Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:43 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,649,427 times

Advertisements

report it to HR. Legally they have to investigate and address this situation. You should be able to do this anonymously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,577,164 times
Here is what I've told my kids over the years regarding the work environment. IF you are having a problem with others, then keep a detailed journal and I mean detailed. Date, time, event, quotes when possible. Don't keep it on a computer at the office. Keep it in a paper notebook.

One day, the "stuff" will hit the fan in some way. Count on it.

When it does, you will be armed with your journal which can count as good evidence of ongoing issues. The EEOC can run with that if it becomes necessary. It is something you can show your boss and give him/her a copy. NEVER RELINQUISH YOUR ORIGINAL.

As for "going along" with these useless twits, you know the deal if you want to keep your job. That is your call. But start the journal today. Details.

BTW, I have done that as a manager, tracking a recalcitrant employee. When it became time, I had the goods. I also had counseling sheets but that is not going to happen for you.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:45 PM

458 posts, read 612,150 times
So, they're lighting you up like a Christmas tree talking about you once you leave their presence. And you shouldn't expect they would have an ounce of respect for you (even if you never laughed at the jokes), your refusal to walk away with your two grown a$$ feet is a joke in itself.

Remove yourself from the conversation dear! your passiveness is not going to cause this situation to end any more pleasantly than showing a bit of character and pride

Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 AM

4 posts, read 6,998 times
Yes write down what they say and report it to HR. Talk to a lawyer. On avvo.com you can write your question and get answers from attorneys for free. They are creating a hostile work atmosphere and that is against workplace laws. The lawyers would be able to tell you your options including how to approach HR. I'm not saying you can or should sue, just to see what you can do. It's possible others in the office feel the way you do, regardless of their ethnicity.

Last edited by bwayrose; 12-18-2013 at 03:29 AM..

Old 12-18-2013, 04:32 AM

54 posts, read 135,267 times
We don't have HR department, my boss is the one that manages everything...sometimes even these two coworkers.
I could talk to my boss because he is very understanding, but he can't do anything, it will affect me in a bad way, it is not something really link to work and at the end of the day they are two people he loves and good "coworkers" (because everything they do is perfect and of course their mistakes are always covered by them) and of course I am the new one so... if you compare me to them my position is very weak.

The conclusion of all of this is: if you have the right people liking you, If the right people buy what you "sell" you can go everywhere...

Sometimes it is not only the racist part, is the "clique" they have created here, the fact that they run everything here... because she is very liked by the boss because she is been in the firm since day one, and she is a friend of the other coworker cousin so she loves him too and of course he is liked by my boss by association, and because that cousin worked with my boss. It is very frustrating think that I'm a second class worker and that they will treat me as a second class worker probably just because I am black, jokes behind my back included.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 3,025 times
Sadly, there will be no end to discrimination. To be like a duck..whose beautiful feathers are coated with special oil is the way I choose to live, and teach my children to and all others. Think..a duck can float atop water,while other birds cannot!
Be the duck---picture the water that runs off your back to be the ignorant cruel discriminatory words and actions of people--in this way--they cannot affect you. Float, peacefully atop the waters--until you can fly away! Learn what you can from the job. Be polite to others.Do not allow them to try and enter your private life. Look for a job--elsewhere! Look for those who are like-minded--not narrow minded. My mother always taught me to walk away from all of those who behave in a way that hurts another person. My grandmother taught me, there is no human that is black or white. We are all a shade of brown--as well as each of us is a direct reflection of our Creator. All a part of human species--yet each of a different classification--It is whats inside that counts---we reflect on the outside--what is inside us, we all have free will, know right from wrong,look to migrate with other ducks--who have the simple gift of seeing the importance of living,working, and being near those of a like mindedness. Wasting good energy on people who are cruel,gossip,lie,cheat and steal is just that. Stay away--do not become a part of their twisted drama...be free...

Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,577,164 times
"The conclusion of all of this is: if you have the right people liking you, If the right people buy what you "sell" you can go everywhere..."

Bingo! You got it.

You seem to have all of this worked out in your mind though. You've not discussed with your " beloved" boss. You have read his/her mind and made up yours. Not good.

Start the journal. Also watch your health. Stress can do bad stuff to you.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:45 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,943,946 times
Those kinds of folk are all over the planet ,you can't avoid it.
I am generally a very out going friendly person but.
I have been isolated in work break areas by other nationalities of every flavor ,they simply get in their own group and you are excluded from the conversation via their language.
I quit worrying about it after a while .
It's like this,
People choose to be rude because they are manipulating the situation to make you uncomfortable, legally.
I have heard this discussion over and over by others as well , dealing with the same things.
There are books about harassment you can get for the office .
Buy one and read it there on your break times.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,315,423 times
Quote:
Like I've said I've tried to be nice and laugh at their jokes...because when I've said something they don't like they have treated me really bad. It's like they can say whatever they want but you can't and of course don't dare say somethig they don't like, you'll pay for it.

DO NOT laugh at them..this will indicate that you are in agreement with them even if you are black. The best thing to do is block out the ignorance, but at the same time, document words, times, etc.

While people like this will never change, they have no right to subject you to a hostile and racist work environment. It doesn't matter whether this is a firm of 6 or 600 people. It is a workplace and is bound to follow the law. While you are not the direct recipient of these miserable morons, in essence, you are. When they refer to blacks as "chimps", then it IS and should offend you. it offends me. But ultimately, it is the problem of the person(s) spewing this garbage.

NO ONE should have to work in an environment like this. Granted, they have the right to be the way they are, but NOT subject you to it. Ultimately, your only viable solution is to find other employment. If that's not an option, please refer to the link below and decide what you will need to do. Good luck.

Race/Color Discrimination

Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM

54 posts, read 135,267 times
Thanks again to all of you. My biggest fear is that I won't find another job like this. I'm new, I have a lot to learn and of course in this time things are tough.

I didn't talk to my boss just because the results will be bad for me, I don't have to imagine it, assume it or making it up because If he says something to them things will get worse, If he doesn't do anything things will be the same. Even If he pays attention how they act in front of them, he won't see anything because they have learnt how to talk in front of the boss and behind the boss because the two face thing works with him too. He loves them but they love to call him "crazy", "weird" and the rest of the names in the dictionary.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY will say we have a great work enviroment, we get along perfectly well, everybody is very nice and cozy...but the deepness shows other thing and it is the way they run this office.

I'm very stuck and with the fakeness and gossip I can deal. I will write a journal but I am not sure what to do with it because it is my word against their in case I point the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships