Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 07:16 PM

260 posts, read 427,859 times

Advertisements

I have an old, thick wooden fence with slight gaps so people are able to watch each other through them. I am surrounded by 4 different neighbors. 2 of them work pretty regularly so aren't a problem.

Neighbor 1 lives in the back. Not sure if he's a NEET or just works at home but he's in the backyard all day and has a dog that barks constantly. He just moved there a couple of months ago.

Neighbor 2 lives on the side. He used to work pretty regularly (and I think lived alone for the most part). Not sure what happened but now he has a few women of various ages living with him and he has constructed a pool in his backyard where they all hang out pretty regularly for a majority of the day. He doesn't seem to work as much and comes home pretty early.

Neighbor 1 is annoying but seems to mind his own business. Neighbor 2 and his co-inhabitants are the problem. They watch me from their pool and comment to each other about me and it's pretty uncomfortable. I love being in my backyard but now I can't go out there without fear of being watched.

I can't complain too much though because I will be moving soon. If I wasn't I'd be putting burlap, tarp or some other material on the fence to erase visibility.

Just wanted to get this off my chest and also to ask, does anyone else have creepy or weird neighbors? I seem to have a history of weirdos. At the last place I lived my back of house neighbors had kids that never went to school, just bounced on their trampoline all day and never let their dog inside and let it bark constantly. I honestly can't understand people like this. So frustrating!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Too bad you can't get a realistic dummy or a friend that would be willing to play dead. Then you could dig a hole in your yard and look like you are burying a body. Heh heh!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
FWIW, you seem to have been watching them too. Enough to know quite a bit about their recent doings.

Maybe say hello. Be friendly. I have a neighbor I don't really like, but when we're both outside I wave and say hello. It's actually a lot less uncomfortable to greet each other, get it over with and then continue doing what you were going to do... than it is to sit out there and try to pretend to ignore each other.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:38 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

Maybe say hello. Be friendly. It's actually a lot less uncomfortable to greet each other, get it over with and then continue doing what you were going to do... than it is to sit out there and try to pretend to ignore each other.
This. For one thing, if they get to know you they may respect your privacy more...a stranger's right to privacy doesn't mean as much as a friend's.

Also agree about your mutual "interest" in them. Pot meet kettle. Respect is a two way street. You seem to know a lot about what your neighbors do in their back yards...with enough detail, including ages of those women, to describe all of it to us! Its possible this has something to do with your "history" of weirdos.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-06-2019 at 02:50 AM..

Old 07-06-2019, 03:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
OP appears to watch them as much as they watch him. That would be the only way you'd notice them no?

Old 07-06-2019, 07:15 AM

859 posts, read 704,987 times
You stated "slight gaps", I would suggest, if they are slight, try to paste a dark color tape on them; then u can remove them easily when you want to move to the new place.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:07 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Yes, I've had weird neighbors in two locations in the same city. No one watching me, though. You're lucky that you have a move coming up. I hope you get a better neighbor situation in your new location. Just tell yourself, "this, too, shall pass", and cross off the calendar days until you move.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:15 AM

341 posts, read 284,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Too bad you can't get a realistic dummy or a friend that would be willing to play dead. Then you could dig a hole in your yard and look like you are burying a body. Heh heh!
I like ideas such as this. Here's another one: get a cheap or fake security video cam and mount it on a tripod or even on the fence and point it at their house.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:20 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
OP appears to watch them as much as they watch him. That would be the only way you'd notice them no?
He said that he hears them commenting about him, so obviously he knows they are peeking through the fence.

Can you spray the fence with a water hose every time they look in?

Old 07-06-2019, 12:29 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Those people are not going to change their habits - try when you move to get into a better situation where you won't have that problem or you're just asking for it all over again. How soon are you moving? If it's in a few months, just slough it off and focus on your new place. If it's next year, put up something that's removable so you won't go insane until you do move.

There are creepy people everywhere so watch out where you're moving next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships