Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:19 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,201,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Because none of this discussion is 'in-person.' Not so interesting afterall.
What do you mean it wasn't "in person"? The OP said the employee was standing at the counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,243,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What do you mean it wasn't "in person"? The OP said the employee was standing at the counter.
Sorry, this discussion here in this thread is NOT in person, therefore she is a bit bolder in asking the question verses saying "hello?" in person. There is a lot some people can't do until they are in the guise of anonymity or remain unidentifiable. People have been known to be scared silly about things like this.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,682,550 times
I would have said something if he wasn't off the phone within a minute.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 PM

367 posts, read 699,503 times
I would of said hello is anyone working. Made a noise done something to attract his attention. Management not returning your phone call says a lot about the place as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM

6,741 posts, read 5,986,302 times
Go back, get the name or at least a picture of that employee. Go to the corporate website and click on "contact us" and look for complaints or feedback, and tell them exactly what happened. Mention that your phone call to the manager was ignored as well.

At the very least, you should get an apology. As someone else pointed out, you may also get a couple of coupons. If you do, bring the coupon to the store on this idiot's shift and after he fills your order, mention why you got this nice coupon.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,689,408 times
That's when you lean over the counter and start grabbing the drink cups . . . :-) When he looks at you in alarm, you can say, "Oh, since you were ignoring me, I thought you guys had changed to 'help yourself'. OK, never mind, I'd like an Egg McMuffin, hash browns and a coffee, please."

Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 AM

113 posts, read 152,621 times
Sounds to me like you were lucky. Stop eating that crap.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 AM

152 posts, read 217,787 times
It's impossible to know if he was being "sexist" ... or if it's simply just a difference of opinion. Your opinion of how long "waiting forever" is ... -vs- his opinion of "patiently waiting" for someone to finish an important phone call?

You mentioned that he looked up at you? He may have simply misinterpreted your facial expression as; "You're fine, go ahead and finish your call." If you smiled, nodded, raised your eyebrows, etc. There's a strange kind of a non verbal communication we all use nowadays when interrupting someone on a phone call. It's awkward, and can easily be misunderstood.

Heck, for all we know, he may have started a thread on the forums here ... about the very impatient American lady that was so rude and racist to him last week. She stormed out of the restaurant because he was on a quick, important call, speaking in his foreign tongue. He's certain that she's racist, because it was just a quick call, and she had originally acknowledged him .... before she realized he was speaking in a different language.

It's all about how you both interpreted the situation, and both of your individual accounts could be completely different. Your interpretation is that he may be sexist and he ended the phone call just because a man walked in. Isn't it possibly that the phone conversation simply ended as you walked out, and a man walked in? Or perhaps your 'walking out' made him realize he'd kept you waiting too long?

Of course, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, and the real answer is ... he shouldn't be talking on his phone in the front of the restaurant. Period.

Although, it would probably be a good exercise for both of you ... if you went back in and politely confronted him about it. Don't make it a big deal. Just casually ask him if he realized you left the other day because he didn't acknowledge you quick enough.

You'll probably find the explanation (or apology) that you're looking for. It will also remind him how important customer service is, and hopefully enlighten him about talking on his phone in the front of the restaurant.

It will also empower you, since it's something that bothered you enough to start a thread about it several days after the fact.

Who knows, you may even get a free cup of coffee out of it. ;-)

Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 AM

15,715 posts, read 9,575,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Hi! I'm not sure which category to put this under, so I chose this one. Last Friday morning, I entered a well-known fast food restaurant. The only employee working at that time was on his cell phone. He looked at me yet continued talking. I stood there forever and he just kept on talking. So I left.
Yet, as I was getting into my car, I noticed another [male] customer walk in, and the employee quickly got off the phone and served him!!

I never, ever yell sexism, but wow! To me, it seems like that's what this was. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your comments
Hopefully he realized he just lost one customer -- who he thought might call his manager -- and he didn't want to lose another. Who knows though? Similiar things happen to me and I'm a dude. The employee can be either gender, any nationality, it seems. Sometimes they will be in the back talking nad laughing. I have a 20 second rule. If it's obvious you have better things to do than serve me in 20 seconds, I leave to spend my money elsewhere.

I might can be a bit passive/agressive. one time I walked into a fast food place and the employee walked up to the register. I was expecting a "Hello, how are you?" or at least a "Is this dine in or carry out?" But instead all I got was tired eyes and a long face. She didn't say anything. I didn't say anything. She looked at me. I looked at her. Then I said, "See, I'm the customer. I pay you. Therefore, you should at least try to make me feel welcome." She just looked at me again. I turned around and walked out.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:54 AM

15,715 posts, read 9,575,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couldabeenacontender View Post
It's impossible to know if he was being "sexist" ... or if it's simply just a difference of opinion. Your opinion of how long "waiting forever" is ... -vs- his opinion of "patiently waiting" for someone to finish an important phone call?
He's on the clock to serve the sustomer. There is no phone call important enough to trump that. Or, at the very least, if there was, it better be important enough that he has to leave right away to tend to a family emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships