Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,136 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I have a situation I need advice about. Thought I would post here
I am a freshman who rushed and got a bid for my top sorority. Next weekend there is a mother daughter weekend where everyone prepares for the ceremony, the moms get invited for a shopping and sleepover weekend as well as a dinner. For all of us members it's mandatory.
At first I wasn't worried because I figured I wouldn't be left out. I don't have a mother and I assumed my some of my sister's mothers wouldn't be able to make it or didn't have one like me. But everyone has signed up and everyone has one on the sign up sheet.
I went to my big sister about it (my sorority big sister... I don't have an actual sister) and she says that it's okay and that maybe I had an aunt or someone who can come.
But I'm from foster care and don't have any family. I called up my old foster mom from my last placement and decided to ask, even though I was only placed there for less than a year. I don't know her that well. She said she couldn't and that she doesn't know how to get to my school anyway and it's a long drive.
I started a part time job and thought about asking my boss but I just started there so that could be awkward for her. She seems like a nice lady and she has kids but I don't know her that well either. I also thought about putting an ad on Craigslist but it would be weird asking a stranger to come right? I thought maybe a mom with nothing to do might want to come. There will be food and activities and other stuff. Nothing too wild or anything.
If not and I don't end up asking I am not sure what I should do. All the activities are for two people and I guess I'm just worried about it.

thank you all for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,023,761 times
If I were close to you I would do it from my heart for you. Well I am too far away so that is not an option. Well if I were you just speak out the truth. I am sure the organizers would understand well. Even if you are not from foster care what if your mom passed away at some point. I truly understand you. Be strong. my prayers with you!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,018,989 times
I wouldn't ask a stranger, or even a very casual acquaintance. It seems weird to me that your sorority big sister can't step in to fill the role for the weekend. Maybe one of the other upper classwomen can? I'd go back to either your "sister", or the president of the sorority for answers.

Good for you for making it to college, and, since it means something to you, being accepted into a sorority despite your difficult background. Don't let one weekend throw you off track.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,023,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wouldn't ask a stranger, or even a very casual acquaintance. It seems weird to me that your sorority big sister can't step in to fill the role for the weekend. Maybe one of the other upper classwomen can? I'd go back to either your "sister", or the president of the sorority for answers.

Good for you for making it to college, and, since it means something to you, being accepted into a sorority despite your difficult background. Don't let one weekend throw you off track.
I think that is a good idea. yeah there was a one with us too when were at college. she went away.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:47 PM

22,684 posts, read 47,890,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsashlee View Post
Hello all. I have a situation I need advice about. Thought I would post here
I am a freshman who rushed and got a bid for my top sorority. Next weekend there is a mother daughter weekend where everyone prepares for the ceremony, the moms get invited for a shopping and sleepover weekend as well as a dinner. For all of us members it's mandatory.
At first I wasn't worried because I figured I wouldn't be left out. I don't have a mother and I assumed my some of my sister's mothers wouldn't be able to make it or didn't have one like me. But everyone has signed up and everyone has one on the sign up sheet.
I went to my big sister about it (my sorority big sister... I don't have an actual sister) and she says that it's okay and that maybe I had an aunt or someone who can come.
But I'm from foster care and don't have any family. I called up my old foster mom from my last placement and decided to ask, even though I was only placed there for less than a year. I don't know her that well. She said she couldn't and that she doesn't know how to get to my school anyway and it's a long drive.
I started a part time job and thought about asking my boss but I just started there so that could be awkward for her. She seems like a nice lady and she has kids but I don't know her that well either. I also thought about putting an ad on Craigslist but it would be weird asking a stranger to come right? I thought maybe a mom with nothing to do might want to come. There will be food and activities and other stuff. Nothing too wild or anything.
If not and I don't end up asking I am not sure what I should do. All the activities are for two people and I guess I'm just worried about it.

thank you all for reading.
You cannot be the first pledge to have this problem.
Ask your big sister (or pledge mother) how it was handled in the past.
Asking a casual acquaintance - and especially a stranger - doesn't sound like a good idea.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 PM

She will be busy running activities that weekend as will a lot of the older girls. She mentioned it and apologized that she couldn't fill in.

Thank you to you both!!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:50 PM

22,684 posts, read 47,890,344 times
Who is busy? I don't know who you are referring to....

Old 09-08-2014, 12:52 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,270,361 times
Do you have any close friends from high school or friends you made from where you lived during your last foster placement? Does the previous foster family have relatives that you know?

I'm sorry you're in this situation. I guess sometimes these events aren't planned thinking that someone may not have a mother or father, etc.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Who is busy? I don't know who you are referring to....
sorry. I meant my big sister and the other girls. I could ask again though.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:15 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,159,276 times
One of the older sisters should fill in for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships