Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times

Advertisements

So this past summer people were stopping at my grandpa's house offering him cash for his '65 Mustang, and they turned down every offer saying it was going to either one of the kids, or the grand-kids. My sister who brought this up (her and my grand parents were discussing this) said that she couldn't think of any one that would really want it, to which I responded that I would gladly take it off his hands. But here's my problem how do you approach your grand parent's about something like this, I have a hard enough time with regular conversation, so how do you approach something like this with out stepping on any toes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
"Grandpa this Mustang is such a great car! If you ever decide to sell it I hope you will call me first and let me have first crack at it because I just love it!" Accomplishes 3 things. First, shows grandpa that you love and are interested in the car, so if he does want to leave it to someone, it might be you. Second, you don't look like a greedy vulture waiting for grandpa to die. Third, if grandpa does need the money, he will sell to you rather than a stranger.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Do any of his kids want the vehicle? Have you asked them? What about the other grandkids? Have you asked them?

Look, it's his car. Sounds like he knows it's a sweet thing. He may think (rightly or wrongly) that he will be "the bad guy" if he sells it to one of you when more than one person in the mix wants it. Also, he may be like some people I know (our family, for instance) - he may think that it's best not to "skip generations" with family heirlooms and may have chosen a particular child of his to leave it to. He's probably already addressed it in his will and balanced things out - that would be my first hunch. If he sells it to you, it throws the whole will out of balance again.

I have certain heirloom items that I've designated to my different children in my will. Therefore I would not sell one of those items to a different child because then I'd have to go back in and try to "even things out" again - when I've already got my will like I want it.

All that being said, you could ask your parents and aunts and uncles (his kids) and the other grandkids if they want that car. If truly no one else wants it, then THEY can approach the grandfather and tell him that - then maybe he'll be more open to selling it to you.

Meanwhile, I like the advice above - just tell your Grandpa that you love the car and if he ever wants to sell it, let you know before he sells it to a stranger. That's really all I think you can do in good taste.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
"Grandpa this Mustang is such a great car! If you ever decide to sell it I hope you will call me first and let me have first crack at it because I just love it!" Accomplishes 3 things. First, shows grandpa that you love and are interested in the car, so if he does want to leave it to someone, it might be you. Second, you don't look like a greedy vulture waiting for grandpa to die. Third, if grandpa does need the money, he will sell to you rather than a stranger.
That is some solid advice right there.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That is some solid advice right there.
I agree that is good advice. Speak up and let grandpa know your interest. Also, let grandma know if she is still alive or his children.

When a close friend, who was childless, passed away a few years ago his godson would have loved to buy his truck (as they had many good times together involving trips/activities involving the truck). However, he didn't want to approach the widow too soon after the death. Apparently, the widow didn't think that he (or anyone else) wanted the truck and she sold it really cheaply (almost gave it away, just to get rid of it) to a friend of a neighbor. This was someone she didn't know and didn't know her husband. The godson would have really, really appreciated the truck and was willing to pay well for the truck but the widow must not of known that at the time. He didn't know that she was selling it until after it was gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships