Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:08 PM

12 posts, read 13,310 times

Advertisements

i'm pregnant and once i told my baby's father i wasn't going to breastfeed he got upset w/ me.
he said, "what do you mean you won't? it's better for the baby."
now he's been bringing it up and he says he thinks I will change my mind once our child is born
but honestly i have no interest & plan on formula feeding
i think he thinks this bc his brothers wife breastfeeds, makes her own baby food etc
im not against breastfeeding or anything its just not for me.
my mom told me to just do what i want but his family are the ones that live close to me & they
are pressuring me and talking it up about how the milk is better for the baby
part of my issue is pumping… it seems awful and i googled the process and it's def not for me.
anyway once again im not against it in general but it's not for me and i feel like it's my choice to make.
i am looking for advice as to how to get them off my back.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 PM

besides the health thing i know he thinks it will cost more $$$
but to me thats just babies & kids in general
they cost money and i think he needs to get used to that
i will be using reuseable diapers so we will be saving money on that front
i did compromise over that.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:14 PM

39,380 posts, read 27,767,665 times
Are there any particular reasons why do you refuse breastfed your child? I aint a mother, but I read it somewhere that breastfeed is a great way to bond with the child. Maybe after your child is born, your mind would change? Why worry about this now?

Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM

7,736 posts, read 12,662,954 times
He's the father of your child now, not just your boyfriend. So you have to consider his feelings in this relationship. My advice is to try it at least ONCE when the baby first comes. That way you actually get to experience it and see for sure if it's something you want or don't want and you at least satisfy your boyfriend in that regard.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,842,264 times
Just tell everyone, "I've ALREADY taken your opinions under advisement. Can we all just go on to something else? Otherwise, I'll see you when baby is 5 years old."

Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,029,292 times
I don't think the father should get to decide if the mother breast feeds or not. However, there are so many benefits to breast feeding for both you and the baby. I lost all my pregnancy weight gain in 2 weeks after giving birth, and attribute that to breast feeding. The benefits for the babies are well documented. It also creates a wonderful bond between the mother and child.

Don't rule it out until you give it a fair shot.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:40 PM

29,784 posts, read 34,559,377 times
I'm surprised that your OB/GYN hasn't discussed this with you. Mothers on the board can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you'll be able to walk out of the hospital without at least speaking to a lactation consultant.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,510,868 times
Easier
Safer
Faster
More convenient
Healthier, mentally and physically, both you and baby

Enough said, your decision.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm surprised that your OB/GYN hasn't discussed this with you. Mothers on the board can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that you'll be able to walk out of the hospital without at least speaking to a lactation consultant.
it hasnt been yet but maybe because i am only sixteen weeks.
at this point his family have been the only ones to discuss it with me

wow i did not know that! someone told me they normally encourage breastfeeding
but i didnt know you had to hear it as an option after the birth.

this is my first pregnancy so i apologize if i sound naive
i am definitely learning as i go.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:52 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,275,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I honestly don't remember my OB/GYN discussing it. I do remember at Lamaze classes it was discussed and there were lactation classes. I tried breastfeeding. I had the lactation nurse in the room with me. My daughter wouldn't latch on. It was almost like she was impatient. The nurse was there and we tried. At that point we opted for a bottle of formula. I found that she was fussy with bottle nipples so my guess is mine wasn't the right fit for her lol. I did pump though.

In NYC, the formula is now locked in a closet and they force women to breastfeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships