Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
No, I don't watch every one, but if I'm getting 8 in an hour, imagine how many I have to scroll past each day. It's getting hard to find the stuff I'm actually interested in.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/bu...sociation.html

"About 30,000 Americans have the disease, which attacks nerve cells and ultimately leads to total paralysis, though the mind remains sharp. Life expectancy is typically two to five years from the time of diagnosis."

And you're annoyed it's clogged your news feed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,282,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

"About 30,000 Americans have the disease, which attacks nerve cells and ultimately leads to total paralysis, though the mind remains sharp. Life expectancy is typically two to five years from the time of diagnosis."

Really? THIS is one of the big things annoying me about this whole campaign. If you're not all RAH RAH ALS ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE!! YAY!! then you're an evil person with no heart.

You know nothing about me, what I've been through, what my loved ones have been through. You know nothing about the causes I have worked tirelessly for and raised tens of thousands of dollars for.

So take your damn guilt and shove it.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 PM

11,812 posts, read 12,053,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

I've known about this disease for years and I fear getting it more than any other disease.

For anyone who cares to watch, this is what the ALS challenge means.

This Is How The #IceBucketChallenge Started [VIDEO]

Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 PM

933 posts, read 1,479,524 times
On a different note, I feel kind of horrible for saying this, but there are a lot of diseases as bad, if not worse than ALS, which means we are actually doing a disservice to a greater percentage of people by concentrating our donating effort on one disease.

This year:

About 46,000 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and around 40,000 will die from it.

About 159,000 people will die from lung cancer this year.

About 232,000 people will be diagnosed with breast cancer and about 40,000 people will die from it.

About 97,000 new cases of colon cancer and about 50,000 deaths.

I HAVE watched my grandfather die a slow death from pancreatic death (obviously not as long as ALS, but you get the point), and let me tell you should fear this just as much as ALS. Just looking up four cancers, they all have high incident rates and high deaths. I really do fear that this ice bucket challenge could be deflecting donations from organizations trying to fight these more common, at least in pancreatic cancer's case, close to as deadly, diseases.

What I'm trying to say is, if I, or anyone for that matter, don't want to participate in this matter don't call us "party poopers". I would venture a guess that donations for organizations fighting these more prevalent diseases are down this month.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,854,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What annoys me is the whole idea of ordering me to do something. Fact is, I don't want to dump ice water on my head, and I don't want to contribute $100 to ALS. (Nothing at all against ALS research, but I have already determined the amount and recipients of my charitable giving.) Thus far no one has nominated me, but if they do, I guess I'll just have to be a party pooper and do neither.
Totally agree with you. Most people who are doing it, are just "following the leader" or out for their one time fame for glory. It's so boring to watch these videos especially as they list all their friends.

I did come across a hilarious video on the subject that I think you all will enjoy.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/just-donate-the-money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post

For anyone who cares to watch, this is what the ALS challenge means.

This Is How The #IceBucketChallenge Started [VIDEO]
Thanks for sharing. That's inspirational. The copycats not so much.

Last edited by caligirlz; 08-20-2014 at 01:34 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,475 times
I didn't know about this ice bucket challenge thing until I saw this post. I don't care if people do this or not, but I do wonder how healthy it is pour ice water on your head.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,282,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I didn't know about this ice bucket challenge thing until I saw this post.
How is this possible? Have you not turned on a TV or gotten on the internet for the past 2 weeks?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,936,947 times

Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What is ALS?
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,732,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
On a different note, I feel kind of horrible for saying this, but there are a lot of diseases as bad, if not worse than ALS, which means we are actually doing a disservice to a greater percentage of people by concentrating our donating effort on one disease.

This year:

About 46,000 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and around 40,000 will die from it.

About 159,000 people will die from lung cancer this year.

About 232,000 people will be diagnosed with breast cancer and about 40,000 people will die from it.

About 97,000 new cases of colon cancer and about 50,000 deaths.

I HAVE watched my grandfather die a slow death from pancreatic death (obviously not as long as ALS, but you get the point), and let me tell you should fear this just as much as ALS. Just looking up four cancers, they all have high incident rates and high deaths. I really do fear that this ice bucket challenge could be deflecting donations from organizations trying to fight these more common, at least in pancreatic cancer's case, close to as deadly, diseases.

What I'm trying to say is, if I, or anyone for that matter, don't want to participate in this matter don't call us "party poopers". I would venture a guess that donations for organizations fighting these more prevalent diseases are down this month.
Of course there are lots of terrible diseases out there that affect and kill thousands of people every year. Raising money for ALS may be the "cause of the day," but I doubt if it will have any long-term effect on fundraising for other serious illnesses. Each of those you named has its own marketing and fundraising team.

The only people I would call "party poopers" are those who grumble because the ice bucket challenge is silly or a way for people to post videos of themselves. The silliness hurts no one and seems a low price to pay for the great benefit of funding research and helping families affected by the disease.

If I were going to be grumpy and cynical toward fundraising efforts, it would be based on the plethora of pink breast cancer stuff that you see for sale every October. It seems to me that most of the t-shirts, pins and hats you see people wearing are created to make a profit for the manufacturers. I'm curious about what percentage of the sale of a pink t-shirt with a ribbon on it goes to fight breast cancer. People buy that stuff and think they're "doing" something, but without money going to someone doing research or providing mammograms or something, they're not. I'm a 52-year-old woman and my mother had breast cancer and I've had friends with breast cancer. The threat of BC is very real to me, but I can still see that a lot of the hype around breast-cancer awareness month is just an opportunistic money grab by manufacturers. At least so far, you can't say that about the ice-bucket challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships