Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM

100 posts, read 136,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
He appeared to be in his late thirties, and I did try to take note of his tone of voice and body language to see if it may have been an emergency. He was speaking in his native language (?) I think he was Persian or, hmm, I'm not sure, not good with telling a person's race. But he seemed so...casual, ya know? Like he was talking to a friend. I'm not sure, though.
It's well known that in some cultures men dominate the women and see them as possessions. I don't think your instincts are wrong in this matter.

Since it was early in the morning and it was just the 2 of you...he probably felt no inclination to respond to you. Had there been other people in there, he might have been more motivated to give you proper respect as it may have angered the others. But since it was just you? He probably didn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM

588 posts, read 959,542 times
True, so true!! My friend said the same thing. He probably felt he was above me.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Maybe the little brat realized he'd better get off his phone.
Lol!! Mmhmm, probably did!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,842,705 times
I think it was likely just a case of someone making $7 / hour and not caring about their job, along with a personality devoid of responsibility, pride, and manners. I wouldn't take it personally or read into it being anythng more than it is.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:40 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oouie433 View Post
It's well known that in some cultures men dominate the women and see them as possessions. I don't think your instincts are wrong in this matter.

Since it was early in the morning and it was just the 2 of you...he probably felt no inclination to respond to you. Had there been other people in there, he might have been more motivated to give you proper respect as it may have angered the others. But since it was just you? He probably didn't care.
You are probably right. Unfortunately many of our local gas stations (in NJ) were staffed by such fellows. Unfortunately, you couldn't pump your own gas so you were stuck until the person got off their cell phone. Until then, I would be completely ignored. Then they would be surly and rude. It wasn't an isolated incident and I started going to the bigger ones like Wawa which had more pumps and more attendants.

If it was a chain, I would write their corportate headquarters. I had a bad incident in a Moderator cut: snip quite a few years ago, wrote the HQs and got the local business in trouble. What was said to me there so over the line and I usually don't get that mad. I was personally contacted by the owner to make things right. It was pretty darned awesome actually!!

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Please don't identify the business name

Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 PM

26,282 posts, read 49,209,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
Hi! I'm not sure which category to put this under, so I chose this one. Last Friday morning, I entered a well-known fast food restaurant. The only employee working at that time was on his cell phone. He looked at me yet continued talking. I stood there forever and he just kept on talking. So I left.
Yet, as I was getting into my car, I noticed another [male] customer walk in, and the employee quickly got off the phone and served him!!

I never, ever yell sexism, but wow! To me, it seems like that's what this was. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your comments
Could be sexism, could be racism, not sure all the particulars in this matter. Could be he's just a dumbass.

Used to be when I walked into my local Moderator cut: snip that I became invisible, so I switched to going through the drive-in where I actually get waited on in person. These experiences were 20 years ago.

Last week, I walked into my local Moderator cut: snip and there was a line of 6 people, and one chap on the register. The ninny who was Manager that night turned towards the back of the restaurant and shrieked for more help up front. Her voiced was so loud it hurt my ears. I muttered "f***ing amateurs" walked out and went through the drive through.

Fast food joints are so competitive, and work on such a low margin, that they cut their labor to the bone to save every possible dollar. This results in a minimum number of counter personnel, thus the problem last week; but they pay real attention to the drive through customers and get them served quickly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 01-15-2014 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Please don't identify the business name

Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Yes, I am black and female. Racism crossed my mind, but quickly I dismissed it. I don't know why, maybe because of his race, but I lean heavily toward sexism because I think his culture views me as beneath males. That may be reverse sexism or something, but yes, I do think that way. Not proud of it, though. He could've just not been ready to get to work so quickly that early in the morning.
Worse, I had a smile on my face when I first walked in (yep, I'm an annoying morning person) so he was probably like Oh great! A perky customer. I'll change that! LOL!!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,443,633 times
I interrupt people and ask "What time do you open?" no matter the time of day. I'm not going to live forever, and being a New Yorker, I learned to be rude at a young age.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I interrupt people and ask "What time do you open?" no matter the time of day. I'm not going to live forever, and being a New Yorker, I learned to be rude at a young age.
I don't consider that rude at all! You're just being what I strive to be . . . assertive

Old 01-15-2014, 01:25 PM

I heard from the district manager today, and she was so upset, saying the manager, yes, MANAGER, was one of her better ones...she's so shocked...was on her way to the store to find out what happened...blah blah blah.
Actually, she was really nice, and I just said that I was concerned and wanted to call attention to the matter so it wouldn't happen to anyone else, blah blah blah.
She said the next time I go in there it will be free. I may not go to that location again, though. Hmm. Well, at least he would make my sandwich right in front of me, so I could see if he spat on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships