Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,498,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's human nature to want to leave a legacy, no matter how small.
I feel one can leave a "legacy" without having one's name plastered on it. In your example, the 100 million dollar wing example you give exists, thanks to someone's generosity. To me that alone is the legacy. It exists now. It serves a function/purpose. In my opinion, a name on it serves no other purpose than to shout "look at what I gave!". I don't feel that's necessary. I understand you and others may feel it's ok to do such a thing. For me it's too much ego showing through, not in the true spirit of what giving is about. Just like an organ donor chooses to donate their organs without a name attached instead of "eyes from Steve!!!" That's tacky in my book. Isn't it enough that perhaps one's cornea might give one the ability to see? Again, another example where the "legacy" is in the organ donated to another human being, not in the name/ego attached.

In any case, I think we can agree to disagree on this one and that we both made our points clearly.....your 100 million donation will have your name on it......and mine won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 AM

51,225 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I feel one can leave a "legacy" without having one's name plastered on it. In your example, the 100 million dollar wing example you give exists, thanks to someone's generosity. To me that alone is the legacy. It exists now. It serves a function/purpose. In my opinion, a name on it serves no other purpose than to shout "look at what I gave!". I don't feel that's necessary. I understand you and others may feel it's ok to do such a thing. For me it's too much ego showing through, not in the true spirit of what giving is about. Just like an organ donor chooses to donate their organs without a name attached instead of "eyes from Steve!!!" That's tacky in my book. Isn't it enough that perhaps one's cornea might give one the ability to see? Again, another example where the "legacy" is in the organ donated to another human being, not in the name/ego attached.

In any case, I think we can agree to disagree on this one and that we both made our points clearly.....your 100 million donation will have your name on it......and mine won't.
So what??? Do you feel the same way about artists signing their work, or authors having their name on their books? It exists, isn't that enough?? What they have in common with those who give 100 mill for a hospital wing is that they have all contributed something worthwhile to the world, why are they less deserving of having their gifts acknowledged?

Organ donors are not nameless btw, there have been many stories of parents who donated their children's organs and know exactly where the body parts went, and they often bond with the children who got their child's organs and lived because of them. I see nothing at all tacky about it.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:38 AM

6,586 posts, read 8,457,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Eventually. But not before folks die or are seriously injured. Ice Bucket FAIL videos on YouTube show some pretty stupid stunts, and a lot of those folks are lucky they didn't suffer head or neck injuries.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Also, people injure themselves and sometimes even die while running marathons to benefit charities. I suppose those should stop as well.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
So what??? Do you feel the same way about artists signing their work, or authors having their name on their books? It exists, isn't that enough??
You're comparing apples to oranges. Most artists and authors are looking to profit/make $.

Quote:
Organ donors are not nameless btw
Not true. I did a quick search and in NY anyways, it's anonymous:

Questions About Organ Donation | New York Organ Donor Network

"Do donor families and recipients remain anonymous?

"Yes. The identity of the donor, the donor’s family and the recipient(s) are confidential. A recipient can know the donor’s sex, approximate age and state in which he/she lived. "

I believe they are anonymous in all states/it's a law. The thank you letters you are referring to are often conveyed by 3rd parties, not directly, to protect identity.

Last edited by stevek64; 08-27-2014 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,527,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Wow, some of you are crabby. To answer the reason behind why ice water is dumped on your head, when the ice hits your head, for two seconds it shuts your muscular system down and simulates what it is like to have ALS. Also, you are supposed to donate $10 if you do it, $100 if you don't but no one is forcing anyone to do anything. I know if I nominated my dad, he would probably just ignore it because he's a tightwad and hates to be cold. LOL.
I personally enjoy the videos, I took the time to learn about the disease, to learn about Peter Frates who wanted to bring awareness to this once he was diagnosed in hopes that he could do some good before he left this earth and I was nominated last night and will be doing it tonight.

Also, I must know some pretty great people because every video I've seen that my friends post they've mentioned that you should donate as well as do the challenge.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:21 PM

51,225 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Your comparing apples to oranges. Most artists and authors are looking to profit/make $.

Not true. I did a quick search and in NY anyways, it's anonymous:

Questions About Organ Donation | New York Organ Donor Network

"Do donor families and recipients remain anonymous?

"Yes. The identity of the donor, the donor’s family and the recipient(s) are confidential. A recipient can know the donor’s sex, approximate age and state in which he/she lived. "

I believe they are anonymous in all states/it's a law. The thank you letters you are referring to are often conveyed by 3rd parties, not directly, to protect identity.
Okay, I give. Everyone who has donated to ALS in this charity event is a selfish narcissist who spends all their spare time taking selfies and looking in the mirror, and they would probably step over an injured puppy if there weren't a way to record the rescue. Happy now?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM

6,586 posts, read 8,457,206 times
Quote:
Okay, I give. Everyone who has donated to ALS in this charity event is a selfish narcissist who spends all their spare time taking selfies and looking in the mirror, and they would probably step over an injured puppy if there weren't a way to record the rescue. Happy now?
Totally agree! Everyone should stop doing the challenge and go back to taking selfies that benefit....no one.

P.S. - I'm unable to rep you again.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:

hehehe....good grief. A little grey thinking I think is a good thing.

Again, you're taking me waaay out of context. I simply stated "Whatever happened to people just giving to something they believe in without having their face/name plastered all over it?".

That's all. As I suggested a few posts up, why don't we agree to disagree and move on?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:28 PM

460 posts, read 984,235 times
If instead of the ice bucket challenge, it was something else of a more sexual and playful nature, like mooning someone, at least I would be entertained.

See, going topless for breast cancer makes sense.

Major drought in SF and I am not accepting any nominations. And already have charitable causes I give to.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:05 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,060,508 times
Quote:
I don't think it matters what their reasons are. The end result is millions have been raised because people did it, for whatever reason.
But people who take the challenge don't donate money so where are the millions of dollars coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships