Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM

185 posts, read 241,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's not just women. A lot of guys are speaking like this too. Too much feminization in the media and schools, reality TV, young boys being raised on Nickelodeon and Disney, and the watering down of gender roles. More and more women are also acting like alpha males, particularly in movies, television and commercials.

BBC News - More men speaking in girls' 'dialect', study shows

Hmmm, you sound like an Alex Jones fan.

On Topic:

I think a lot of this is a result of regional dialects slowly diminishing all together and molding into one base American accent, the accent we hear most in pop culture which includes the vocal fry/valley girl thing. That's probably one of the most heard accents in the country and a lot of socialites who are idolized by these girls/women speak this way so they're just imitating their heroes and probably also just genuinely influenced by the saturation of it in pop media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
It seems that regional accents are disappearing, and this accent; which can be heard on any college campus in America (I'll change that to many) is taking over.

If you watch "HGTV Property Virgins", often the female half of the couple will sport a variant of this accent.

Take a tour of a college. You're guide will most likely have some form of this dialect.

I particularly hear it among middle to upper middle class people in their teens through 30s. Lower class people of the same age group are more likely to speak with a regional accent.

Upper class girls speak the same as they ever did.

See "The Preppy Handbook".

Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
Hmmm, you sound like an Alex Jones fan.

On Topic:

I think a lot of this is a result of regional dialects slowly diminishing all together and molding into one base American accent, the accent we hear most in pop culture which includes the vocal fry/valley girl thing. That's probably one of the most heard accents in the country and a lot of socialites who are idolized by these girls/women speak this way so they're just imitating their heroes and probably also just genuinely influenced by the saturation of it in pop media.
You basically said what I was saying...pop culture = Disney/Nickelodeon/reality TV etc has a big influence on the dialect and inflection of our youth. Not sure where you pull conspiracy theorists out of your ass.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:10 AM

185 posts, read 241,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
You basically said what I was saying...pop culture = Disney/Nickelodeon/reality TV etc has a big influence on the dialect and inflection of our youth. Not sure where you pull conspiracy theorists out of your ass.
It was the "feminization" thing, like we're all intentionally being "turned" gay for some kind of agenda. Sorry, maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to imply.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
Default Valley Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
Time marches on. The teenyboppers of the 1980s, who invented Valspeak, are now middle aged.
Eeeeeewwww....That thought is just grody to the max! LOL...How's that for valley girl speak from the '80's?

Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I was just thinking about this thread-I was in the bathroom here at work and two girls were talking. One of them had a BAD case of valley girl going on. It makes me want to throw up.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:27 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
How do people who uptalk even hang on to a job? No one would take them seriously in the professional world.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
"OMG" or "Oh My GAWD" in various different forms
The word "like" inserted between almost every other word..
Using the word "soooo" to add emphasis to something

"So, I was like OMG!! like I am soooo not ready for work today and he was like, you soooo have to try
and come in today, we are sooo shorthanded and I was like Oh My GAAWD, I am like soooo not feeling good today that I have to like call in sick"

"Omigod! That dress is sooooo you!!"

Yeah, UGH! I live near a college area and I often hear older women talking in variations like this also.
I guess the difference came when I travelled abroad for business recently and witnessed people actually expressing themselves well and these were not even native English speakers.
Speech patterns spread in part because TV allows them to transcend geographical barriers instantly. Older people may adopt young people's speech in part to feel younger, but also due to media influence. But many don't. It's more of an individual thing beyond a certain age.

Any other questions?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:51 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
We get a fairly large number of American college students as tourists where I live in southern Portugal. I have been told that most of them are students attending colleges in Spain. The accent characteristics being discussed in this thread seem quite common to the females. I used to think that these women came from SoCal, but maybe not.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's called "upspeak." The technical term seems to be "high rising terminal." High rising terminal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is Upspeak? - YouTube

Or you may be hearing "vocal fry." Vocal fry register - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Vocal Fry Epidemic - YouTube

There's a woman I only know through talking to her on the phone? It's a business thing? And she ends every sentence? Sometimes every clause? Or phrase? As if she's asking a question? DRIVES ME NUTS. PERIOD. FULL STOP.
This drives me nuts too! Where did this come from? The only men I've ever heard do it were gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships