comes up, give it. If someone asks staff how to improve something, make suggestions instead of simply criticize. Don't mimic the bad stuff you see in others. Don't be catty, don't make snide remarks, gossip, or treat others disrespectfully. They will learn that you are someone to be trusted with a good head on your shoulders. That's going to give what you say some weight.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-20-2018 at 12:41 AM..

Old 01-20-2018, 01:08 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,252,573 times
If you're not yet a target by the judgmental boss or gossiping co-workers, try to stay that way. If you're in their crosshairs, then silence, the high road etc isn't really going to save you.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:50 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,065,399 times
Quote:

You know you could have saved yourself some time and just do what you want instead of feigning interest in others' answers. Methinks you're not as positive as you think you are.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,069,908 times
Quote:
Recently started a job which I absolutely enjoy going to. (Surprising in this market). After the first weeks of learning the skills and training...I also learned cattiness is alive and well . One co worker enjoys taunting the newbies. Beyond that my one boss is a bit too opinionated about our team members. I may have my personal views of team members (mostly positive and encouraging). My boss though says things that are best served directly with the employee privately and not within earshot of
workers. It makes us team members feel undervalued.
Curious if I should gently say something or just bury my head and let the morale erode the team. I'm overly a believer in accentuating the positive in folks to encourage better results. So I pose....Is silence (put up and shut up warranted) in this matter? Or what can be done to ease the boss's mouth from being engaged in public areas of our faculty? His boss is aware and says while he's abrasive he knows the market. She is a wise and. Diplomatic boss.
Yes but duct tape is silver.

My friend has a sign in the kitchen at his cafe.
If you see someone doing something wrong, unless it's your official position to say something please shut your mouth.

He is wise and diplomatic.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Yes at this point I have to grudgingly agree. Silence may be golden, but there's another wise saying; there is a proper time and place for everything. Stepping in right now may be premature. OP, its not because we think what you described is acceptable, its that you are new enough that your opinion doesn't carry much weight YET. You may not realize some of the undercurrents in your office yet. If you start delivering unsolicited suggestions to management you'll come off as an arrogant know-it-all. That's not going to endear you to anyone and they may simply ignore you. It could backfire on you. However, you can start earning the ear and respect of your managers by behaving professionally and honestly with all. When opportunities to change policies come up, volunteer to get involved. When the chance for feedback comes up, give it. If someone asks staff how to improve something, make suggestions instead of simply criticize. Don't mimic the bad stuff you see in others. Don't be catty, don't make snide remarks, gossip, or treat others disrespectfully. They will learn that you are someone to be trusted with a good head on your shoulders. That's going to give what you say some weight.
Well we have no idea what "recently" means, and the OP never said even after being asked. Is is two weeks, two months, etc.?

When you're the "new kid on the block" best to keep your mouth shut, and your ear to the ground, find out who the backstabbers are.

I have always found the ones who start telling you right away who to watch and want to be your best friend, and the worst ones...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships