Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:58 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times

Advertisements

its very rare id send something back or complain. for me, complaining ruins the flow of the dinner experience which is worse than me eating food that is less than perfect.

im also not going to confront my dad. he would immediately restate his position even more emphatically and then pretend as if im the person's representative and start arguing with me. ive learned my lesson on arguing with the old man, its not worth it.

i appreciate the anecdotes, i find them interesting. its funny how people become such perfectionists when it comes to their expectations in restaurants. i wish my dad would be a waiter for a month and see how hot the food is he serves or how he responds to people like him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Unless decaf is specified the order is for regular coffee.

True, but that doesn't excuse being an ahole about it.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,016,935 times
Lol this is probably why I just order for my mom OP. But she's partially deaf and refuses to wear a hearing aide, so it's just easier than my mom having to say "huh, what? huh?" over and over!

Reminds me of my hubby, he is so AFRAID of saying ANYTHING about his food to servers, it boggles my mind. He used to be even too shy to say things like "can I have some ranch on the side?" I finally stopped asking for him because I told him to put on his big boy pants and just ask! I told him I promised the server wouldn't go ballistic on him.

One time we went to a restaurant, I ordered my meal and got a cup of clam chowder. For my meal, I asked for the veggies for my side.

When the waitress came with the soup, it was the vegetable soup. I told her "oh I asked for the clam chowder" and she replied with "but you said you wanted vegetable" and I said "I meant with my entree" and she was like oh sorry about that, be right back.

My husband looked at me and said "I can't believe you did that?" And I replied "did what?" He said "ask for the other soup" and I was like "are you serious? You act like I threw the soup in her face!" lol.

From one extreme to the next lol.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,245,746 times
All I know is that pi$$ing off the people who serve you food is generally a stupid idea. Whether it's justified or not.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:11 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,275,620 times
I worked with a lady who was legendary in restaurants. Half the time she would send a meal back, delaying her friends who were on a tight schedule. It got to the point where a couple of establishments did not welcome her patronage anymore. She was overall a general pain in the butt and an unhappy woman overall.

I usually am not picky however is something is really wrong with the meal, I will politely call the waiter/waitress over and ask if it could be corrected. My daughter ordered a steak at one place and it was overcooked to the point of shoe leather. They gave her a new one and a free dessert. It was pretty bad. If a meal comes and it is cold, I will ask them if they can zap it in the microwave. I'm always polite though.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
All I know is that pi$$ing off the people who serve you food is generally a stupid idea. Whether it's justified or not.
Wish people would remember that in the ER.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,934,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wish people would remember that in the ER.
Ha ha. I wonder what the death rate is for aholes in the ER?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:09 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,070,052 times
I know a number of chefs and restaurant owners. Most are happy to take back an incorrectly cooked meal and make it right. Its better you be satisfied than eat a bad meal and complain about it to all your friends.

Most restaurant waitstaff can spot a pain in the butt theminute they are seated. My nephew worked at a catering hall when he was in high school. Guest at a wedding was one of those pretentious diners. He complained that his string beans werent cooked properly. My nephew took it back, threw out the beans and gave him another helping of them from the same huge cauldren the beans are cooked in. Brought it back and the guest snarkily commented that this was correct. Same batch of beans that he was originally served.

One other time I was dining in a very nice restaurant with my girlfriend. I ordered a steak, she ordered fish. The meal was served and i noticed i got a different cut of steak than i ordered. Waitress comes over and starts apologizing. Seems another couple ordered steak and fish too. They had switched the orders by mistake and wanted to take our meal back and correct it. We said it was fine...which it was, the food was delicious. Seems the other couple did the same thing. The restaurant comped dessert and gave us a $25 gift certificate for our next visit. Just be nice to restaurant staff and, of they are professionals, they will always try to make you dining experience pleasant.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
I'm a picky eater with special requests most places I go. It has a lot to do with having Asperger's and also a desire to eat healthy food. In large groups I tell the waiter to come to me last so other people don't have to wait while I order. I ask them to repeat my order back to me just to make sure they got it. I'm not rude about it, I just like what I like. If they get it right and the service is good, the tip is generous. I don't get a thrill out of tormenting waitstaff, and I don't think I really torment them with a picky order. I'm sure they see it all day long.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 AM

11,142 posts, read 9,779,558 times
I do think that people get crankier as they get older. My M-I-L has another weird restaurant thing she does. She loves to eat out, but when we do she just orders the same things, even if they aren't on the menu! The three things she will eat are: a plain, dry burger, a plain, dry chicken sandwich, or a chicken salad sandwich. Not realizing this, initially we took her to various restaurants, Mexican, Chinese, etc. She looks at the menu forever and then asks if they can just make her one of those items. We know in the past she would eat a varied diet, but lately she doesn't want to eat anything else. Sometimes she'll order a salad with chicken on it, just eat the chicken strips and leave all the salad on the plate. Or she'll eat 3 bites and say she's full. The wait staff always ask her if there was something wrong with it, and offer to get her something else, but she just says no. It's frustrating, but at least she is polite to the staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships