Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 11:59 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,801,751 times

Advertisements

My mom married when I was about 5. (I consider him my dad.) They built a house shortly after they married. Poured a sidewalk in front of the house. My dad thought it would be nice to write our names in the wet concrete. He spelled my name as, "Nicky." I pitched a fit and he never misspelled it again. (Well, maybe once or twice. Three times, tops. Okay, possibly four or five.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,914,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
My mom married when I was about 5. (I consider him my dad.) They built a house shortly after they married. Poured a sidewalk in front of the house. My dad thought it would be nice to write our names in the wet concrete. He spelled my name as, "Nicky." I pitched a fit and he never misspelled it again. (Well, maybe once or twice. Three times, tops. Okay, possibly four or five.)
Assuming your name is spelled correctly in your user ID, I would pronounce it "NEE-chee." Or if I didn't know Italian, "NIH-see."

Old 11-30-2014, 12:19 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,801,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Assuming your name is spelled correctly in your user ID, I would pronounce it "NEE-chee." Or if I didn't know Italian, "NIH-see."
I hear that quite often. It's pronounced like boring, old, "Nicky." Well, sometimes when I'm feeling all "continental," I'll call myself, "NEE-chee." But no one ever buys it.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM

106 posts, read 141,270 times
Double negatives make me twitch

Old 11-30-2014, 04:26 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,748,285 times
Where I freak is when I give directions, "Go to your right." And the person goes left.

Automatic, "Your other right." Genetically ingrained.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:02 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,405,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Oh no! Guess you could give him an A+ for effort!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:09 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,784,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot View Post
Double negatives make me twitch
Both in math AND grammar! Double negatives equal a positive.

I don't not like grammar rules.

Which means, of course, I like grammar rules!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,784,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Where I freak is when I give directions, "Go to your right." And the person goes left.

One of my kids STILL makes an "L" with the hands to detect left!

Old 11-30-2014, 05:12 PM

32,977 posts, read 36,484,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

There are two rights in my family, and one of them is wrong. My son was ambidextrous for years before he began to favor his left hand. He's the one who would have turned left. I have no idea how many times I said, "Your other right." I wonder if people with dyslexia do that.

His grammar deteriorated when he entered middle school. Apparently, it wasn't cool to speak properly. That drove me crazy.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:12 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,823,686 times
A man walks in, eats, shoots, and leaves.

A man walks in, eats shoots, and leaves.

A man walks in, eats shoots and leaves

HUGE difference.

Another favorite of mine:

A woman without her man, is nothing.

A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Sometimes I have to read and re-read posts to try to decipher the meaning. . . so, yes, grammar police be damned, but don't you all want to be understood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships