Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,754,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Agree with this one!

Why the need to poop on the book? I really don't get the anger that so many atheists have. If it's something you don't believe in, it shouldn't arouse such extreme emotion in you. It should be just a "neutral" issue.

the poop part was a joke. like i'm really going to squat over and aim my poop on a book.

why would you assume atheist are angry? i'm generally even tempered. it takes A LOT to get me angry.

if someone is "poked" at enough, they will react.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,581,952 times
I truly doubt that your brother sent the bible as an affront to you - perhaps he sent it as a means to give you something to think about. If you ever want to have any type of a relationship with him or his family it is going to be up to you to make some effort - he probably knows that he is a waste of your effort and that you only tolerate him. That being made obvious to him - I think he is making it obvious to you - that if you want any type of a relationship with him (while he is above ground) then maybe you need to read up a bit and find out some of what he is about, his beliefs and what is important to him and his family. Relationships have more than one perspective you know - all you have related here is how disrespected you are and how condescending it was to receive a bible in the mail - grow up and open your eyes. He is offering you a way to actually have a relationship with your family - and you are willing to just throw that away. You don't have to memorize it, or quote it, or even read it. Just be respectful of it, appreciate that he gave it to you. Some day it may be all you have left of him - if you can tolerate it taking up valuable space in your closet. I'm not sure if you're an atheist, or just ignorant and rude. Either way - I'm glad you're not my brother.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
i was pretty sure you were trolling for reaction in this thread before this post. If you want advice, ask for it. If you want to be an az whole, don't drag us around with you.

i wish i were trolling. i guess u think i should just take the kind of low blows that come with a backhanded gift like this. it was a passive aggressive move. period. i'm entitled to be a bit offended.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,961,756 times
You need to repent and read the bible

Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,667,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
i wish i were trolling. i guess u think i should just take the kind of low blows that come with a backhanded gift like this. it was a passive aggressive move. period. i'm entitled to be a bit offended.
It sounds more like your hoping to be offended.

Unless there is some back story that you decided not to tell, it sounds like you're the little kid having a tantrum in order to get attention.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I truly doubt that your brother sent the bible as an affront to you - perhaps he sent it as a means to give you something to think about. If you ever want to have any type of a relationship with him or his family it is going to be up to you to make some effort - he probably knows that he is a waste of your effort and that you only tolerate him. That being made obvious to him - I think he is making it obvious to you - that if you want any type of a relationship with him (while he is above ground) then maybe you need to read up a bit and find out some of what he is about, his beliefs and what is important to him and his family. Relationships have more than one perspective you know - all you have related here is how disrespected you are and how condescending it was to receive a bible in the mail - grow up and open your eyes. He is offering you a way to actually have a relationship with your family - and you are willing to just throw that away. You don't have to memorize it, or quote it, or even read it. Just be respectful of it, appreciate that he gave it to you. Some day it may be all you have left of him - if you can tolerate it taking up valuable space in your closet. I'm not sure if you're an atheist, or just ignorant and rude. Either way - I'm glad you're not my brother.

i know all about the bible already. learning more is redundant.

i'm fine with religious people. i'm fine with religious freedom. what gets old is when people don't respect one's right not to be religious. do you think it would be ok for me to send a book explaining how his beliefs are wrong?

Old 12-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
You need to repent and read the bible

lol... i'll get right on it.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:19 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,222,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeneric13 View Post
It's annoying when people shove their religions down your throat. My dad does that and wonders why we have no relationship now. Toss the book and send him back something that you find interesting. Bonus points for 50 Shades of Grey, lol.
Or maybe a certain book by Anton LaVey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
LOL.

Funny to see the obvious lines in the sand here.

I bet anyone Christian who was sent a copy of the Quran by a relative for whom that is their main religious text wouldn't find it so pleasant either.

It's a subtle form of disapproval with intent to convert/save the OP.

And yes, it's insulting.
Yep. Whenever Christians want to share their bible, first thing I think is, "Imagine if you sent them a Quran."

Old 12-10-2013, 03:21 PM

8,084 posts, read 10,105,696 times
It's very creepy to have someone send you a bible. It is NOT just any book, and comes with a lot of baggage and subtle undertones. To me, it is one of the reasons to avoid getting close with religious people--not because I care about their beliefs, but because they don't know enough to keep it to themselves.

The best way to handle it is to re-gift it to a homeless shelter or some church type outfit and move along. Don't waster you time dealing with the brother. If he ever mentions it, tell him it wasn't something in which you had any interest but that you gave it to a good cause.

Shake it off, but it is really weird for someone (anyone) to do that to another person--particularly a person who has no religious/christian interests. Creepy.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,667,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
i know all about the bible already. learning more is redundant.

i'm fine with religious people. i'm fine with religious freedom. what gets old is when people don't respect one's right not to be religious. do you think it would be ok for me to send a book explaining how his beliefs are wrong?
If he is part of a religion that doesn't believe in going to a doctor or that encourages followers to handle poisonous snakes, absolutely.

However, if his religious isn't causing him any harm, why would you?

He obviously feels that you are in danger, in his eyes, and wants to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships