Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 08:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times

Advertisements

Our heavenly Father wants us to call him Daddy. Men should embrace their fathers (hugs) and give them kisses any time! I think it shows a closeness that can't compare to anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 09:11 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,392,584 times
I call my parents a variety of things depending on the situation. And yes, sometimes I call my father Daddy - when I'm sad about something or worried about him. Most of the time I call him "Pop" because that is what he called his father.

And sometimes I call my mother Mommy for the same reasons.

I don't think anyone would consider us freakishly close (indeed, I am often puzzled by how involved other people's parents are in their lives), and I tend to be more parental towards them than they are to me these days. But they ARE my parents, and they do occasionally provide me with emotional comfort when I need it and I love them very much. To me, "Mommy" and "Daddy" are endearments similar to the ones I use with my other friends and family.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,495,720 times
Mom is Mom, when we disagree she is Mother. I am not close with my dad so he is referred to by first name.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:00 AM

607 posts, read 1,394,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Now - GROWN WOMEN CALLING THEIR HUSBANDS "DADDY???????" Whooooole other ballgame. That makes me absolutely nauseous!
Disturbing. Had an Aunt & Uncle call each other Mom & Dad, at times. Not as bad, but still always made me cringe. Same with people calling their pets.....come to mommy, come to daddy. Something not right about that.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
No, not at all. I had other good people in my life.

Regardless of whether or not you had other good people in your life, you father wasn't one of them. Your words, not mine.

So to say you don't resent that(I have yet to meet an adult who had lousy parents who is OK with that and why should they be), isn't true. I know people in their 70s who will still talk about rotten parents.

For you to start a thread like this, you resent people you see who are close to their parents.

And those of us who had wonderful parents who are no longer with us, would love to be able to call them whatever we wanted to one more time.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:17 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,061,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Regardless of whether or not you had other good people in your life, you father wasn't one of them. Your words, not mine.

So to say you don't resent that(I have yet to meet an adult who had lousy parents who is OK with that and why should they be), isn't true. I know people in their 70s who will still talk about rotten parents.

For you to start a thread like this, you resent people you see who are close to their parents.

And those of us who had wonderful parents who are no longer with us, would love to be able to call them whatever we wanted to one more time.
If this thread has done anything for me, it's reinforced my belief that there are two kinds of people: those that seem to take on bother about things that don't impact them at all, and those that don't.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,396,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
...you resent people you see who are close to their parents.
No I don't! My sons are very close to their parents. I think it is a wonderful thing.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:34 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,396,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
If this thread has done anything for me, it's reinforced my belief that there are two kinds of people: those that seem to take on bother about things that don't impact them at all, and those that don't.
Everyone has things that bother them. I wouldn't agree that it bothers me. It makes me cringe, but to each their own. If it makes you feel all cozy inside using those words more power to you. I have found it sweet some of the stories people have shared on this thread.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:49 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Saying "Hubby" too... cringe worthy.
I call my husband hubby online only. It's shorthand. In real life, I use his name or Sweetie. Or some other honorific one says to a husband.

But hubby is one I picked up from my favorite aunt who was a cousin. She called her husband her favorite hubby. He loved it... (he was her only hubby....) and called her his most special wifey.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:58 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,015,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Very cute story!
He had a different way of teaching, And I am truly happy the way he guide to the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships