Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,724 times

Advertisements

I graduated from high school in 2009. I'm a 22 year old guy. There are a few people (mostly just one girl) that hates me so much that she blocked me on Facebook. I ran into her the other day and said Hi and was just trying to be nice and she says "ew" and gives me a dirty look. but we graduated over 4 years ago. We are all grown now. Anything that happened in high school is just that. I was a senior in high school 5 years ago. I don't even remember why this girl is mad at me. I know I shouldn't let it bother me now, but my school was small so everybody knows everybody and talks to each other. I have a Facebook page and have seen people I went to school with, but wasn't sure if I should say hello or anything because I don't know how they would react.

Am I just overreacting or do some of you still hold grudges from people you went to high school with?

Last edited by aboveordinary; 11-15-2013 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Is it really such a big deal when someone whose feeling you may have hurt years ago blocks you from FB? As you said - some of your group are all grown now. Maybe not all.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,955 times
I dont believe ANYONE could hate someone SO MUCH to actually BLOCK THEM FROM FACEBOOK.

Now that is true HATE. That's worse than a dagger in the heart...and the shame and humiliation that goes with such an act. I feel for you.

and you say you are 22?

Old 11-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I dont believe ANYONE could hate someone SO MUCH to actually BLOCK THEM FROM FACEBOOK.

Now that is true HATE. That's worse than a dagger in the heart...and the shame and humiliation that goes with such an act. I feel for you.

and you say you are 22?
Well if you block someone on facebook you obviously strongly dislike them otherwise you would just unfriend them and be done with it. I didn't post this to get answers like yours back. I wanted to delete the thread but there isn't an option to do so so Im stuck with it now.

Yes, It does matter to me when people from school say things like "ew" when they see me. I'm the type of person that doesn't like anybody being mad at me.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Is it really such a big deal when someone whose feeling you may have hurt years ago blocks you from FB? As you said - some of your group are all grown now. Maybe not all.
People evolve and change throughout time, for better or worse. It is rather pointless in my opinion to hold grudges towards those from high school. We were young and emotionally immature, one could not possibly expect us to be strong enough to resist the pressures put upon us.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:12 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,219 times
Lol@ 30to66at55.

I graduated high school two years after you, OP. I wouldn't say that I hold any grudges against my former classmates. There are a handful of people from my grade school and high schools that I would never ever want to see again and whom, if we were in the same room, I'd fantasize about slapping, but that's about the worst of it. That's not a grudge, though, because I don't think about those people in my daily life since I don't have to see them anymore because I moved far from home.

Maybe this girl blocked you in order to achieve that same "out of sight, out of mind" status that I'm talking about. You won't appear in her news feed or show up on her friend's pages, so she doesn't have to be reminded of the stress you caused her when you two knew each other.

Also, just because whatever you did to her wasn't important enough for you to remember it doesn't mean it was equally trivial for her. Sometimes you can make dumb comments toward another person that you know are wrong but don't consider a huge deal while the victim of the comments is legitimately hurt by what you said and remembers it forever.

And I think using the excuse that you were young and emotionally immature is a total cop out. It might be true, but that doesn't mean whatever it is you did had less impact just because you were young and dumb when you did. Mean is mean no matter how old you are.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
Yes, It does matter to me when people from school say things like "ew" when they see me. I'm the type of person that doesn't like anybody being mad at me.
If I was in your shoes I too would be concerned with "ew." "Ew" could indicate something outwardly disgusting or revolting that could turn off strangers with whom you are trying to make a positive first impression. If the former classmate had simply said "I hate you" I could deal with that as it falls under the mantra that you can't please everyone all the time.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 11-15-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM

9,080 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
And I think using the excuse that you were young and emotionally immature is a total cop out. It might be true, but that doesn't mean whatever it is you did had less impact just because you were young and dumb when you did. Mean is mean no matter how old you are.
Furthermore almost everyone is young and emotionally immature at one point in life BUT not everyone was mean and nasty to others at the same time. I know it has been said before but it is always worth repeating.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:24 PM

122 posts, read 349,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I graduated from high school in 2009. I'm a 22 year old guy. There are a few people (mostly just one girl) that hates me so much that she blocked me on Facebook. I ran into her the other day and said Hi and was just trying to be nice and she says "ew" and gives me a dirty look. but we graduated over 4 years ago. We are all grown now. Anything that happened in high school is just that. I was a senior in high school 5 years ago. I don't even remember why this girl is mad at me. I know I shouldn't let it bother me now, but my school was small so everybody knows everybody and talks to each other. I have a Facebook page and have seen people I went to school with, but wasn't sure if I should say hello or anything because I don't know how they would react.

Am I just overreacting or do some of you still hold grudges from people you went to high school with?
I hold a grudge against one girl... Here's the story

We used to be the best of friends. It was me, this girl and my guy BFF who has been my BFF since 3rd grade. Well a few wks before our graduation, my guy BFF "came out". This girl was a devout Catholic and was totally against it. She was furious he came out to me first and even more furious that she considered him a friend when his lifestyle was a sin. She cut both of us out of her life. I blocked her and so did he. We want nothing to do with her anymore. I get some religions dont condone homosexuality but she was acting like a nut from the Westboro Church. lol If she cant accept my friend for who he is, I dont need to accept her or the hate in her heart. A lot of people who ignored me in HS requested me on FB and I approve em.. doesnt really matter to me..

Old 11-15-2013, 04:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
My word. Get over it, people. Don't you know that just about everybody in high school was an asshat in some form or fashion? Because teenagers are pretty much the most self-centered and self-absorbed people on the planet.

I can't tell you how many times I've encountered someone who was a jerk in high school, but morphed into someone incredibly nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships