Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM

17 posts, read 72,393 times

Advertisements

I'm a big fan of anime. I like all kinds of anime such as Naruto, One Piece, Dragonball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, and etc. People think i'm childish for liking anime. People say that i need to grow up and what not. I love anime and i love drawing it. It is one of my hobbies. I feel like people don't understand anime, or don't care for it. Why people think that anime is childish? Why do people have a problem with other people hobbies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,368,955 times
No...because it has better plots than most electronic entertainment media, and it's more time-efficient than books.

I love Desert Punk (although that's definitely not for children...being mature rated) I also like Blue Gender and Wolf's Rain. I tend to prefer the stuff that's not primarily meant for children, but I also like some things that are intended for Children, like Avatar, and other ones I've forgotten the name of.

They have anime conventions. I've never been to one, but they seem like they might be fun.

Last edited by Clintone; 05-20-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM

8,470 posts, read 7,485,107 times
Have you watched Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Ergo Proxy, Death Note or Monster? Definitely not anime for children.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,699,977 times
Everyone I know that watches Anime is well over 23. I know men and woman in their mid to late 30's who are diehard Anime fans. Go to an anime convention and you will see plenty of people over that age dressing as some of their favorite characters.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,795,926 times
It depends on what ELSE you are doing with your life.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:07 PM

291 posts, read 477,569 times
In Japan, anime is practically a replacement for TV shows and movies. Therefore, anime shows can range from childish to incredibly dark, violent, and profound. Hell, there's even Hentai, which is most definitely not for kids.
Most people don't understand this, so they think anime are like Dora The Explorer, and what would you think of an adult who watches Dora The Explorer?
And there's of course cosplaying.

In conclusion, keep watching and stop caring. Fnck other people.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM

537 posts, read 1,248,838 times
Heck no, I didn't start getting into anime until my boyfriend introduced me to Death Note when I was 20. I have to admit that I once thought the same thing before he introduced me to it, but that's just how people are.

People considered it weird and even childish that I don't drive a car, choose to make less because I want to spend more time on hobbies, and don't want to go to college. But I don't see anyone else living my life or paying my bills.

From my perspective, people are insecure about someone enjoying something that isn't considered normal. It forces them to question what they enjoy, and they wonder if they like their interests because it's fun or because it's what other people like.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM

42,024 posts, read 75,450,694 times
I don't know ... Is 54 too old to be watching Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry?

What a ridiculous question.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,766,982 times
Is watching / drawing Anime ALL you do? If you have other things going on in your life and just enjoy watching occasionally or drawing in spare time...what's the issue? I would tell you to not care what others think, if you are being well-rounded about your hobby. If those things are your main focus and you don't do much else...I can see folks having problems with it. Those same people would probably have a problem with you doing any "hobby" to the exclusion of everything else...

Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,670,447 times
I thought Anime was meant for adults, not children, at least originally. Probably it all just looks like cartoons to people making fun of you. You might as well be obsessed with "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" in their minds. I don't think it's a bad hobby, but I have no interest in it. Some friends and acquaintances like anime and I tried to watch a couple of times but I couldn't get into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships