Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times

Advertisements

Her name could've really been Katherine or Kaitlyn and she went by Kate. For instance, Kate Gosselin's real name is Katie, but she changed it to Kate so that it rhymed with eight for the show.

I just say, "Remind me what your name is."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 AM

457 posts, read 889,579 times
I'm terrible with remembering names, too. I teach group obedience classes at a local animal shelter, so on the first night of class, I make sure to let everyone know that I will never remember their names, and that I will constantly be calling them by the name of their dog (because I only have to meet a dog once, and will remember that name forever, lol).

A lot of the students find it quite amusing and make jokes about it. Some actually do something smart like challenging me to remember their name...and that usually seems to work, I imagine because it forms some sort of rapport with them (the competition thing).

Don't feel bad about not being able to remember someone's name, especially if you're not around them on a regular basis. It happens to all of us, most of the time. It's really no biggie.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:28 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I just have a long conversation with these people and never refer to them by name. I always hope that they will somehow refer to themselves into the conversation. They usually do, and quickly. You would be surprised how quickly people mention their own names. That saves me

Old 11-21-2014, 12:20 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
I always forget peoples names... I usually just play it cool or say other things when saying hello and good bye and what not to sound genuine and make it so I'm purposely not avoid using their name.

Even when I introduce my wife to someone who's name I forget... I just tell them that this is my wife "so and so" and pause... then the other person usually will introduce themselves and their name... so... haha.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Cate Blanchett. You never know.

As for me, we have known another parent for 3+ years now and we see each other at kids' sporting events. But I still don't know their first name. We're not the only ones either. Go figure.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:38 PM

522 posts, read 695,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorena View Post
Is there anyway to recover?

I'm a Resident Assistant at my university and tonight a resident--not mine specifically, but another coworker's--came to speak to me about a personal issue she was having with a roommate... and well I forgot her name. So get this, I tried to play it off by asking her to "spell" her name...her name's Kate I tried to save myself by saying, "what's your last name...please spell your last name." Haha honestly I can only laugh at myself, but I do feel bad. But to be fair I haven't seen this girl since October at best, and we don't live in the same wing of the building so I rarely do see her. Even still though, I feel bad because by her seeking me out for counsel over her own RA makes me feel like she clearly felt we had "bond," and by me forgetting her name it does take away from that.

Anyway for kicks, what's your "awkward" name forgetting story?

*Edit:* I needed her name because I had to get further assistance for her situation and had to share the name of the 'resident in question' and that was her...
I've known this girl for 2 years and stupidly didn't know her name. I passed by her and was like "Hey Ashlynn!" and then she gave me a wide eyed, shocked look and said "My name is Ashley...?" So awkward.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
This happens to me all the time (as I age ::sigh:. I have just said, "I am so sorry, I am horrible with names. Can you remind me?" I haven't come across anyone offended yet.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I'm not great with names either. I don't think many people are. I smile, and admit I can place the face, but not the name. I don't think it's really a faux pas these days. Our worlds get wider all the time.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:49 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
There was a time in my life when I was between permanent employment and had to resort to doing temp work. As a result, I came across lots of people.

One day, my husband and I were grocery shopping when I was approached by a woman who knew my name. OMG! I couldn't remember her name or where it was she worked. So...I started asking her how everybody at work was doing and if there was anything new. That at least told me where I had met her. So...we chatted and I didn't introduce my husband. I wish I had thought of what KathrynAragon and her husband do in that situation! --- Good idea!

And, yes, in my case I can blame it in part to aging. In my younger days, I would meet someone once and always remember their name and where I met them. In fact, I had to learn to stop approaching people I met just once because so many times they would say that they didn't remember me.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Unless you are introducing them to someone why do you have to remember their name to have a conversation?

I went out with a woman for several months and did not know her last name. I asked her friend, the friend ratted me out, and I got yelled at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships