Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:16 AM

36 posts, read 48,566 times

Advertisements

Backgound:
me-American-Latino.30s.
Her -European. late 20s
Relationship type: strictly friendship. No sexual interest 2 ways.

I have a friend of three years. As mentioned above, shes european. Move to the US five years ago. We've been around each other socially within circles. Shes a nuice gal but really have no interest in pursuing the friendship further than among our social circle.

Why?
We come from two different backgrounds. Our values are simply different. I know she enjoys being around me but i simply dont respect many things she believes. Primarily gender roles.

Like most women, she was brought up with notion a guy should pay for things, open doors, give women special treatment.

Those arent my values. I am a different person. I treat everyone equally regardless who they are but refuse to be responsible for , take care of, pay for any woman or provide special accommodation for them. i really do feel friendships are no exception to this.

This is an issue in the friendship and something we're constantly bumping heads with. Personally, how she handles men is her perogative but i hate being imposed certain expectation.

i can respect we're different as long as my differences are also being respected.

We have a good group of friends and really unsure how to really set these boundaries.. I dont mind being friends with her but there needs to be firm ground between me and my female friends.

like i said, i can respect their differences but they need to respect mine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:39 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,072,203 times
We'll, if you're just friends, what exactly is she wanting you to do for her that you object to?

And if you treat everyone equally how do you know who your friends are?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 AM

11,407 posts, read 24,508,673 times
You're not really a friend if you're concerned about who opens the door. You're not really a friend if you lump her into a gender category.

You'd be angry if I said I have to set boundaries with Latino men because of their cultural machismo problems. It's no fun to be stereotyped.

Get over yourself.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:33 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,258,386 times
Boundaries have to be communicated, either in body language or verbally.

So if your boundary is the expectation that you have to pay for her in social settings just because she's a female, hopefully you've communicated that to her and she will not impose on that boundary.

I do think the being expected to open the door boundary is a little silly though.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,819,675 times
If its not working just keep your distance. Refuse circumstances that are awkward or not enjoyable. And, tell her your thoughts - perhaps she will self select out - but I doubt it. People like that just hang on.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,404,473 times
OP, you need to give us some specific examples of how you're "bumping heads". It's impossible for us to comment and be helpful without examples of the dialogue between you.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:10 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,044,069 times
Europe has tons of different cultures. Which country is she from?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 AM

936 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive55 View Post
Backgound:
me-American-Latino.30s.
Her -European. late 20s
Relationship type: strictly friendship. No sexual interest 2 ways.

I have a friend of three years. As mentioned above, shes european. Move to the US five years ago. We've been around each other socially within circles. Shes a nuice gal but really have no interest in pursuing the friendship further than among our social circle.

Why?
We come from two different backgrounds. Our values are simply different. I know she enjoys being around me but i simply dont respect many things she believes. Primarily gender roles.

Like most women, she was brought up with notion a guy should pay for things, open doors, give women special treatment.

Those arent my values. I am a different person. I treat everyone equally regardless who they are but refuse to be responsible for , take care of, pay for any woman or provide special accommodation for them. i really do feel friendships are no exception to this.

This is an issue in the friendship and something we're constantly bumping heads with. Personally, how she handles men is her perogative but i hate being imposed certain expectation.

i can respect we're different as long as my differences are also being respected.

We have a good group of friends and really unsure how to really set these boundaries.. I dont mind being friends with her but there needs to be firm ground between me and my female friends.

like i said, i can respect their differences but they need to respect mine
Most of those things are rules with girlfriends/romantic partners, not platonic friends. Opening doors may be a common courtesy, but paying for things? Why would you pay for things for her if your relationship is platonic?

What have you left out of this story?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 PM

36 posts, read 48,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
You're not really a friend if you're concerned about who opens the door. You're not really a friend if you lump her into a gender category.

You'd be angry if I said I have to set boundaries with Latino men because of their cultural machismo problems. It's no fun to be stereotyped.

Get over yourself.
This is exactly the attitude from a female that makes me turn my shoulder. Reality check , if doing any of those things are the only means of establishing a relationship with a woman, then i have no interest in being involved with that person.

Men dont owe you crap. I'm not anyones father.Sorry you were misinformed.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:17 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,072,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognitive55 View Post
This is exactly the attitude from a female that makes me turn my shoulder. Reality check , if doing any of those things are the only means of establishing a relationship with a woman, then i have no interest in being involved with that person.

Men dont owe you crap. I'm not anyones father.Sorry you were misinformed.
Could you please define what friendship is to you? No one said opening doors, etc, are the only ways to establish friendships, but doesn't everyone go out of their way for a friend? Doesn't that consideration and intimacy (non-sexual) differentiate friends from acquaintances or strangers, male or female?

I echo Vic 2.0--what exactly has happened with this girl? Why all the anger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships