Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,686 times

Advertisements

I can't seem to help myself but when something bothers, annoys, or confuses me, I talk about it.

If someone annoys me or I feel something this unfair, I try to find a sympathetic ear.

And I do this at work.

I know I shouldn't, but when I need to talk, I REALLY need to talk about whatever it is I'm going through. It's almost like I can't move on with my life until I work out whatever issue I'm going through.

Also, I'm not young, I'm close to 50 so you would think I know better how to deal with stuff.

Any advice on how to shut my mouth and not let things bother me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,313,066 times
Professional counseling?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Maybe you need to understand what is in your circle of influence, or what exactly you have control over and what you do NOT have control over.

What is the point of endlessly complaining about something you can't really do anything about?

You also need to consider using self-control to FILTER your comments. Just because you have a thought does not mean you need to express it.

It's good that you recognize this because it is a serious problem that could cost you your job. You also don't want to be "that woman" people begin to avoid because she won't shut up.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,707 times
Some things to tell yourself when you feel compelled to share/talk too much:

"Not everything is about me."

"People don't always need to know what I think."

"It is possible to have unexpressed thoughts."

Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,913 times
There's nothing wrong with "talking things out" when you have a problem. What would be best is to have a small group of designated people to be your "sympathetic ears," people who are trustworthy and genuine towards you. It sounds like you're talking to just about anyone who will listen, which could be a disaster. I totally understand your need to talk at work because I've been through a lot of drama and stupidity at my workplace in a few short years.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Eat a habanero pepper - then you'll have to deal with the problem at hand yourself.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I can't seem to help myself but when something bothers, annoys, or confuses me, I talk about it.

If someone annoys me or I feel something this unfair, I try to find a sympathetic ear.

And I do this at work.

I know I shouldn't, but when I need to talk, I REALLY need to talk about whatever it is I'm going through. It's almost like I can't move on with my life until I work out whatever issue I'm going through.

Also, I'm not young, I'm close to 50 so you would think I know better how to deal with stuff.

Any advice on how to shut my mouth and not let things bother me?

Instead of talking to anyone about anything especially at work do something else when you feel the need to talk. Especially when it is a complaint about someone you work with.
I used to go to the river and throw rocks when I had a tough day at work but I've never been one to have the need to talk to anyone unless it was my Mother.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Some things to tell yourself when you feel compelled to share/talk too much:

"Not everything is about me."

"People don't always need to know what I think."

"It is possible to have unexpressed thoughts."

I liked this. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Instead of talking to anyone about anything especially at work do something else when you feel the need to talk. Especially when it is a complaint about someone you work with.
I used to go to the river and throw rocks when I had a tough day at work but I've never been one to have the need to talk to anyone unless it was my Mother.

Good idea. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:01 AM

604 posts, read 856,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Maybe you need to understand what is in your circle of influence, or what exactly you have control over and what you do NOT have control over.

What is the point of endlessly complaining about something you can't really do anything about?

You also need to consider using self-control to FILTER your comments. Just because you have a thought does not mean you need to express it.

It's good that you recognize this because it is a serious problem that could cost you your job. You also don't want to be "that woman" people begin to avoid because she won't shut up.
This is absolutely true, especially the bolded part. If you get a reputation as being a gossip or a pot-stirrer it will hurt your chances for advancement at work. I worked with a friend who is like this and found out the hard way never to tell her anything I didn't want the whole world to know. She is still a friend and a valuable person in my life, but I still don't tell her anything in confidence even though I've moved on from that job. At conferences I run into people who know her and frequently one of their first comments is "Man, she's smart but *such* a gossip!" It has hurt her professionally.

Also, you'll drive yourself crazy agonizing over things. Something you obsessed over for hours, I can almost guarantee the other person won't even remember the interaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships