Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 AM

799 posts, read 1,550,249 times

Advertisements

I moved cross country recently and have been selling a variety of household items on CL. Some of them are very large and heavy.

In my ad, I explicitly indicate if I can deliver the item and what the fee would be. Most ads say "no delivery" so I figured this would help sell my stuff. I can only deliver in a limited area and I can only deliver certain items due to the size of my car and my work schedule.

I have had a number of people who want me to deliver large items (indicated in the ad as no delivery) to points 15-30 miles from where I live so that they can "take a look" and see if they want them. I have politely said that I cannot accommodate, but if they want to check out what I am selling, they are more than welcome to make an appointment to see the item at my place. Several of the potential customers have been downright huffy that I wouldn't cart a big item to their location so that they can play looky loo.

In my past experience, its been pretty easy to sell on CL. I put up an ad with lots of pics, someone says they want the item, they pick it up and give me cash. There is none of this "let me examine it and see if I want to give you $60." They just come and get it. And I have never gotten such entitled requests for delivery.

Am I missing something? Have the rules changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
I wouldn't say that the rules have changed; it's just that some people want, and want, and want....and they'll keep pestering until you hopefully give in.

Stay firm with your boundaries!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
Nope...I think some people use Craigslist as a way of getting attention. Don't consider their ridiculous demands for an instant.

Maybe since you moved, you are pricing things too high for your new neighborhood. If you lower your prices, maybe you'll get more legit buyers.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 AM

7,109 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I moved cross country recently and have been selling a variety of household items on CL. Some of them are very large and heavy.

In my ad, I explicitly indicate if I can deliver the item and what the fee would be. Most ads say "no delivery" so I figured this would help sell my stuff. I can only deliver in a limited area and I can only deliver certain items due to the size of my car and my work schedule.

I have had a number of people who want me to deliver large items (indicated in the ad as no delivery) to points 15-30 miles from where I live so that they can "take a look" and see if they want them. I have politely said that I cannot accommodate, but if they want to check out what I am selling, they are more than welcome to make an appointment to see the item at my place. Several of the potential customers have been downright huffy that I wouldn't cart a big item to their location so that they can play looky loo.

In my past experience, its been pretty easy to sell on CL. I put up an ad with lots of pics, someone says they want the item, they pick it up and give me cash. There is none of this "let me examine it and see if I want to give you $60." They just come and get it. And I have never gotten such entitled requests for delivery.

Am I missing something? Have the rules changed?
Change your ad. No delivery....here are pictures of the stuff. If they want to look, they can make an appointment, come and look.

Do what you've done in the past that worked.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Nope...I think some people use Craigslist as a way of getting attention. Don't consider their ridiculous demands for an instant.

Maybe since you moved, you are pricing things too high for your new neighborhood. If you lower your prices, maybe you'll get more legit buyers.

I am in Manhattan. Believe me, I have in no way priced myself out of this market

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
No delivery. You are setting them up to a sense of entitlement by offering it. Ignore those that make weird and/or outrageous requests. I list for sale, a price and if they want to come look they are free.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Don't lower your prices but do change the ad to no delivery and after they purchase the item if they ask about delivery, decide then if the area falls within you accepted delivery area. Personally I would not charge for delivery, put it into the cost of the item.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Delivery? I would never do that.

And yes, some people are just wanting the attention. I've been trying to sell a large piece and I had one lady call me 4 times in one day asking questions about it - a 15 minute conversation each time.

She was clearly old and lonely. She didn't buy the piece. She never even came to see it.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:11 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Take good pictures of the item and don't mention delivery in your ad. Offering to deliver sounds like you have a lot of free time and that's why people want you to bring the items so they can look at them.

I usually only communicate with Craigslist buyers by text message. I have unlimited texts and it's better than getting stuck on the phone for 10 to 20 minutes.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 AM

My ads are not linked. Not all of them say I will deliver.

Kitchen chairs? Sure. A huge oriental rug? No way. The ad states "I cannot deliver this item." Yet, the last person I talked to about the rug wanted me to truck it on over to Jersey and meet her in a parking lot so that I could unroll it for her scrutiny before she decided whether to purchase. And many of you may know that the East Coast weather has recently been less than balmy.

It still boggles my mind. Like I say, I have only once had an experience where someone came to purchase an item and decided they didn't want it. In every other case, I have just had the buyer show with the cash, no additional questions asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships