Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 10:15 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

As I get older, I am more about creating memories rather than buying gits.

The time spent together and creating memories and upholding traditions seems more valuable to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 11:28 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,820 times
I made one very nice handmade gift for someone very special, and if I get ambitious, I'll probably make gifts of bokashi for those in my neighborhood who garden.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 AM

118 posts, read 157,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
As I get older, I am more about creating memories rather than buying gits.

The time spent together and creating memories and upholding traditions seems more valuable to me
I agree with this wholeheartedly!!

My parents & grandparents have passed so no obligation there. When my kids hit their early 20's and only wanted "the best" e.g.. Coach purse, etc. Instead of bowing to rampant materialism, I started giving a sizeable contribution to the charity of their choice.

The contribution is large because I want them to understand the concept of really giving, even if it hurts. And their charity must be highly rated.

This has gone on for 10 years now and they are becoming involved in their respective charities and trying to get each other to "jump ship" to their charity. It has resulted in some pretty funny moments of persuasion.

And no shopping for me.... Wonderful!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
I have three people to buy gifts for: my mom, sister and my daughter. All three are very thankful for their gifts. Mom will be getting a $500 gift card for Bloomingdales which is her favorite store. I'll have to work overtime to pull that one off, but she deserves it.

My sister will get $150 to do whatever she wants with, and my daughter- well, there is an endless list of items. So I'll pick and choose her favorites until my money runs out.

I don't mind giving gifts, in my family it is a big deal. I just have so much on my plate coming up that it is a real drain. I'm a divorced single mom, full time college student currently with a part time job. I wish I could just stay away from traveling to see everyone but that isn't an option during the holidays. I feel like I spend all this money and while I get around 20,30 gifts from my mother alone, I wish I could just opt out and spend the money on important things and a little bit on what I really want.

Maybe one day I'll have the guts to say "Next year guys!"

I am being a bit selfish....some people have SO many gifts to buy, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes. So I should be thankful. I actually got asked what I wanted this year so maybe I'll get one of those items.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Tell us about your gift giving for Christmas. How many people do you buy gifts for?
Non-existent and zero.

I have not bought anyone a gift for the December 25 holiday in over 30 years.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:58 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
None and Zero. I don't understand the need to buy things for adults that they don't need and probably don't want. Trading gift cards is also pointless. If everyone kept their own money, they could spend it however they liked or save it! Getting rid of the gift giving took a lot of the stress out of the holidays. Every year there is someone who is a bit strapped for cash because of medical bills, or a layoff, or they just bought a house, etc. I would hate to see someone go into debt buying gifts. ugh

Old 12-01-2014, 01:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
We don't want to make waves and it is expected and is easier than the anger we would have to endure by the few relatives we like. If we did not show up with gifts for everyone, the air would be sucked out of the room and people would gossip, give us the silent treatment and I would never hear the end of it for months afterwards.
That's the modus operandi for your family anyway, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, so why not do what you want?

Old 12-01-2014, 02:01 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I'd never buy a gift for someone who would have a fit if I didn't.

We are only buying for immediate family, no friends.

So mom's, sister's, brother's, dad's, grandparents. I think we got put into the family gift exchange this year but that's a $10 limit.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:20 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,126,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I'd never buy a gift for someone who would have a fit if I didn't.
^^ This! It kind of takes away the whole idea of giving a gift! This is more like paying taxes...do it or you'll get in trouble. No thanks.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM

131 posts, read 182,704 times
I read somewhere that the average person buys for 11 people and spends about $900 for Christmas Gifts.

So many people I have bought gifts for in the past never said thanks and I suspect the gift ended in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships