Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:11 PM

596 posts, read 627,481 times

Advertisements

Is there anyway to recover?

I'm a Resident Assistant at my university and tonight a resident--not mine specifically, but another coworker's--came to speak to me about a personal issue she was having with a roommate... and well I forgot her name. So get this, I tried to play it off by asking her to "spell" her name...her name's Kate I tried to save myself by saying, "what's your last name...please spell your last name." Haha honestly I can only laugh at myself, but I do feel bad. But to be fair I haven't seen this girl since October at best, and we don't live in the same wing of the building so I rarely do see her. Even still though, I feel bad because by her seeking me out for counsel over her own RA makes me feel like she clearly felt we had "bond," and by me forgetting her name it does take away from that.

Anyway for kicks, what's your "awkward" name forgetting story?

*Edit:* I needed her name because I had to get further assistance for her situation and had to share the name of the 'resident in question' and that was her...

Last edited by MMorena; 11-20-2014 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
I've done it so many times. It never fails to mortify me though. I wish I could use one of those tricks to help me remember.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:40 PM

596 posts, read 627,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I've done it so many times. It never fails to mortify me though. I wish I could use one of those tricks to help me remember.
A great tip is assigning a character trait that corresponds (lack of a better word, rhymes) with the first name.

So if you meet someone named Jake and he's really happy and outgoing, make a mental note in your mind that he's "joyful Jake." Unfortunately though, you need to see them enough for this to work.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,538 times
When some old friend bumps me in any occasion and I forget their name? Oh I just smiles all throughout the short encounter LOL

Old 11-20-2014, 10:59 PM

412 posts, read 545,547 times
I forget names all the time. If we just met recently, I have no problem asking them again, but if I have known them longer I'd just ask a friend or say hi and forget the name thing.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I usually just say, "Oh, I'm terrible with names, tell me your name again," and they tell me their name and then ask mine, because they've forgotten it too but have no good way to ask what it is

Old 11-21-2014, 02:42 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I usually just say, "Oh, I'm terrible with names, tell me your name again," and they tell me their name and then ask mine, because they've forgotten it too but have no good way to ask what it is
yup!

Works for me.

Can't blame it on old age. I have always been lousy at remembering names.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:41 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
Shoot that happens to me all the time. I just laugh it off and say dont feel bad, I can't remember my own name half the time.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
The worst is when you are sitting with your wife or gf and someone comes up and starts talking to you, and you know you are supposed to introduce them to your date, and you can't remember that person's name. Very uncomfortable, and I squirm every time it happens.

Don

Old 11-21-2014, 06:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The worst is when you are sitting with your wife or gf and someone comes up and starts talking to you, and you know you are supposed to introduce them to your date, and you can't remember that person's name. Very uncomfortable, and I squirm every time it happens.

Don
My husband and I are both bad with names. After a time or two of this happening, we had a discussion and we came to an agreement - when someone we don't know walks up and obviously recognizes our spouse and they start talking, we will just stand up or whatever and say, "Oh by the way, I'm Kathryn and I'm _____'s wife." We do it before it gets awkward - like, right away.

Our "cue" is that our spouse DIDN'T introduce us - we then know immediately that the name has been forgotten!

Makes things a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships