Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:32 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were kind of having a memory lane conversations where he was telling me about his suicidal ex-girlfriend and I was telling him about my past relationships. This wasn't the first time of course we shared those stories with each other, but it's interesting to talk about it sometimes.
I was telling him about my first serious relationship when I was 18 year old. I was dating this Syrian Jewish guy who was 7 years older than me, and he treated me beautifully. However, he was obsessed with very shallow things. He wanted me to look always perfect. Every time we would go out, he would make sure my hair is done perfectly, my nails were done perfectly, that I'm dressed in the clothes that he approves. He was so superficial in that matter, it used to drive me crazy.
One time we went to a Disney trip and I woke up in the morning to see him putting an outfit together for me to wear!
My husband is convinced he was gay. I think that he was just very superficial, because he enjoyed sex very much and showed no signs of homosexuality in that way.
That relationship lasted for 10 months. No matter how sweet he was and how nicely he treated me in other ways, I couldn't take his controlling and superficial nature much longer.

Do you guys have any strange stories about your previous or current relationships? Something that was eccentric and strange that still makes you go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
I've dated the stoned hippie, the tortured poet, the tortured musician, the alcoholic, the frat boy, the guy that was obsessed with having a good girl, the depressed guy, the bitter guy......ugh. Pick a card of tragic men, any card, and I can tell you a story.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I've dated the stoned hippie, the tortured poet, the tortured musician, the alcoholic, the frat boy, the guy that was obsessed with having a good girl, the depressed guy, the bitter guy......ugh. Pick a card of tragic men, any card, and I can tell you a story.
Oh boy...you are making me work here. Tortured souls are always the most interesting. Tortured poet?

Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I dated a guy that I swear was straight, but one day he started criticizing how I was applying my makeup (as in "no, you're supposed to go this direction with the foundation" and "you aren't holding the brush correctly"). It somehow turned into a very heated argument. We didn't last much longer after that.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I dated a guy that I swear was straight, but one day he started criticizing how I was applying my makeup (as in "no, you're supposed to go this direction with the foundation" and "you aren't holding the brush correctly"). It somehow turned into a very heated argument. We didn't last much longer after that.
LOL! This is exactly how my ex-boyfriend was. He was telling me what eye-shadows to wear and how to apply my eyeliner.
On the bright side, I do have to say that I learned a thing or 2 from him.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Oh boy...you are making me work here. Tortured souls are always the most interesting. Tortured poet?
Wrote amazing poetry and naturally good in bed(most tragic men are) and beautiful to look at. We would write together, make love, talk deep conversations, spend lots of time locked up together. And then he would freak and start pushing me away. I'd be upset for a couple of weeks and start to move on and as soon as he would see that he'd come back and sweep me off my feet all over again. Repeat cycle. We worked together so we were in eachother's faces all the time. Anyway, I did this to myself for a year. After that I knew the only way to stop was to quit and find another job. So I did.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Wrote amazing poetry and naturally good in bed(most tragic men are) and beautiful to look at. We would write together, make love, talk deep conversations, spend lots of time locked up together. And then he would freak and start pushing me away. I'd be upset for a couple of weeks and start to move on and as soon as he would see that he'd come back and sweep me off my feet all over again. Repeat cycle. We worked together so we were in eachother's faces all the time. Anyway, I did this to myself for a year. After that I knew the only way to stop was to quit and find another job. So I did.
Do you think that he was bipolar?

Good for you for getting away from that situation.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Do you think that he was bipolar?

Good for you for getting away from that situation.
He had a lot of baggage and trust issues and a pretty messed up childhood. I don't think he was bipolar. He also had a lot of women after him at the time that I'm sure he spent time with on our breaks. I was allowing myself to get played I guess.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
He had a lot of baggage and trust issues and a pretty messed up childhood. I don't think he was bipolar. He also had a lot of women after him at the time that I'm sure he spent time with on our breaks. I was allowing myself to get played I guess.
I also think that a lot of very creative amazing artists are crazy and it's hard for them to be monogamous as they are always looking for a new inspiration.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I dated a guy who thought that the coolest thing about me was that I'm black. He was always making black references. And constantly comparing me to white girls and telling me how I was just as pretty as them. Before he would introduce me to people he would say, "Don't worry, I already told them you're black, they're okay with it. You can relax around them, they aren't prejudice." That lasted a whole two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships