Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those of you who had tame childhoods, do you regret not being wild when younger?
Yes 24 24.00%
No 76 76.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 01:06 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,809,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
That was the case with myself to, my parents were old fashion and didn't understand the changes in society from when they were young.

I still harbor anger towards my parents but I try to lighten on this as people seem to be so judgemental these days and this seems to create a lot of problems in the world.
You have to let it go, if they honestly meant well, and you know they honestly meant well. Unless they were as capricious as Joan Crawford was alleged to be, you have to acknowledge they didn't have ESP and thus they couldn't satisfy your growing up needs (and who among us does?) and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:12 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,809,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
such as?
Such as: I did my share of drinking and toking, but it wasn't celebrating; it was drowning (or "stoning") sorrows. My parents never understood that.

The few friends that I had, and I, didn't get drunk or high "for fun"; we did it because we were miserable. We were not pressured by peers; we were *rejected* by peers.

Last edited by NickB1967; 11-17-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 01:31 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,797,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
You have to let it go, if they honestly meant well, and you know they honestly meant well. Unless they were as capricious as Joan Crawford was alleged to be, you have to acknowledge they didn't have ESP and thus they couldn't satisfy your growing up needs (and who among us does?) and move on.
That's true. It doesn't bother me nearly as much now as in my "angry" years. There was a brief period when this flair up when my mom made an issue about me no longer going to church and how I must be godless but I've let that go to.

To keep up on the anger I would be a hypocrite as I strongly believe that people and countries (Ukraine, the west and Russia) need to work together in the face of adversity instead of descending into accusations and worse.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:25 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,463,459 times
I used to do some crazy things when I was young. But pretty much by 11 years old I had to give up one of my favorite hobby "bombing" subway cars. That is what we use to call when you used one of the older kids "skelton"keys to get into the subway cars in the yard and do the big graffitti art. We jump the barb-wire fence, get past dogs etc, cross third rail and go to work. Sometimes 20 of us. Funny back then cars were covered with grafitti so you were painting over someone else. That in itself is dangerous as if it was a good grafitti artist who did work and you did your "art" on top he would come after you. We did the tag with the grafittii name and nearest numbered street.

I recall when I was 9 using a milk crate to stand on and spray paint did a nice big one near armory on Jerome ave in the Bronx visible from the Four train. Man that was scary to do a big one with cars honking and flying by and people can see you from train.

Even scarier walking through Bronx with cans of stolen spray paint and a milk crate by yourself at the age of nine. I go the spary paint as I found another "artist" stash where he hid them. Hey cant keep them at home, Mom and Dad would kill you.

Anyhow got some serious street cred from the older artists as they thought it was ballsy. Later when I was 22 I cruised by my old Tag spots in the Bronx and that was only one still up. I think cause it is in a super visible spot most folks tag and run, my thing was big several feet wide and high.

In NY pretty much by your 14 birthday no more fun.

A child under 10 can’t be charged with any criminal offences, without exception.
If you’re under 14, you’re legally a child and you can’t be charged with criminal offences, but with these exceptions:
  • if you’re aged 10 or 11, you can be charged with murder or manslaughter
  • if you’re aged 12 or 13, you can be charged with murder, manslaughter and the following service offences:
    • all offences where the maximum penalty is 14 or more years in prison, such as rape, aggravated wounding or aggravated robbery
    • all offences where the maximum penalty is 10 to 14 years in prison, such as burglary or robbery, and you have previously committed an offence of the same or greater seriousness.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:04 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,330,663 times
Nope, because I would've gotten a beating (not a spanking). My parents didn't allow that.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM

475 posts, read 902,262 times
Well ... I voted no on the survey but when I read the following posts I realized compared to many that I in fact was a wild kid after all. I still thought of myself as a good kid though, since I never disrespected my parents and half the motivation for not getting caught was not wanting to shame them.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:33 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,068,214 times
Perhaps at times, but mostly I'm just grateful I didn't "peak" in high school, if you know what I mean.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM

305 posts, read 283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
That was the case with myself to, my parents were old fashion and didn't understand the changes in society from when they were young.

I still harbor anger towards my parents but I try to lighten on this as people seem to be so judgemental these days and this seems to create a lot of problems in the world.

It would be helpful if you could be more specific.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,351,836 times
Speaking as a person who had a protected religious upbringing and then went "crazy" after leaving home at the age of 19 hitch hiking for a year looking for America before finally landing in the part of the country that accepts rebels and radicals, Southern Calif.
The thought that is most prevalant on my mind at this stage in my life is the old saying " If I had only known that I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."
Dancing with the Devil is a lot of fun but believe me when I say that one day the Devil has to be paid his dues and they sure seem to be pretty expensive at my current age.
My body really feels like I've been rode hard and put away wet when I get up in the morning to greet the new day and can't believe that I'm still here and can't count how many of the people I used to hang with are not.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,451,039 times
No I think I had the right balance (for me) regarding silliness as a teen. What I do regret is all the wasted time where I could have been learning something like foreign languages, how to surf, or the fundamental of wiring a car stereo. I look back and realize that i wasted a lot of my younger years being a kid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships