Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 08:14 AM

890 posts, read 1,655,984 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 20s and I relocated for work a few years ago. I'm a half days drive from most of my family. I do have a few health issues, one mildly serious since birth, but I can handle it. I was involved in an accident at work and I have been out for a week. The doctors are concerned about some possible after effects. My mom on the other hand, has been pressuring me to move home since my surgery last year. I love it here, although I'm broke living paycheck to paycheck due to student loans. I'm very annoyed with my mom and I don't know how to handle it. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM

35,282 posts, read 31,645,453 times
It appears your mom is simply concerned about your health. Do you think your health is going to be deteriorate to the point assistance would be helpful? If you're broke and can find a job at home, I would move back to at least try to square up the bills. Assistance with your health problems would be a bonus.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:27 AM

18,506 posts, read 19,144,358 times
the key for moms is wanting to be in the loop. give her enough information to satisfy her need to know and nurture you with your need to be an adult and run your own life. I would tell mom you love and miss her, being able to see her every day. (she is just being a mom worried that you can't do it all and take care of your health.) I would tell her the minute you feel you can't take care of yourself that you will move home. (true or not doesn't matter at this point, but it will reassure her you know she is there for you and you won't hesitate to let her help in the future if need be) always reassure her that you are taking care of yourself. give her information about what you are doing to insure your health. tell her how happy you are doing what you are doing. all most moms want is to know their kids are happy, healthy. good luck

Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,178,962 times
You're a half day's drive away? Tell Mom you are going do what she taught you to do: become an independent, capable adult. If she absolutely needs to be closer to you and cannot function on her own, you can recommend an apt nearby for her to move into.

In otherwords, make the issue one of her needing you, not the other way around.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,187,728 times
Well you were getting kicked out of your apartment, right? But you werent exactly independent as it was an aunt:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ould-rent.html

And your mom asks you for money

https://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...my-sister.html

And from other posts you have some issues with dating and making adult romantic connections... and some sexuality concerns/questions

All and all it is pretty clear to me that moving back in with family is the opposite direction you should go in

Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,790,106 times
You need to do what you think is right for yourself as an adult, not be in the shadow of you what your Mom wants. Your mom probably really worries about you, but that is normal no matter what age you are. I hope things work out for you and your health gets better. You decide what is best for you and good luck.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It appears your mom is simply concerned about your health. Do you think your health is going to be deteriorate to the point assistance would be helpful? If you're broke and can find a job at home, I would move back to at least try to square up the bills. Assistance with your health problems would be a bonus.
I'm still able to function normally, so I don't think things will go south soon, but I think she's concerned with this because she's been there since day one and can't watch over me. I tell her that I'm fine.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You're a half day's drive away? Tell Mom you are going do what she taught you to do: become an independent, capable adult. If she absolutely needs to be closer to you and cannot function on her own, you can recommend an apt nearby for her to move into.

In otherwords, make the issue one of her needing you, not the other way around.
good thinking, not sure how it'll workout, but great suggestion nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships