Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,643,476 times

Advertisements

Yes. Just because someone is of the opposite sex does not mean you fancy them sexually. I tend to find men make better friends for me generally speaking, maybe because I am not a girly girl and prefer the company of men.

I am perfectly able to have a deep and meaningful friendship with a man without wanting to rip his clothes off with my bare teeth....

Thank Goodness for that. Imagine going through life wanting to hump everyone who was from the other sex ?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 05:55 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,721,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
i'm 'JUST FRIENDS' with lots of girls. then again i'm not straight, so maybe it's different.
Correct sir! Gay dudes make the best guy friends.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,932,513 times
If it is VERY clear to both that there is no possibility of a sexual relationship, yes. For example, if at least one is happily married and has no interest in other sexual relationships.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
People can be business partners and friends w/ the opposite sex.

The key to being friends only is . . . there can be no sexual tension at all in the relationship. None. You have to feel like brother and sister.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 AM

11,811 posts, read 12,053,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I have given up on them. I prefer the company of guys but it always eventually gets to that point that makes you uncomfortable and having to drop them as a friend.
Uncomfortable how? Because of attraction developing? Because they get into a relationship with someone else?

Old 12-09-2011, 07:51 AM

845 posts, read 1,350,682 times
I have quite a few friends that are girls. Come to think of it, I think I know more gals than I do guys. What does that say about me?

Quote:
Uncomfortable how? Because of attraction developing? Because they get into a relationship with someone else?
I can't say for sure, but once you get to that point of being attracted to that person (guy or girl), but later it doesn't turn out to be you, then yes it can get awkward or uncomfortable.

As an example; I worked with a few friends from school. I was really attracted to this girl for pretty much my entire school year and then some. We never hooked up. Later, I found out she was dating a good friend of mine. Was I heart-broken? Oh yes, but our friendship established much better than any other friendship I've had. She's now married to the friend with two kids, I think. We still chat every so often, but not as much as before.

I wish I can say I've learned my lesson on being attracted to the first girl I see. However, for some stupid reason, it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by mitopcat; 12-09-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
A woman can be just truly friends with a guy and a guy can be pretend friends with a woman...given an opening(no pun intended)a guy will be all over their friend/woman like white on rice!!!Guys don't want us as friends...the have friends they can do all sorts of non-sexual stuff with called guys!!!
Exactly! The only way that works is if the women is not attractive, then yes men and women can be just friends. But if both people are attacted to each other, then one of the people is going to develop feelings for the other or there will be sexual tension. I guarantee that if a man has a attractive female friend, he has at some point thought about sleeping with her.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,767,621 times
Hmmm...very interesting; in the past, I might be inclined to say that I was very skeptical that age-similar men and women could be "just friends"

However, I would wager that once a guy actually has a g/f, and is no longer "looking for love", so to speak, that it can in fact become a lot easier to look at a gal as "just friends", as well as 100% platonically

Old 12-09-2011, 08:16 AM

733 posts, read 1,664,906 times
Yes and no.

Case in point: My friend and I have been good friends for 4 years. For the longest time, we would chat with each other online for 2-3 hours a day, and had a blast doing so. He completed me on so many levels. I thought I sensed a connection that is beyond that of friendship, so I started to develop feelings. Long story short, he did not see me that way but was a little wishywashy over it, so I was never too sure. The strangest thing is, even though my feelings were not reciprocated, because we talked a lot and he made me extremely happy as a friend, it didn't hurt that much. O.O Looking back, I was disappointed for sure because I thought we belong together, but I don't remember ever crying over him, or suffer, at all.

After a while, my feelings died down, and we both started to date other people.

We are still friends, and text each other a lot, and I haven't seen him as anything more than a friend for about 2 years now. I can honestly say that we are platonic friends.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,557,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Exactly! The only way that works is if the women is not attractive, then yes men and women can be just friends. But if both people are attacted to each other, then one of the people is going to develop feelings for the other or there will be sexual tension. I guarantee that if a man has a attractive female friend, he has at some point thought about sleeping with her.
But this is irrelevant: fantasies are fantasies. That shouldn't interfere with adult relationships. Unless said man desperately needs to act on all his thoughts and impulses, like a child, the friendship is not necessarily in danger.

I have no need to know everything that goes on in my friends' minds. That's private and none of my business unless they want to share it with me. And we all know that there's something called "too much information".

Feelings of attraction wane, people you fantasize with vary. If you (impersonal "you", not you-you lol) cherish someone else's companionship and the value he/she adds to your life as a friend, those fleeting thoughts won't matter much. And if you don't, they're better off without you as a friend anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships