Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

One idea if you have nearby friends who have other plans on Thanksgiving, you could do your Thanksgiving on Saturday instead, when friends might be free, and invite them over for a meal.

That's what we're doing. We decided a few years ago it was a little silly for everyone to be driving around to get somewhere on the same day. We stay home for the traffic and have our get togethers when it's not so busy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
If there is a Whole Foods or similar store near you? They have a deli with all sorts of holiday food that you can buy premade in small quantities, right down to gravy and cranberry. I've been alone for holidays and done that.

I usually decide what it is I'd really like to eat and what it is I'd really like to do and then I do that - sometimes it's hiking, a movie, reading a great book etc. Holidays are only depressing when you're alone if you let them be....they can also be nice and relaxing too.

Another thing you can do is volunteer to help feed the homeless.
Really great suggestions.

I would add, check with your local meals on wheels program, they deliver meals daily to elderly or people who cannot leave their homes. That would be something anyone who is lonely should volunteer to do at some point. Many of these folks only see the delivery person....and not any other company.

Or any senior center. Find out they need any help serving dinner to their members...Seniors are a wonderful group of folks to be around. They often have lived through so many things that they are just happy to be alive and it makes for wonderful attitudes. And, they rub off on us when we hang out with them

It sure puts your own life in perspective when you volunteer to help others, and it makes your soul feel so good.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
A friend who is now gone and had no family near her for the last years of her life got very involved in the Unitarian Church and they are big on potlucks and every year had a huge feast and it was very well attended. One brought assigned dishes and the church did the turkeys. I attended a couple over the years and then I just started to kinda gag on the spread of so much foods.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:05 PM

104 posts, read 96,732 times
I view holidays just like every other day, nothing special. Although I do like those big bags of stuffing you can only get around Thanksgiving. I went to a Thanksgiving dinner for students at my university, but that was about it (and it wasn't on the "real" Thanksgiving day.) If I weren't in school I wouldn't celebrate at all.

Christmas is too sappy and materialistic.

I view holidays as being more for families and kids.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:22 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Maybe someone said it and I missed it but maybe consider hosting an "Orphan Thanksgiving Dinner" for other people that you know in the same circumstances if you can and like to cook. A woman at work did this every year and being half a continent away from family and new to the area it was much appreciated and we always had a great time. We went every year and brought food along to add to the meal.

I get that you might not have a family connection and the plain fact remains that those of us that were raised in marginal, or even worse yet, bad circumstances, might have a hard time connecting to other people and making real friends. Been there and therapy has helped a great deal in that department.

Other ideas others have suggested already. Also you don't have to cook the traditional meal. We grill steaks or ribs and seafood. (Surf and turf.) Come back to the thread and let us know what you might be able to do.
When my brother was single and not living close to family he would invite others who too were alone for dinner on thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:45 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Opps didn't realize it was a old thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships