Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times

Advertisements

Recently since I have gone into semi retirement I have become more weird and eccentric.

I just don't care to play by their rules anymore!

In the past I worked so hard to try to act mainstream and normal and be like most everyone else. I did not want to say the wrong thing and feared being outspoken or talkative thinking I would lose the respect of people by saying or doing something unusual.

Now I enjoy being kind of different and like to say things to people I meet that challenge them and see what they will say or do. A study in human nature. Not weird like mental case just a bit eccentric.

Would it bother you if people said you were weird or eccentric, or do you try hard to be normal?

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 07-28-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I have always marched to the beat of a different drummer, and everyone I work with and all my friends and family know I'm weird, lol, but it's part of my charm, and most of them find me funny and fun to be around. I would love to be known as eccentric, but I always felt like you had to be rich to be eccentric, which I am not, lol.

I have to say I don't purposely say things to people to try to seem weird or to test people though - to me that sounds like you're just trying on a personality or trying to appear a certain way - be yourself and be happy.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Truly eccentric folks are that way despite what anyone thinks.

So if one is truly eccentric, it isn't even a choice - it is just who they are. Why would they be "afraid" of being who they are?

Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Truly eccentric folks are that way despite what anyone thinks.

So if one is truly eccentric, it isn't even a choice - it is just who they are. Why would they be "afraid" of being who they are?
I respectfully disagree. I am way more eccentric than I appear to anyone who doesn't know me really well. I just don't relay my every eccentric thought, habit, and action to everyone around me. I used to be more forthcoming, and being more honest about my eccentricities just brought me misunderstandings, condescension, and isolation.

It's not that I am not afraid of who I am, I just like to have some semblance of a normal social life and I don't want to be marginalized in my own community.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I respectfully disagree. I am way more eccentric than I appear to anyone who doesn't know me really well. I just don't relay my every eccentric thought, habit, and action to everyone around me. I used to be more forthcoming, and being more honest about my eccentricities just brought me misunderstandings, condescension, and isolation.

It's not that I am not afraid of who I am, I just like to have some semblance of a normal social life and I don't want to be marginalized in my own community.
I like what you say. I am more eccentric with people who can not harm me socially or financially. (Like my fellow City Data Posters, who like to attack me!) I like to say interesting things to strangers just to see how they reply. But I can't be too odd around family or neighbors, students or coworkers because they could take it wrong and isolate me or make my life difficult. But now that I am semi retired less people can harm me than before so I can be eccentric more often and it makes me smile.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
I've gotten to the age where I don't give a rats behind what people think of me.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
I think I'm weird and eccentric, at least compared to my peers. I have never really cared what other people think about me. I never really fit in with the mainstream crowd, gave up trying many years ago. People either like me or they don't.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
I'm too weird to even pretend otherwise.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:00 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
What other people think about me is none of my business, but I am quite normal compared to a lot of people.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Recently since I have gone into semi retirement I have become more weird and eccentric.

I just don't care to play by their rules anymore!

In the past I worked so hard to try to act mainstream and normal and be like most everyone else. I did not want to say the wrong thing and feared being outspoken or talkative thinking I would lose the respect of people by saying or doing something unusual.

Now I enjoy being kind of different and like to say things to people I meet that challenge them and see what they will say or do. A study in human nature. Not weird like mental case just a bit eccentric.

Would it bother you if people said you were weird or eccentric, or do you try hard to be normal?
Define weird or eccentric? As long as you are not hurting yourself or others, or just being an ******* to be one, than go for it.

Believe me...if you were keeping yourself that so far under wraps....most people probably think you are eccentric already. It's just not healthy or normal to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships