Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:55 PM

799 posts, read 1,549,644 times

Advertisements

Here is the deal:

I have a colleague who has been unemployed for an extended period of time (9 months). Honestly, she was overpaid in her previous role and is now coming to grips with some of the harsh realities of this economy. She is low on skills and high on what she thinks she is worth.

I gave her odd jobs and have lent a few hundred dollars once at the beginning of this cycle (not since). She always finds excuses why she can't go to a restaurant and wait tables or apply to jobs at Macy's over the holidays-- bottom line, she thinks she is too good for these roles and would rather just complain and ask for handouts. Meanwhile she drives a Mercedes and wears $500 shoes. I suggest selling some of her high end clothing online, and she wants me to spend hours showing her how. I don't have the time, energy or inclination. She pressures me to send around her resume (we are in the same field) and I have done so, but her expectations are unrealistic. When she gets a bite, she finds a reason why she can't take the job or go to the interview. The story is starting to sound very tired.

Recently she had a birthday. I was going out for dinner that night with a group of friends, so I offered to treat her. I had a moment where I felt badly for her-- alone on her birthday, no income, etc. She came, and we behaved as we normally do, which is to say we had fun, ate and drank at a nice place. The next day I got a call that she didn't "connect" with my friends and basically wants to spend time with me one on one. She then proceeded to imply that one of my friends has a substance abuse problem (not true).

I am about to cut off all contact. Suggestions for what to say or how to approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 03:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Just don't call her. Or take her calls.

Thank god for the age of caller id.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just don't call her. Or take her calls.

Thank god for the age of caller id.
This! End thread & switch off the lights !

Old 12-02-2013, 04:02 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Delete her from Facebook, stop answering the phone when she calls.... she will figure it out. You don't owe it to her to be her friend and from the sounds of it she is disrespecting your friends and just using you. You don't even own her an explanation. No one needs friends like that. Just walk away.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I find it highly disrespectful to just disappear, no matter how bad a person is.

If I am a person who gets cut off by someone, I would like to know why. If nobody ever tells people how unreasonable they are, how can they change?

I would tell her everything that annoys you and then cut the contact. This is how I always do it and I find it fair.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find it highly disrespectful to just disappear, no matter how bad a person is.
I see no reason to give someone respect when they have not seen fit to give to you.

If a person notices a patter in which all of their friends silently vanish they might begin to look more closely at themselves as to why and either choose to change or not. That's up to them.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:33 PM

I think, you show you are the better person in explaining why you can't be around that person anymore. If you just disappear, you are no better than them.

I have had alot of first dates in the last half year. All guys told me I look much better as on my pics. Everybody acted overly excited that I cook and bake. however, most guys I liked disappeared after the first date. Some because I didnt kiss them right away. But most - I have no clue, why. Now I am trying to figure out what I did wrong and it causes me a big headache. If the guys just would tell me "hey, you smell" or "dress better", I would know what to change. Now I am totally insecure and keep analyzing every sentence that I exchanged with these guys to figure out, where I need to improve. Sucks, because it takes the whole fun out of meeting new people

Last edited by oh-eve; 12-02-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think, you show you are the better person in explaining why you can't be around that person anymore. If you just disappear, you are no better than them.
Who says you need to be better than anyone? Who says you always need to treat every person with respect, even when they don't deserve it? And who says you can't sometimes be selfish?

We each live our life the best we can. Taking care of yourself sometimes means that you have to stop taking care of everyone else.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
We each live our life the best we can. Taking care of yourself sometimes means that you have to stop taking care of everyone else.
Then tell the person why you cut him/her out of your life.

Nobody says you have to take care of people you don't like.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Here is the deal:

I have a colleague who has been unemployed for an extended period of time (9 months). Honestly, she was overpaid in her previous role and is now coming to grips with some of the harsh realities of this economy. She is low on skills and high on what she thinks she is worth.

I gave her odd jobs and have lent a few hundred dollars once at the beginning of this cycle (not since). She always finds excuses why she can't go to a restaurant and wait tables or apply to jobs at Macy's over the holidays-- bottom line, she thinks she is too good for these roles and would rather just complain and ask for handouts. Meanwhile she drives a Mercedes and wears $500 shoes. I suggest selling some of her high end clothing online, and she wants me to spend hours showing her how. I don't have the time, energy or inclination. She pressures me to send around her resume (we are in the same field) and I have done so, but her expectations are unrealistic. When she gets a bite, she finds a reason why she can't take the job or go to the interview. The story is starting to sound very tired.

Recently she had a birthday. I was going out for dinner that night with a group of friends, so I offered to treat her. I had a moment where I felt badly for her-- alone on her birthday, no income, etc. She came, and we behaved as we normally do, which is to say we had fun, ate and drank at a nice place. The next day I got a call that she didn't "connect" with my friends and basically wants to spend time with me one on one. She then proceeded to imply that one of my friends has a substance abuse problem (not true).

I am about to cut off all contact. Suggestions for what to say or how to approach?
I guess it would be a hard adjustment to go from making a good wage to one that's waaay lower..I think your lending her money like you did and treating her to dinner was real nice...The fact that you "send around her resume" was more than a lot of people would do, especially when she's capable of doing it herself....Sounds to me like the only real reason she wants to spend "time with me one on one" could be because she might find it harder to leech off you with others around to see it.
You should just be frank..tell her you have no more money to spare, and you wish her luck.
She sounds like she's just taking advantage of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships