Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 07:37 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I was watching the movie The Birds today and the scene where Tippi Hedren is trying t tell her father over the phone about the bird attacks and she kept saying.."well I know Daddy...yes Daddy.....ok Daddy..I don't know Daddy!!!!!" Thought of this thread!!!!
Isn't that funny how our online life creeps into our real life! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 07:38 AM

11,139 posts, read 9,773,353 times
"Creeping you out" is pretty much synonymous with "making you cringe".

Old 11-29-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No it is not. I think I pick my own words, not thinking it is fair for someone to change my wording. Creep and cringe do not have the same meaning. Sticking to the facts is fair. Making up stuff is not.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:16 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I never said it was my business.
The fact that you started this thread indicates that you think otherwise.

Quote:
I am sure there are a few things in life that make you cringe.
Indeed - like when people butt into other folks' business.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:25 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No it's not, they are two completely different things.

A cringe is a reaction that is mostly physical, and very short-lived.
Feeling "creeped out" is just that - a feeling. It's more of an emotional response, and doesn't always go away quickly.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Oh, I have to stand up for GiGi at this point.

All of us have sayings and words and terms that we don't like. Some of them even make us cringe. For instance, I can't STAND the word "vomit." Just hearing it nearly activates my gag reflex. And I personally really dislike the names "Ma" and "Pa" for parents - they sound like they're straight out of the movie "Deliverance" to me personally. That doesn't mean I think that people who use those terms are stupid or low class or ignorant - it just means I personally couldn't use those terms for my mom and dad without cringing a bit. This wouldn't have a thing to do with my own relationship with my mom and dad - it's a societal norm or value. No one where I come from uses those terms, so the only time I generally hear them being used is in some movie set out in the boonies somewhere, like Deliverance or The Yearling. So every time I hear them I think of everyone standing around wearing overalls and spitting tobacco juice - which I KNOW is not an accurate mental image but it's the one that springs to my mind.

So maybe that's all that GiGi is talking about - she's picked up on some negative mental image associated with adults using those terms. And I could see how that could go down. After all, we do have Mommy Dearest (Joan Crawford) and stuff like the video I posted of Toby Keith singing, "Who's Your Daddy?"

Old 11-29-2014, 10:17 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All of us have sayings and words and terms that we don't like. . .

So maybe that's all that GiGi is talking about - she's picked up on some negative mental image associated with adults using those terms.
That's correct, but also a little disingenuous. EVERYONE has something -- a turn of phrase, a psychic glitch -- that doesn't sit quite right with them.

But the OP went on to imply that it might be OK for kiddies, but adults had no business using the term. If they had stopped at "it makes me cringe", then ok, well, then -- odd thing to post about, but whatever floats their boat. But no, they had to tack on the phrase "I don't really think, even if I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my father, I would have called him Daddy in my adult years" THAT'S what people are reacting to - the not-quite-an-insult but definitely negative judgement on what other people call their parents.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
That's correct, but also a little disingenuous. EVERYONE has something -- a turn of phrase, a psychic glitch -- that doesn't sit quite right with them.

But the OP went on to imply that it might be OK for kiddies, but adults had no business using the term. If they had stopped at "it makes me cringe", then ok, well, then -- odd thing to post about, but whatever floats their boat. But no, they had to tack on the phrase "I don't really think, even if I had had a wonderful loving relationship with my father, I would have called him Daddy in my adult years" THAT'S what people are reacting to - the not-quite-an-insult but definitely negative judgement on what other people call their parents.
I get what you're saying but I still think some of the responses are over the top - and I think the OP has responded vehemently back as well at times. Things can get heated and overworked and over analyzed in this section of the forum (and a few others).

And I'm one of those who calls my dad Daddy on occasion! I dunno - the OP's stance just hasn't offended me. I think it's just one of those idiosyncrasies, like me not liking the terms "Ma" and "Pa" because I have negative connotations associated with those names. It doesn't mean I think people who use those terms are goobers. I just wouldn't use them myself. They grate on my ears.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:35 AM

11,139 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Quote:
No it is not. I think I pick my own words, not thinking it is fair for someone to change my wording. Creep and cringe do not have the same meaning. Sticking to the facts is fair. Making up stuff is not.
The meaning of many words, especially ones that describe feelings, can be subjective. Different meanings to different people. TO ME, I cringe only when I see someone/something in pain (like watching video of someone being hit on AFV), or when I am creeped out (meaning when I feel that something is gross, or inappropriate). Your mileage may vary. Did not intend to put words in your mouth.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

But the OP went on to imply that it might be OK for kiddies, but adults had no business using the term.
STOP writing things I never said!!!! Geez... I just went over the entire thread and I NEVER wrote anything like that.

I know I have drank a few glasses of wine this weekend, but I do know what I wrote. Just stick to the facts, when you start making things up it becomes silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships